Capt. Kate on the Summit.

Fishkillbill

Sorry, this was our first cruise. We thought they would eat in some sort of employee dining area.

Thank you for your post. When we were on Princess the captain was very visible on our sailing. He attended our meet and greet, we saw him swimming in the pool and he was also present at the L.G.B.T. gathering. Some Captains are very social and some are rarely seen.

All Captains have lunch at the buffet all the time. Why is this news? Oh wait, because she's female [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, aren't you sweet?

You know, not all of us have had 571 days at sea.

Or even 57.

Or even 5.

I have personally never seen a captain eating anywhere. I once saw one of the comedians eating at the buffet and thought it was weird that he would eat with us common folks. (Especially after all the folks he had picked on the night before!)

Just my opinion but I think it intrusive to think of even filming a captain having lunch in the buffet, let alone putting it onto YouTube. Luckily it's hard to see much, although I do feel sorry for the lady in the pink tee shirt!

Dear OP:

As a frequent cruiser I'm always glad when a new cruiser posts reactions to a first cruise. Your first cruise will be special no matter how many you take. Mine was on the Sitmar Fairwind exactly 40 years ago. I can understand your excitement at seeing the Captain at the buffet. Many Captains do indeed dine at the buffet, usually with other officers. Very few sit alone or with passengers. I have not met Captain Kate, but those who I've met who have cruised with her all agree that she is exceptional. Enjoy your cruising experience.

Just my opinion but I think it intrusive to think of even filming a captain having lunch in the buffet, let alone putting it onto YouTube. Luckily it's hard to see much, although I do feel sorry for the lady in the pink tee shirt!

That would be my wife, Cathy. She didn't mind.

Thanks for your post and video. We have sailed on numerous cruises and have never seen the Captain dine at the Buffet, but have seen Captain's dining in the MDR on several occasions with guests/friends.

We enjoyed our sailing with Captain Kate this past June. Loved her humor and her openness and mingling with the pax. Currently on Reflection nearing the end of a 15-day TA, and I can recall seeing the Captain only on one occasion.

We have not sailed with Captain Kate but everything I read about her is positive. When on Millennium last March - April, Captain Nicholas Cristodoulakis was everywhere. He was so personable and easy to talk to. I think they have a very responsible job and I say hat's off to them when they spend some of their free time chatting with the passengers.

Fishkillbill, I hope you didn't get enough of Celebrity and that you and your wife will be back to enjoy another cruise.

We have not sailed with Captain Kate but everything I read about her is positive. When on Millennium last March - April, Captain Nicholas Cristodoulakis was everywhere. He was so personable and easy to talk to. I think they have a very responsible job and I say hat's off to them when they spend some of their free time chatting with the passengers.

Fishkillbill, I hope you didn't get enough of Celebrity and that you and your wife will be back to enjoy another cruise.

Have enjoyed cruising with Capt. Nicholas many times on Connie. He would walk through a lounge and speak with passengers. Often he would ask if he could join them. He usually had a light breakfast in Michael's Club where he would join Zeniths and Suite passengers. Capt. Tasos often eats in the buffet. A number of Captains hold daily hours at Al Bacio. A few Captains are less social and tend to be quite private. I'm fine with that so long as they know not to steer toward the rocks.

Edited by Orator

We sailed with Captain Kate on her 1st full voyage as Master of the Ship. She was everywhere, including a party in the Penthouse Suite that we were invited to. Fast forward 6 months to Eclipse where we not only did not see the Captain, we saw very little of any of the officers; and when we did they kept to themselves, not even a hello.

Have enjoyed cruising with Capt. Nicholas many times on Connie. Capt. Tasos often eats in the buffet. A number of Captains hold daily hours at Al Bacio. A few Captains are less social and tend to be quite private.

I have noticed a real downward spiral in staff interaction and officer visibility.

There are some captains that are stellar while others have found an invisibility shroud. In addition to the good ones mentioned, I would like to add captain Manetas and Captain George. Perhaps other cruisers have spotted senior officers more frequently on their voyages but I'm sad that others have become recluses.

I have noticed a real downward spiral in staff interaction and officer visibility.

There are some captains that are stellar while others have found an invisibility shroud. In addition to the good ones mentioned, I would like to add captain Manetas and Captain George. Perhaps other cruisers have spotted senior officers more frequently on their voyages but I'm sad that others have become recluses.

Arno:

As you know better than most the Captain sets the tone for the other officers, A socially active Captain, a socially active staff. Yes, there are a few that are usually invisible. Sometimes it can vary from cruise to cruise. We were on a B2B together where the Captain and Officers were highly visible the first part and hard to find on the second leg. Should add that sometimes things are happening behind the scenes that require the Captain's attention.

If a captain wants to mingle with the passengers, good for her/him. I am sure it is appreciated and enjoyed. And if an officer is making a public presentation, I think it would usually be okay to video. But to video someone just minding her own business going through a buffet line is, IMO, intrusive, rude and even a bit weird.

Thanks for posting Fishkillbill. I hope you enjoyed your first cruise. My wife and I sailed with Capt. Kate on Summit to Bermuda in June of this year. We saw her several times during our week onboard. We met her at the Cruise Critic meet and greet, during photos on formal night, and walking on deck one afternoon she recognized us and stopped to chat a moment. Captain Kate was always approachable and patient with the many passengers she ran into during each work day. She seemed to really enjoy this part of her job.

We have been on many cruises over the years with a variety of captains. Some have been very visible around the ship and seemed to enjoy the contact with the passengers and others were seldom seen and if they were they were intent on getting from point A to point B. In my opinion, Capt. Kate sets the standard for open and approachable as a captain, but I have also had brief conversations with other captains during the years at various ship activities and always found all of them to be polite, if not as excited about personal contact as Captain Kate seems to be.

I also agree that the attitude of a Captain affects the attitude of senior staff and through them the crew. I have always found the vast majority of staff on every cruise line we have been privileged to experience to be professional and trying to make our trip a wonderful experience. However, I do believe that ships with Captains who really enjoy public contact are more light-hearted and apt to "visit" with passengers about themselves etc.

Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

I'll bite.

She isn't eating. She is walking through the buffet line. You can't even see her face in the video. Hardly, intrusive! :rolleyes: