Icy Strait Point Excursions/DIY-What did you do?

cheflauraleh

I'm being so indecisive about this day. Tell me what you did, how much it cost, was it worth it or not? We are really open to anything. We are an active couple in our early to mid 30s. I feel like there's not much to DIY it in this port though. We are willing to spend money if it's going to be a great experience! Thank you!

I'm being so indecisive about this day. Tell me what you did, how much it cost, was it worth it or not? We are really open to anything. We are an active couple in our early to mid 30s. I feel like there's not much to DIY it in this port though. We are willing to spend money if it's going to be a great experience! Thank you!

I can only give you half of what you are asking. We were in ISP on 9/22 and carefully selected Glacier Wind Charters for a whale watching tour. They came with a great recommendation from several CC posters. The cost as $120/person. Unfortunately the weather turned horrible with heavy rain and rocky seas, so the tour was cancelled. Theresa was great to work with and refunded our money very quickly--it was delivered before we even got home.

With the caveat that we are going on 2 different flight tours in other ports, we are planning on an inexpensive day in Icy Strait Point/Hoonah.

We plan on Exploring on foot:

Cannery Tour

Beach Walk

Nature Trail

Boardwalk to Hoonah

With the caveat that we are going on 2 different flight tours in other ports, we are planning on an inexpensive day in Icy Strait Point/Hoonah.

We plan on Exploring on foot:

Cannery Tour

Beach Walk

Nature Trail

Boardwalk to Hoonah

This is exactly what Spousal Unit and I did. We had already spent enough on excursions elsewhere, and none of the options at Icy Strait were must-dos for our interests. It was nice to have a relaxing day to wander without much concern about schedule.

Thank you for your suggestions. We might be using it as a relaxing day. Walk to Hoonah, Cannery Museum, crab at The Office, etc... We have three other fairly expensive tours planned and if I was really excited about any of the offerings, the money wouldn't be an issue but since I'm not....

I do like the idea of ziplining but I can't convince myself it would be worth the money especially since we've ziplined in other countries for a lot less than that.

Thank you again!

One of the excursions we've most enjoyed was out of Icy Strait -- Bear Search with Teckk Outfitters. It ended up being just my husband and me, with our two guides, sneaking through the forest looking for bears. Our guides knew where to look and found more than one. It was fabulous!

We did a couple things at ISP but the one I thought was unique and I'm glad I did was something called "Alaska's Wildest Kitchen". Sort of a cooking class. The classroom was a very nice building with a horseshoe shaped counter all of the participants sat at. It's about two hours long and towards the end you get to go outside and cook your own lunch/dinner. The only thing is you've got to book it through your cruise line, whichever one it might be. I'm thinking it was around $75. It was a laid back and relaxing time - I wouldn't need to do it again but if I was there and had friends who wanted to do it I'd be right there. :D Here's the link to their web page.

Alaska's Wildest Kitchen

Good luck and have fun! :D

This is exactly what Spousal Unit and I did. We had already spent enough on excursions elsewhere, and none of the options at Icy Strait were must-dos for our interests. It was nice to have a relaxing day to wander without much concern about schedule.

Thanks for the validation. I keep hearing the other POV...

Of all the cruise ports in Alaska on most cruise itineraries, Icy Strait Point is the one that I would try to plan some excursion vs. just walking around. Much more to do/see in other ports by walking around than in Icy Strait Point/Hoonah. To each his/her own for sure, but honestly there isn't much in Hoonah to see on your own.

Hoonah is the one place on the inside passage, that has ground, brown bear viewing options.

I too have gone with and highly recommend TECKK Outfitters. I was again there, twice this year and agree, there are some excellent tours to consider. I don't waste my time in Alaska, and have preferences I take advantage of. :) Figure out what YOU want to accomplish on your Alaska visit. :)

I highly recommend F.I.S.H.E.S. Whale watching tour. Been out with them twice !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Highly recommend as well....have used them twice and already booked with them for next June...still time upon return to walk around...

It's been a number of years but I had a great day watching bears with Brown Bear Lodge. They drove around and seemed to know pretty well where the bears were and we watched numerous ones feeding in the river. Drove around to several other spots with no real luck so went back to the original location after lunch as saw more. Not sure what month you are going so don't know if this would work for you.

• 2 months later...

We went whale watching in ISP (Hoonah) this past September with Glacier Wind Charters. It was amazing! We are going out with them again this June. Their boat is a 6 person max so there is never anyone standing in front of you blocking the view. It is $120pp for a 3.5 hour trip. It is definitely worth the money. You will want to book something in ISP, because there isn't much to see/do just walking around.

I can only give you half of what you are asking. We were in ISP on 9/22 and carefully selected Glacier Wind Charters for a whale watching tour. They came with a great recommendation from several CC posters. The cost as $120/person. Unfortunately the weather turned horrible with heavy rain and rocky seas, so the tour was cancelled. Theresa was great to work with and refunded our money very quickly--it was delivered before we even got home.

We were on this same sailing with Pizzalady1 and the weather WAS horrible that day. We booked the In Alaska's Wild Kitchen I think it was called thru the cruiseline. A little pricey but we enjoyed it. We cooked halibut and salmon over an alderwood fire. We also got the shuttle from the cruise port into town ($5 per person each way I think). We walked around but didn't stay long as we had a monsoon and heavy winds that day due to a huge storm front. To be honest, this cruise port needs more options.

We went whale watching in ISP (Hoonah) this past September with Glacier Wind Charters. It was amazing! We are going out with them again this June. Their boat is a 6 person max so there is never anyone standing in front of you blocking the view. It is $120pp for a 3.5 hour trip. It is definitely worth the money. You will want to book something in ISP, because there isn't much to see/do just walking around.

I am booked with Glacier Wind Charters for this May, and the current price is $170.40 (with tax).

I am booked with Glacier Wind Charters for this May, and the current price is $170.40 (with tax).

Yes, I'm sorry. The $170pp you posted is correct and that is what I paid too. I was looking at the wrong thing when I posted that. Thanks.

We went with F.I.S.H.E.S on our first cruise and had a great time. Saw humpback whales bubble feeding up close, mama bear and cubs and some very inquisitive seals, also up close. Was a great trip and are going to do it again in August.