Once a day room cleaning trial.

Hotdog 52

Again, how is that punishment? Your cabin is cleaned once instead of twice so that's half as much so you get half the gratuity.:confused:

Bill

Let me put it this way. First of all, the room is never "cleaned" twice. At night they just make the bed, put a towel animal on it, and replace towels. Gratuities for cabin services is less than $4 per day per person. Are you telling me that $4 is too much, and instead, you will give them $2 to do all of the same things for you in one visit?

Keep in mind that each steward has an assistant who also shares the gratuities, so that makes it $1 each if you cut the tip in half.

Should cruise lines pay higher wages and eliminate gratuities? Probably but that won't happen because fares will increase as a result. It's just like going to a restaurant. I'd rather not have to tip, but it is customary so I do it. Many restaurants now rush servers to get tables in and out as fast as possible, but I don't cut their tips as a result.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Doggielover68

Room is being made up once and not twice.

No ice in the evenings or fresh towels so obviously we are getting less than before.

So you go to grocery store and they discontinue gallon size of milk and replace it with half gallon at same price. Still willing to pay the same for less?

Like I said. Want ice in the evening? Ask for it. They will bring it to you. Want fresh towels? Ask for it. They will bring it to you.

As for the milk, if I wanted milk, I would still pay for it. I still want to cruise, so I pay the higher prices.

Let me put it this way. First of all, the room is never "cleaned" twice. At night they just make the bed, put a towel on it, and replace towels. Gratuities for cabin services is less than $4 per day per person. Are you telling me that $4 is too much, and instead, you will give them $2 to do all of the same things for you in one visit?

Keep in mind that each steward has an assistant who also shares the gratuities, so that makes it $1 each if you cut the tip in half.

Should cruise lines pay higher wages and eliminate gratuities? Probably but that won't happen because fares will increase as a result. It's just like going to a restaurant. I'd rather not have to tip, but it is customary so I do it. Many restaurants now rush servers to get tables in and out as fast as possible, but I don't cut their tips as a result.

i agree about the restaurant statement, however, do you tip the dish washer and cook also like you do on a cruise.

Let me put it this way. First of all, the room is never "cleaned" twice. At night they just make the bed, put a towel animal on it, and replace towels. Gratuities for cabin services is less than $4 per day per person. Are you telling me that $4 is too much, and instead, you will give them $2 to do all of the same things for you in one visit?

Tips for us are over $16 a day. They will be $8 if I only receive once a day service.

i agree about the restaurant statement, however, do you tip the dish washer and cook also like you do on a cruise.

No, because those are not tipped positions. They get paid at least minimum wage. I don't tip every staff member of a cruise either. My point is that I pay tips wherever it is expected. I don't like to stiff people based on what a corporation decides.

Edited by Doggielover68

Cooks and dish washers are salaried employees. They do not get tips.

i was always told by the carnival employees that they are under contract and paid a salary also. They are not paid by the hour. But they get tips also.

i have always and will continue to always Tip based on service I receive and to the ones that directly contact with me. Others may or may not agree and that is your right as a person. Just funny how everyone believes that if you dont believe the way they do you must be wrong. Its like politics. If you vote for someone else you must be wrong because there is only one correct answer.

I like twice a day because i like clean towels and Ice to always be there and I should not have to call when i need them. I also am one of the ^&*%% holes that remove auto tips (Call me cheap if you want I dont care). However on a 7 day cruise i give $100 to my steward and $50 to his assistant. I also tip $2 per drink in cash for each one ordered. I do not tip because Carnival or the people on this board thinks I should but because someone has gone above and beyond what I expect from my cruise costs.

You can always ask for 2 times a day. Cleaning has only done once a day all along anyway, while the 2nd visit was to make bed and check towels and trash. Bedding has only been changed once on 6-9 days, 2 times on 10-14. There are many times I slept in and they could not get in to do the morning anyway so I just tell the Steward to do which ever is easiest. Which is usually evening anyway. As long as I have fresh ice in my bucket, fresh towels (hanging them up does not work as they do not dry in that small non ventilated area- plus I am on vacation and love a fresh fluffy towel!), bed made once, fun times, and general cleaning I am good. If I needed anything then I hit the 'housekeeping' button on the phone and with in 2 minutes I get what I need. The fact that Carnival changed policy does not mean the Stewards do not do an outstanding job for us individually even while getting more rooms to clean. So you can have your twice a day if you want, they are still providing service we expect so why would anyone reduce their money? If they do not provide service that is when you take away the tips. So there should be no complains about a business trying to find a way to save money and still provide service since that is what they are in business for- profit. I get tired of hearing 'cut backs'. Change does not equate to cut backs! If anything Carnival has invested Billions for new ships, 2.0 upgrades that DO NOT COST EXTRA like other cruise lines, and port upgrades.

Edited by code_d

We just got off the Glory yesterday. I promised Jimbo I would report on this topic after the cruise, so...

We got twice a day service, no card, no questions asked. It just happened, as on every other Carnival cruise I've been on. I was so relieved to not have to adjust gratuities. We also had an ice bucket in the room and it was filled twice a day. Thanks Carnival.

Thanks for reporting back on that.

I don't agree with you on much but I do on this. 2x cleaning = full tips. 1x cleaning = half tips. Their choice.

Just to keep an iron in the fire....so to speak, does that mean that if they killed the trial and then cut the rooms by half that the room steward services, you would double the tips?

Wonder if people really want to go back to "real" cruising where rooms had two twin beds bolted to the floor, served only 3 meals a day and you were "forced" to eat at designated times. Daytime activities were shuffleboard, skeet shooting, or bingo. At night there was a piano bar and cards. But you were treated like royalty...the staff outnumbered the guests and you paid a couple of months wages for the privilege. Obviously people loved it because "nothing" has changed, or has it?

This is the point you made that I think got lost in the shuffle. People scream "cut back" at any change they don't like but eagerly gulp up the changes that favor them... Well, it's a shift of priorities really. Many chocolates weren't getting eaten, etc, so some things go so other things can be added. I hated cruising as a kid in the 90s and didn't try it for ages as an adult because I remembered how formal and rigid it always seemed, but I enjoy it now. The priorities align better.

For the record, I do get being upset if your steward was rude, incompetent, or lied to you. I would report that to Guest Services if a steward lied, told me they had to only do 1x daily service (and I'm actually fine with 1x daily service to most degrees but not with being lied to...)

OK..I'll bite.

What services do people expect in the morning from a steward, and what services do they expect at night?

Personally I'm fine with my bed made in the morning, fresh towels once a day (personally I hang up wet towels after use and I wash in the shower so towels do stay clean), my trash can emptied, and bathroom surfaces given a wipe. Toilet paper kept stocked, tissues kept stocked, and (if I have detritus laying around) a quick clean up.

Don't give a hoot about ice (get my own when I need it), having covers turned down, continual fresh towels (I guess some people were never taught to hang up towels to dry), towel animals, a full time maid, someone to move my discarded clothes from chair a to b, or pick them up from the floor, someone to pick up after my kids because I'm too lazy to do so.

I'm fine with 1x daily for the most part, but I sometimes like fresh towels because they don't seem to dry right in the cruise ship bathroom (no ventilation or something?) and sometimes trash needs to go out more than 1x daily depending on what setup you get (some rooms seem to have 2 trash cans, some only 1). So I get it to a degree but I find people are a little hysterical (also I see reviews where people expect what seems like a maid or butler -- like the steward to pick up trash that isn't in the trash can or near it or clean their balcony windows or stupid stuff). I'd be fine with 1x daily if we had enough extra towels on hand and enough room for trash, so it all depends.

Edited by berrieh
spelling

Just to keep an iron in the fire....so to speak, does that mean that if they killed the trial and then cut the rooms by half that the room steward services, you would double the tips?

The amount of rooms the steward has to clean should not enter into the equation one way or the other.:)

YMMV

Bill

Room is being made up once and not twice.

No ice in the evenings or fresh towels so obviously we are getting less than before.

So you go to grocery store and they discontinue gallon size of milk and replace it with half gallon at same price. Still willing to pay the same for less?

If you need ice or fresh towels call and ask for them (or does your mouth and fingers not work while on vacation)...or are you just too lazy?

Again, basing tips on what is expected because it happened on some cruise in the past is not what tipping on "the current" cruise is about. If your room is cleaned and you are given fresh towels in the am why do you think that someone not stopping by your cabin and refreshing ice that you may not have used or picking up your towels that you left strewn across the floor because you were too lazy to hang them up warrants their tips being slashed. You still got 90% of the room service you expected. If you want oto cut your tip by 10%, be my guest...but to insinuate that you received only half of the services offered is ludicrous.

And paying for commodity is not the same as tipping for a service. If withholding tips is your thing....have at it. There is always some excuse for someone not tipping, legitimate or not.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

If you need ice or fresh towels call and ask for them (or does your mouth and fingers not work while on vacation)...or are you just too lazy?

Again, basing tips on what is expected because it happened on some cruise in the past is not what tipping on "the current" cruise is about. If your room is cleaned and you are given fresh towels in the am why do you think that someone not stopping by your cabin and refreshing ice that you may not have used or picking up your towels that you left strewn across the floor because you were too lazy to hang them up warrants their tips being slashed. You still got 90% of the room service you expected. If you want oto cut your tip by 10%, be my guest...but to insinuate that you received only half of the services offered is ludicrous.

And paying for commodity is not the same as tipping for a service. If withholding tips is your thing....have at it. There is always some excuse for someone not tipping, legitimate or not.

First of all have never withheld tips on any of our 30 plus Carnival cruises so why even bring that up?

I dont know about you but hate to dry myself using a wet towel and usually when cruising in the Caribbean twice a day showering is our norm.

The autotips have always been based on service we receive which has been 2x for steward always.

Never said how much of the tip we would withhold but if the time comes when this happens we will withhold something to make our point but only after requesting usual service from everyone involved.

I was all prepared to be asked on the Triumph but it never came up. In fact my steward introduced himself and said I'm sure you will want extra towels right? Is said yes that would be great. Then he asked if there was anything else we'd be needing and I told him no. He said he'd be on duty starting at 8am the next morning and gave us his card.

We got twice a day service, ice, which we didn't ask for or need, extra towels and towel animals every night along with turn down. Great service like always.

On the flip side there was a horrid woman down the hall constantly barking orders at her poor steward an assistant. Once I heard her complaining that the assistant was taking too long getting 3 buckets of ice and coffee WHAT? that is not even her job, I don't know why they even put up with that type of behavior. I'm sure she removed their tips anyways, she was awful.

Wow. I'm lazy I guess for leaving my towels on the floor when there are NOT ENOUGH towel racks to hang up five bath towels, five pool towels, assorted hand towels and wash cloths, plus five swimsuits and cover-ups. And wanting those wet towels replaced twice a day without having to call and ask or track down my steward is also terribly lazy. No one is allowed to be lazy on a cruise!! :rolleyes:

Expecting the same service that I paid less for last year is completely ridiculous of me. It's just my excuse not to tip, even though I have happily paid the tips for FIVE people and extra cash at the end of every cruise. I agree that once-a-day service would not necessary be half the service -- at least for people who do not have upper beds that used to be put up and down every day -- but it's not 90% either.

I will not reduce tips unless I have a terribly rude steward, but the service I receive on a cruise is a major factor in my decision whether it's worth my money and time to take a cruise instead of the many other vacation choices that I have.

The issue is that they still work the same amount of time they did before this program was implemented. They now have more cabins per steward.

Take care,

Mike

It's not my job to pay someone else's tips. I pay for service to ME. If service to ME is cut in half, so are the tips. I don't care what their other workload is.