Once a day room cleaning trial.

Hotdog 52

I'm not punishing anyone. If I get full service (2xdaily cleaning) they get full tips. If I get half service it's half tips. why would anyone over pay???

If Carnival doesn't like that they can always make the tips mandatory and non-adjustable.

You might want to ask where your gratuities go. The tips don't just go to your steward, so when you cut the tips, you are also messing with other cruise employees. :o

Trial is still going on and will end with them telling us almost everyone is happy with once a day and we will give the customers what they want.

LOL yep that's exactly what will happen. I can almost see it. With big innocent eyes. "We just did what you wanted!"

Yep that's what I wanted. My husband is a big tipper to our room steward. He usually gives $100. For no reason then her really appreciates the service. I guarantee if they cut down to once a day there will be no extra tip. We are not demanding. In fact have never asked for anything extra in our room, not even ice. And, we are neat people so we are easy. Twice a day is what I still want. I guess it makes me feel pampered, not something I get at home

I remember seeing complaints constantly on Heald's page about room stewards cleaning the rooms twice a day prior to the beginning of this trial. It was actually a significant number and I remember because I found that having your room cleaned up for you twice a day while you are out having fun to be an odd thing to complain about. But... many people did not appreciate having the stewards in their room that often.

Then Carnival came out with the cards and there has been lots of feedback that there was confusion that there was not a "both" option even though Heald was posting regularly that we could choose both. Then Carnival redid the cards - I noticed there was still no "both" option, but Carnival was still stating through social media that you are allowed to choose both. Then I've seen people getting of the ships saying the room stewards were not really 'allowing' them the both option.

Hopefully Carnival gets this cleared up soon and adds a "both" option to the cards in addition to morning or evening so that people can get the service that works best for them. Should Carnival not though, my gratuities will not change. The room stewards still do amazing work, whether they visit once or twice and are still 'on call' during the day to assist with additional needs even when they are not physically cleaning your room.

I am one of those that would rather Carnival just incorporate gratuities into the price up front, paying the appropriate amount to the workers, and then we tip extra as desired throughout the cruise.

So you're cutting his/her tip in half for not doing the job 2x..do you reward him for doing 2x extra things he/she does for you and reciprocate by giving more gratuities?

We do.

On our upcoming cruise, we are asking the steward to put up the bunk everyday and make it up at night for our teen daughter. We will tip him extra for this because it's extra work for him, and a bit of a hassle, i'm sure.

I like the cabin service twice a day. On my last cruise, the steward asked which one I wanted and I said twice, as usual. I got the feeling he wasn't too happy, he kind of made a face. I don't want to have to deal with that on my cruise.

If it goes to once a day, I'll tip half if i'm not asking for anything above and beyond from them.

You're cutting the recommended portion of the cabin steward gratuities for something the steward had no control over -- this is still hypothetical but if it comes to fruition, it will be a corporate decision -- so you're penalizing someone for doing their job appropriately according to company policy.

I know I know - you don't care. So you're cutting his/her tip in half for not doing the job 2x..do you reward him for doing 2x extra things he/she does for you and reciprocate by giving more gratuities?

Why make a statement and then make the response too? What does that give me to do? if you understand my point of view there is no point in restating it. that's just useless.

But to rehash it again, in YOUR opinion I may be penalizing the steward by actually paying for the service I actually receive. Congrats, now everyone else knows YOUR point of view. I do not hold that point of view. And who are you to decide what I do and don't care about. I care about receiving my two services a day and I'm not going to pay for two if I don't receive them. If you want to pay for something you don't get, go for it, knock yourself out, pat yourself on the back. Nobody cares. But the tip has always been for two services and that is what I expect.

BTW, the steward does nothing for me above what is expected for the tip, ice for the cooler, make the bed, change the sheets. I have to wonder what many of you ask for from your steward to reward tipping above Carnival's recommendations???

If you don't like my point of view or opinion......well......the fact is......tough. You have no control over what "I" tip. if you want to worry yourself over things you have no control over, have at it. :rolleyes:

You might want to ask where your gratuities go. The tips don't just go to your steward, so when you cut the tips, you are also messing with other cruise employees. :o

Please read the full thread. I've already taken that into account and explained in previous posts.

But the fact of the matter is, tips are not mandatory. They can be adjusted. If I receive the service I have received on my past 9 Carnival cruises, tips stay in place. If not, they get adjusted. Can't make it any simpler than that.

LOL yep that's exactly what will happen. I can almost see it. With big innocent eyes. "We just did what you wanted!"

Yep that's what I wanted. My husband is a big tipper to our room steward. He usually gives $100. For no reason then her really appreciates the service. I guarantee if they cut down to once a day there will be no extra tip. We are not demanding. In fact have never asked for anything extra in our room, not even ice. And, we are neat people so we are easy. Twice a day is what I still want. I guess it makes me feel pampered, not something I get at home

Ice has never been an "extra". It is simply now on demand so ice isn't wasted and the stewards don't have to clean up the condensation from unwanted/unused ice which I believe is a smart thing to do.

We think much like you. We want the room cleaned in the morning (easy peesy since we're pretty tidy) then dry towels and ice in the evening.

Passengers do not have access to these things and thus they need to be delivered. Not being able to get this 2nd visit with ice and towels is a deal breaker for us.:(

Even getting ice twice a day and keeping it in the fridge when not in use, it all melts before the next visit by the steward. Can't imagine only getting ice once a day. Do you want a cold drink in the evening and morning or in the afternoon and before dinner?

OK..I'll bite.

What services do people expect in the morning from a steward, and what services do they expect at night?

Personally I'm fine with my bed made in the morning, fresh towels once a day (personally I hang up wet towels after use and I wash in the shower so towels do stay clean), my trash can emptied, and bathroom surfaces given a wipe. Toilet paper kept stocked, tissues kept stocked, and (if I have detritus laying around) a quick clean up.

Don't give a hoot about ice (get my own when I need it), having covers turned down, continual fresh towels (I guess some people were never taught to hang up towels to dry), towel animals, a full time maid, someone to move my discarded clothes from chair a to b, or pick them up from the floor, someone to pick up after my kids because I'm too lazy to do so.

Morning - cleaned like they always do, bed made, stuff wiped down, vacuumed, restock tp if needed. Evening, bed turned down (I'm on vacation!), fresh towels, fun times, towel animal. Evening stuff should take them 5 minutes.

We leave the room tidy, and when we bring the kids and they have their own room, if they leave it messy (22 year old hasn't learned), then we tell the steward to leave it alone.

Edited by skrams

I strongly suggest if you don't like only once a day to contact Carnival directly.

I don't believe for one minute this is to help the room Steward.

They will say even if its not true this is what the people want-

When I first cruised there were no water slides or specialty restaurants,

I went on the BIG RED BOAT- They were Amazing!

At the restaurants you felt like you had your own personal waiter, they knew you name and what you ordered to drink each night-never rushed

The room steward knew you by name and you saw him often and they cleaned your room.

They had a captain Gala with free drinks anything you wanted.

The basic rooms were huge.

Now I don't expect that kind of service anymore but it is nice to have have a room cleaned twice a day without feeling bad about it.the truth is you can always hang out a do not disturb sign if you don't want your room cleaned.

I enjoy cruising but it has gotten to the point where all inclusive s are cheaper.

Even getting ice twice a day and keeping it in the fridge when not in use, it all melts before the next visit by the steward. Can't imagine only getting ice once a day. Do you want a cold drink in the evening and morning or in the afternoon and before dinner?

Before long the new challenge on Carnival will be finding a staff member to fix the self-serve ice making machines provided for guests to get their own ice on the ships. Maybe the stewards will then be cross-trained as HVAC and ice machine repair persons so in addition to cleaning 37 cabins they can attend to cabin ac and heating service requests and get those ice machines back into service pronto to keep the guests happy so they'll want to return time and again. I know this will give the beards another avenue to pursue but then again maybe they will rethink their madness and say " enough!!! " and turn the ship around, so to speak. For the sake of their guests and stock holders alike I hope they do.

$_3.JPG?set_id=2

Before long the new challenge on Carnival will be finding a staff member to fix the self-serve ice making machines provided for guests to get their own ice on the ships. Maybe the stewards will then be cross-trained as HVAC and ice machine repair persons so in addition to cleaning 37 cabins they can attend to cabin ac and heating service requests and get those ice machines back into service pronto to keep the guests happy so they'll want to return time and again. I know this will give the beards another avenue to pursue but then again maybe they will rethink their madness and say " enough!!! " and turn the ship around, so to speak. For the sake of their guests and stock holders alike I hope they do.

$_3.JPG?set_id=2

I bring my own HVAC/Air quality expert with me. If self repair becomes the norm I will hang a sign on our door. :p

He is happier working anyway.

There has been more than one time I have had to keep him from 'fixing' something and other times when it has worked out great. ;)

$_3.JPG?set_id=2

Self serve ice machines??? Is this really happening? Can you imagine the uncleanliness of this?

I bring my own HVAC/Air quality expert with me. If self repair becomes the norm I will hang a sign on our door. :p

He is happier working anyway.

There has been more than one time I have had to keep him from 'fixing' something and other times when it has worked out great. ;)

He's going to be handier than a pocket on a shirt very soon. Hang on to him :)

I expect room service twice a day as usual. I also would like ice delivered to my room every day. I hate that the stewards are working so hard. It is unfair that Carnival gives them so much work. We always give our room steward money the first day for the extra work that we ask for. I think it is unfair that we feel like we have to pay extra for services previously offered. The price of the cruises has not gone down. We do love cruising Carnival as we do feel we get the most for the dollar, however, we will not hesitate to seek other cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I expect room service twice a day as usual. I also would like ice delivered to my room every day. I hate that the stewards are working so hard. It is unfair that Carnival gives them so much work. We always give our room steward money the first day for the extra work that we ask for. I think it is unfair that we feel like we have to pay extra for services previously offered. The price of the cruises has not gone down. We do love cruising Carnival as we do feel we get the most for the dollar, however, we will not hesitate to seek other cruise lines.

Don't feel sorry for them. If you ever take the time to have a conversation with them, there are so many that have been with Carnival for 10+ years, so it must not be that bad.

Also, I don't think you need to tip them upfront. They know what their job is and they may perceive it as a bribe. If they do extra things you may ask for, just give extra the last day of the cruise.

I do take the time to chat with them. They are always professional but when we see them up and down the halls, we can see how many more rooms they have than before. Yes, the job they have on a cruise ship is better than what they would have at home, just being away from their family, must be super hard on them. We do pay the gratuities as expected. We also give additional tips at the end of the cruise. I still feel best giving them an additional amount when I make extra requests that Carnival no longer offers.

How many times have you tipped the housekeeping crew at a hotel.

Wait, do people not tip daily at hotels?

I leave a tip daily. Though at a nice hotel we stayed at pretty recently, we had some odd hours and didn't get service daily so they didn't get tipped daily (didn't come for service during when we were out of the room, same tip got left for the next day, though I tipped if we called for extra towels -- we had like 10 towels though so it was no big deal that they came at inopportune times on some days).

But other than that, I cannot think of a time I've not left 2-5$ daily.