Drinks packages confusion

groovechick

We're looking at a possible Celebrity cruise next year. Have never sailed with them before (3 P&O, 1 RCCI). The drinks package deals they are offering look very attractive, but if I take up a classic alcoholic package, do I still have to pay the 18% gratuity, or is that included in the price?

If it's on top of the list price for a cocktail, beer, or whatever, do they just debit my cruise card for gratuity percentage? How does it work please?

Also would my son (who will be 16 at time of cruise) be able to have a glass of wine with his dinner? He can on P&O, where children can have a drink with a meal from the age of 16, but might this be different on a US cruise line?

Thank you

We're looking at a possible Celebrity cruise next year. Have never sailed with them before (3 P&O, 1 RCCI). The drinks package deals they are offering look very attractive, but if I take up a classic alcoholic package, do I still have to pay the 18% gratuity, or is that included in the price?

If it's on top of the list price for a cocktail, beer, or whatever, do they just debit my cruise card for gratuity percentage? How does it work please?

Also would my son (who will be 16 at time of cruise) be able to have a glass of wine with his dinner? He can on P&O, where children can have a drink with a meal from the age of 16, but might this be different on a US cruise line?

Thank you

Great is included.

Don't think they'll serve your son alcohol at 16 anywhere in the World, but basically they follow the legal drinking age in the region they are sailing.

Great is included.

Don't think they'll serve your son alcohol at 16 anywhere in the World, but basically they follow the legal drinking age in the region they are sailing.

It is legal in the UK for someone aged 16 to drink wine with a table meal, provided it was bought by someone over 18

21 and over if sailing from US ports. 18 and over from some other ports if a waiver is signed by a parent/guardian. Official policy is on their website. Your 16-year-old will not be permitted to drink onboard.

What is Celebrity's Alcohol Policy?

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Celebrity Cruises may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Relations Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Relations to present a valid government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Celebrity Cruises cruise vacation.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

If you select the beverage package as a perk when booking then the gratuties are included.

If you purchase the beverage package then the price, $55 per day, does not include the gratuties. They are added and you will be charged a total of $64.90 per day.

If you have the package, there will be nothing else added to your account. The gratuity per drink is included in the package price so there will be no additional charges per drink (unless you buy a drink that's not included in the package, which is based on price).

Edited by bEwAbG

@groovechick -

When you ask "If it's on top of the list price for a cocktail, beer, or whatever, do they just debit my cruise card for gratuity percentage? How does it work please?"... I wasn't clear on the question. So, if you mean, "what if the price of my drink is above what is included in the package", then it depends on which package you have. With the classic (or standard) package, you pay for the entire beverage. With the premium, you pay the overage plus gratuity on the overage.

Example: Drink costs $14.50.

-With classic (or standard) package, you pay $14.50 + 18% = $17.11; it is charged to your Seapass account -- no cash except for additional gratuity.

-With premium, you pay $14.50 - $13 (the limit on premium) = $1.50 + 18% = $1.77

As a side note (and you may already know this so I apologize if it is redundant), you can get the classic as a perk, then upgrade when you get on the ship. That upgrade (from classic to premium) costs $10/pp/pd + $18% (or $11.80 per person, per day). And yes, it gets charged to your shipboard account so if you have OBC to use and like nicer wines, beers, or fancier drinks, this may be something you're interested in.

Happy cruising!

We have often had the Classic beverage package as a perk we received from either X or our TA. We have never purchased it. We have NEVER been charged ANY additional gratuity unless we decided to add an additional gratuity onto the served beverage. The ONLY time we've been charged a gratuity for a drink is if we ordered something that was not included on the Classic package and then we were charged drink + gratuity.

Thank you

The price on Celebrity web site do nót include gratitude, that will be added when you pay (no difference if you pay in advance or onboard). No extra gratitude will be added when you order something that is included in the package. :)

I'm confused now. So do you pay the 18% gratuity on top of the normal service gratuity?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If by normal service gratuity you are referring to the daily charge to your onboard account, then the answer is yes. The bar service staff are not included in the group that receives the daily gratuity, the 18% is charged on a per purchase basis.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was just on the Celebrity Reflection. We had 2 rooms. In one room we had booked with the promotion and the drink package was included. No additional gratuities were charged to our account from our drinks.

In the other room, we had no drink package, so we purchased on board, no additional gratuities were added to the account.

Point is, regardless of when you purchase it, no additional gratuities were added to our bill. The wording is confusing on the website and I wondered if there would be additional gratuities added.

I also have a question. We are booked on next years TA on the Reflection. We dont want the drink package for the first 7 nights. I want to purchase the Drink package for the remaining days only. Can I purchase the drink package that far into the cruise? Has anyone ever done this? Will I only be charged for the remaining days?

I also have a question. We are booked on next years TA on the Reflection. We dont want the drink package for the first 7 nights. I want to purchase the Drink package for the remaining days only. Can I purchase the drink package that far into the cruise? Has anyone ever done this? Will I only be charged for the remaining days?

There will be a cutoff at some point that you should confirm once on board but I think what you're doing is a common strategy. You only pay for the remaining days and not the total cost.

That seems a sensible option as our cruise is very 'port' orientated with only 1 sea day. I'm thinking the soda package for the whole cruise and then a classic package from sea day onwards. We've got 2 teen boys so I'm guessing the soda package is a 'must do'!!

That seems a sensible option as our cruise is very 'port' orientated with only 1 sea day. I'm thinking the soda package for the whole cruise and then a classic package from sea day onwards. We've got 2 teen boys so I'm guessing the soda package is a 'must do'!!

Not sure which itinerary you're looking at Castaway but Celebrity still have a deal on for UK bookings booked before 30th Nov which includes free Classic Alcohol package for first 2 adults and free non alcoholic package for guest 3 and 4

Are you booking through a travel agent or direct with celebrity ??

Not sure which itinerary you're looking at Castaway but Celebrity still have a deal on for UK bookings booked before 30th Nov which includes free Classic Alcohol package for first 2 adults and free non alcoholic package for guest 3 and 4

Are you booking through a travel agent or direct with celebrity ??

We are already booked via a TA, maybe that's where we went wrong! [emoji20]

We are already booked via a TA, maybe that's where we went wrong! [emoji20]

If you have only booked recently I would check with your TA why you haven't got the drinks package included ? Also if you've only paid the deposit it might be worth repricing the cruise today and rebook with the free drinks package - you would lose your deposit but it might be cheaper than paying for all the drinks package on the ship ??

If you have only booked recently I would check with your TA why you haven't got the drinks package included ? Also if you've only paid the deposit it might be worth repricing the cruise today and rebook with the free drinks package - you would lose your deposit but it might be cheaper than paying for all the drinks package on the ship ??

We've already booked in full. I'm beginning to get annoyed with our TA now! I think I might have words with them but they've got our money now so they won't care. Ummm lesson learnt! Thanks guys [emoji44]

Re-fared? What's that?

TA rebooks with new Perks / Price. We were on a Princess cruise and they announced Free Bev Package after we had booked. TA rebooked us at new Perk and price was $100 less than we had paid. WE did lose previous $200 OBC offer, but overall a better deal. You need to be prior to Final Payment for this. Ask TA if there is a re-booking fee.

Edited by Tedferg

We've already booked in full. I'm beginning to get annoyed with our TA now! I think I might have words with them but they've got our money now so they won't care. Ummm lesson learnt! Thanks guys [emoji44]

If you booked an inside or a guarantee cabin, then you wouldn't qualify for the beverage package as a perk. Unsure what you've reserved? The 18% gratuity on every drink is additional to the daily service charge.

Repricing on a UK booking is totally different than those reserved in the US. On UK bookings, you will lose your deposit by repricing, not so in the States. Only pointing this out so that you are aware of the differences ;).