Cabin Door Decorating ?

GranysT

I thought I read on CC earlier, that Carnival was only allowing flameproof decorations on the cabin doors? Also, that Carnival would start offering the correct decorations for sale, after Oct 1st.

I just looked at the decorations offered in the fun shops, and didn't see anything offered for the doors. I even typed in cabin door decorations, and still nothing showed up.

Am I mistaken about all this?

If Carnival is not offering the decorations for sale, does anyone know what stores might offer flameproof decorations? Thanks

Carnival does not offer any door decorations.

It is my opinion that Carnival is making it more and more difficult to decorate because they simply became tired of having their doors damaged and having to clean up the mess. Please, I know most people do remove their decorations but some don't. Additionally the tape often leaves behind a residue.

The fire resistant requirement does limit what can be used. Hospital and long term care facilities have had this requirement for years. Decorations that meet the rules can be found on line but are more expensive. There have been several threads about this lately. Post#13 has some ideas that might help you. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2420247

It is my opinion that Carnival is making it more and more difficult to decorate because they simply became tired of having their doors damaged and having to clean up the mess. Please, I know most people do remove their decorations but some don't. Additionally the tape often leaves behind a residue.

Very logical. More on housekeeping, rather than safety.

In the past, we have always put foam decorated signs on our door. After the Carnival email, I looked for approved decorations. After searching and not finding anything, I thought outside the box. Since magnets are allowed, we created and individualized car door magnets for our signs. We purchased the paper size, and they were reasonable in price. We will see how they are received when we next cruise.

I called Carnival today to inquire as to what exactly I could bring as per their new rules. I was sent to two different people and finally they said they would look into it more and send me their response via email. This is what I received. I did send them a subsequent email and will post once they respond.

Hello, we asked and Carnival does not allow the guest to bring their own decorations, it will be confiscated with no compensation. But the fun Shops offer great decorations at inexpensive prices. If you need to purchase you can call The Fun Shops at 800-5227648.

If further information is required, please contact us.

Rocio Rolffo

Guest Solutions Agent

Carnival Cruise Line | 3655 NW 87th Avenue | Miami, FL 33178 |

p: 305.599.2600 Ext. 42451 | email: RRolffo@carnival.com

We always decorate the cabin door (besides buying the cabin decorations from CCL) for my special needs dd's birthday. She will be incredibly disappointed this year! I have searched all over the internet, and have found literally one fire proof/retardant birthday item. (Beistle from Staples) We will try them on the door if/when we sail CCL this spring. I will keep the packaging to show it meets the requirements that CCL has set out. I have looked into CCL's new packages, and they seem to have "branded" their room decorations with funnel ships!! Pretty cool, but I wonder how much is concern over fire, and how much is concern over losing money from people bringing their own decorations!

I called Carnival today to inquire as to what exactly I could bring as per their new rules. I was sent to two different people and finally they said they would look into it more and send me their response via email. This is what I received. I did send them a subsequent email and will post once they respond.

Hello, we asked and Carnival does not allow the guest to bring their own decorations, it will be confiscated with no compensation. But the fun Shops offer great decorations at inexpensive prices. If you need to purchase you can call The Fun Shops at 800-5227648.

If further information is required, please contact us.

Rocio Rolffo

Guest Solutions Agent

Carnival Cruise Line | 3655 NW 87th Avenue | Miami, FL 33178 |

p: 305.599.2600 Ext. 42451 | email: RRolffo@carnival.com

That is an incorrect answer. Here is their policy straight from the website:

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, effective with cruises departing October 31, 2016 and onward, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable

Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings

You may use magnets and Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue that may leave a residue

Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door

No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies

No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite

No string lights of any kind are allowed

For the safety of all guests and crew, any decorations not made of fire retardant material or deemed flammable, will be removed and no compensation will be provided.

Stateroom decorations purchased via our Fun Shops online are made of fire retardant materials. For more information, please visit http://www.carnival.com/funshops if you are interested in making a purchase.

Where can I find flame retardant decorations?

For your convenience, we offer flame retardant decorations on our website at http://www.carnival.com/funshops. You can also check at your local party decorations stores or online but it is important to ensure the materials are truly flame retardant and to remember that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable.

This policy seems extreme. Carnival is taking away something I/my family really enjoy. Why is this necessary?

These new requirements are being mandated by our operational safety experts. Decorations not made of fire retardant material can pose a fire hazard. We want all of our guests who enjoy decorating their doors and staterooms to be able to continue to do so but it is imperative that guest and crew safety be given top priority. We very much appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

What if a guest is upset because the sku/decorations received are a different design than what they purchased?

We will offer a refund or CruiseCash for the purchase price as needed. Our Retail Assistant Managers will manage the refund process per our normal retail refund procedure.

Two months ago, we decorated our door with window clings, used painters tape to tape decorations. I bought a whiteboard from the dollar store that had magnets on the back. Very easy clean up. I will be doing the same next week, too.

Two months ago, we decorated our door with window clings, used painters tape to tape decorations. I bought a whiteboard from the dollar store that had magnets on the back. Very easy clean up. I will be doing the same next week, too.

Great suggestions - though someone else on here as commented that the window clings can leave residue on the doors - not mirror and glass though.

Oh - and 2 months ago was before the policy change....

Edited by A&Jfamily

Great suggestions - though someone else on here as commented that the window clings can leave residue on the doors - not mirror and glass though.

The window cling I got were from the Dollar store and they were the kind you can use on walls. It didn't leave any residue on the cabin door. Good luck.

That is an incorrect answer. Here is their policy straight from the website:

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, effective with cruises departing October 31, 2016 and onward, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable

Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings

You may use magnets and Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue that may leave a residue

Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door

No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies

No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite

No string lights of any kind are allowed

For the safety of all guests and crew, any decorations not made of fire retardant material or deemed flammable, will be removed and no compensation will be provided.

Stateroom decorations purchased via our Fun Shops online are made of fire retardant materials. For more information, please visit http://www.carnival.com/funshops if you are interested in making a purchase.

Where can I find flame retardant decorations?

For your convenience, we offer flame retardant decorations on our website at http://www.carnival.com/funshops. You can also check at your local party decorations stores or online but it is important to ensure the materials are truly flame retardant and to remember that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable.

This policy seems extreme. Carnival is taking away something I/my family really enjoy. Why is this necessary?

These new requirements are being mandated by our operational safety experts. Decorations not made of fire retardant material can pose a fire hazard. We want all of our guests who enjoy decorating their doors and staterooms to be able to continue to do so but it is imperative that guest and crew safety be given top priority. We very much appreciate your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

What if a guest is upset because the sku/decorations received are a different design than what they purchased?

We will offer a refund or CruiseCash for the purchase price as needed. Our Retail Assistant Managers will manage the refund process per our normal retail refund procedure.

We always decorate our door with the paper/card stock cut outs you find at Party City.

It can't be a safety issue because, if there was a fire, the decorations on the door would be no more of an excelerant than the mounds of paper flyers the give you for spa specials, watch specials, liquor sales, shopping in ports, etc, every single day.

We always decorate our door with the paper/card stock cut outs you find at Party City.

It can't be a safety issue because, if there was a fire, the decorations on the door would be no more of an excelerant than the mounds of paper flyers the give you for spa specials, watch specials, liquor sales, shopping in ports, etc, every single day.

When was the last time you cruised? This policy just went into effect a few weeks ago.

While I agree there is plenty of other flammable stuff on board, it is their policy. And there have been people that have returned and complained that their decorations were removed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me, It was me. I had to have my front door refinished.

I used cling decorations at Christmas. A few months later we noticed several odd looking areas. It became progressively worse. So even though you can't see the residue left behind it is there or in the case of my front door, there may have been a reaction between the cling and the finish. Painters tape can do the same. You can't see it or feel it but on some surfaces you will eventfully notice a collection of dust in those areas.

When was the last time you cruised? This policy just went into effect a few weeks ago.

While I agree there is plenty of other flammable stuff on board, it is their policy. And there have been people that have returned and complained that their decorations were removed

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually, the policy has been in place longer than a few weeks, they just modified it recently.

It was last August and it was a non issue. Door decorations stayed up and never heard a word about them. We are sailing this Saturday on the Miracle and I have them packed, if they take them down, then so be it.

I'm just saying logically, it can't be a safety issue.

So someone suggested buying Carnivals decorations and sticking some on the door.

Looked at their offerings, and sorry I am not paying $40 for a few door decals.

I also don't believe that this is a "safety issue". That's just an excuse.

The bean counter's figure this is another way to make money for Carnival. "Let's allow Only the decorations Carnival provides". If only half of the people who decorate their doors buys our decorations, look how much extra money we can make.

Those crafty devil's are always thinking. lol

Guess, unfortunately, my door will remain bare.

Maybe Carnival is and the majority of its passengers are tired of seeing all the crap that people post, tape, affix to the cabin doors. The company is truly trying to get rid of the “tacky” fact of the public spaces... which includes the passenger hallways.:)

Decorating cabin doors ranks up there as one of the all time most stupid ideas I've ever heard of. My four year old granddaughter's pre school door is decorated in all manner of original pieces of art and it looks like it belongs. Looks retarded on a grown woman's cruise ship cabin door. Assume this is a female invention.

Can't seem to get the correlation between a cruise ship and a pre school door. Age of the participants?

Decorating cabin doors ranks up there as one of the all time most stupid ideas I've ever heard of. My four year old granddaughter's pre school door is decorated in all manner of original pieces of art and it looks like it belongs. Looks retarded on a grown woman's cruise ship cabin door. Assume this is a female invention.

Can't seem to get the correlation between a cruise ship and a pre school door. Age of the participants?

Even if you don't understand something, it doesn't mean it's ok to ridicule it. Especially in such a misogynist manner, and since it doesn't actually affect you personally. Would you say such a thing to your granddaughter once she's an adult? I hope you are able to experience "childish" fun every once in awhile. It keeps you young. :-)

Edited by faeriemom03