MITSUGIRLYS EPIC CRUISE--2nd time around-1st from Port Canaveral

mitsugirly

Hurray!!! I have been looking forward to hearing about how your week went! Looks like the ship wanted to live up to it's name from the get go and started you off with an EPIC line up. WOW!!! That would be -bad words, bad words, bad words- trying! Happy to hear there was a glowing angelic vending machine in the terminal after all that and you were able to load up!

So Angry Orchard is my drink of choice!!! Do you happen to know if they had in on tap anywhere or was it just bottled? I was spoiled on the Escape when the Brew House had it on tap :D Since it's an American cider, we can't find it on tap here, and it's SOO much better! First world problems, right?!

I am however, very pleased that Canada caught onto Black Friday Sales since we were all heading over the boarder to shop. So, hoping to snag a good deal on an Olympus or a Nikon as I also don't want to lug the DSLR with us in Feb. I did check out the one you just got in the store, did they tell you that when you change the lens its no longer considered waterproof??

Anyways, can't wait for more, and to find out how your fun excursions went!!! :D

As always, thank you SO much for all the time and effort you put into your reviews, it is SO appreciated!

Heather

Did you post pictures on here of Kendra's cabin? I know there was someone that did and they had a lounger and that's what made me book it. I was disappointed that they didn't have one on it. I figured I could try to request one, but just never bothered doing it. The location is FABULOUS! I absolutely loved it. So easy to get to the elevators and only 1 floor up to the food. :D

I didn't post the pictures, but I did suggest the cabins because we loved the location. That was really the best part. My mom has mobility issues and it was nice not to have to wander down a long hallway in order to get to her cabin. Plus, it was easy for me to drop her at her room at night (she usually goes to sleep no earlier than 1:00) and then run up to our cabin on 17.

We were on a cruise that week too, but on Allure of the Seas! We had perfect weather, hope you guys did too. I love sailing in mid-November. Looking forward to more of your review, Epic is definitely a ship I'd like to sail in the future... looking into ships for next year. :)

PB120114%20copy-L.jpg

The workers there did break out bottled water for everyone waiting in line, so I know they were at least trying to accommodate us and knew that the crowd wasn't pleased. The only comment I remember making was that I was so glad that it was not a HOT day out and it was pretty comfortable, even though we had shorts on.

PB120117%20copy-L.jpg

After such a long wait and them pumping us with that yummy hot water outside (everyone knows I DON'T drink water, but hey, this was all I had at the moment) that it was time for a potty break before getting on the ship.

As inpatient as I am, this line would definitely test my will and fortitude.:eek:

Who me? I had to go pick up Sakari from the bus stop. First day back to school after being gone last week and she only has school today and tomorrow. Then she's off again for another 5 days. Lucky her! Then Kolin and Courtney came home and invited me out to eat with them. Sorry about disappearing. :( :D

Kim you so hilarious.:p Im talking about you cruising again!!! Just finished your San Juan and now I do not have to wait for a break because I get to indulge in another great Mitsugirly review!!!!:D

I ALWAYS buy this picture for every cruise because I do a scrapbook for Sakari to have for once I'm gone from this world (long story short, my mom was 42 when she had me, I was 42 when I had Sakari, my mom passed away and was buried on my 18th birthday, I'm scared of history repeating itself and I do everything in my power to give Sakari memories we have together because she might still be a child if I die early like my mom did and I know what it's like.

Kim, this really touched my heart. Let me tell you something I have learned from my own family that may reassure you. My father's father died at age 64 of a stroke and from that point on, my father was just certain the same would happen to him. He was 41 at the time his father died and spent 2.5 decades of his life just certain he would have a stroke and die at 64. But then dad turned 65 and had not had a stroke, not even close. His mother died at 82 of colon cancer and his older brother died at 89 of lung cancer (lifelong non-smoker!) Here dad is today age 92 and still going strong. So what happens to our parents is not necessarily what happens to us. And in my mother's family, a similar scenario played out. My grandfather died of a heart attack in his 70's and my grandmother died of liver failure at 92. My mom's older sister died of a stroke at age 79 and my mom died from complications of dementia (pneumonia and sepsis) at age 87. So what happens to our parents is not necessarily what happens to us.

I think that the books you are doing for Sakari are great and definitely keep those up because when you die a very old woman many, many decades from now, she will treasure these books especially. I know this first hand because my parents never took photos. There are no photos of our family on family trips or my dad's ships. We traveled the world and lived in so many interesting places and did some really amazing things but there are just no photos of us doing any of this at all. I guess my parents were just so busy living life that they never bothered with photos. I wish there were photos because these photos would have meant a lot to me now. But it is what it is. At least I have lots of photos of dad at work and mom playing golf and winning a lot of golf tournaments.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Kim, this is turning out to be another great review.

Too bad your trip started out bumpy and I do hope whatever happened next you still managed to have a great vacation.

I am sure your reviews are going to get me on NCL at some point but can you tell me more about these cabins. Are all of the cabins built with exposed bathrooms? I am a very easy going person however, I hate any part of bathrooms outside of bathrooms and I know I would hate a cabin like you had. What would I look for to avoid them?

Thanks, can't wait for more!

Loved your drink with you name! Thank you for taking the time to do your reviews. They are so helpful!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'm glad they are helpful.

Always love your reviews. Usually find them just before I am about to sail on that ship. But you're too late this time! [emoji12] We were on the Epic for its last western Mediterranean run this year. Then we moved over to the Jade for her transatlantic. I must say even though we enjoyed our cruise on her, I won't be looking to specifically book another trip on her unless the itinerary is right. She is too big and not really built for viewing the sea from. Just our opinion. [emoji846]

Thanks for the comments and glad you love the reviews. You beat me to it this time. I'm a sore loser now. :( I agree about how big she is and I would probably not look to book on her again either.

Hey Kim

Are you planning an Alaskan cruise?

Hold out your hand and let me smack it for typing that. I left my state with 80+ degree weather outside and came back to 30 degree weather and it had been snowing that day. I feel like I'm already in Alaska and it's the last thing on my mind at the moment. :p

Hey Kim! We were thrilled to learn you were on the Epic for the first time out of Canaveral. Have loved ALL of your cruise reviews and have used them when trying new ships, your reviews are fantastic.

So, really happy to see you on the Epic and looking forward to seeing your review. I am really hoping you had a good time

Aww sucks J, I'm blushing now. Glad you enjoy the reviews and glad to have you here with me.

Following! Love it!

Thank you!

Following along! I was on the TA cruise right before yours so it's like I'm reliving it!

What a disastrous embarkation day you had! If it makes you feel aaaaannnny better' date=' I got stuck in line outside the terminal in Barcelona for over an hour and the ship left late from there too (although apparently that was due to a sick crew member who had to leave the ship, as well as some late deliveries). [/quote']

I hope your TA cruise right before this was a better experience than mine. Aww, hate to hear about a sick crew member. I hope they are ok. Deliveries, well as long as they're delivering enough food, I'm good with that. :D

Your reviews are wonderful, I think NCL should pay you to go on their ships and write reviews.

I think you are correct. ;)

Woohoo! So happy to see you are doing another review.

Woohoo! Glad you are here to join my review.

This is great! We leave on her Dec 10th.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Hurray!!! I have been looking forward to hearing about how your week went! Looks like the ship wanted to live up to it's name from the get go and started you off with an EPIC line up. WOW!!! That would be -bad words, bad words, bad words- trying! Happy to hear there was a glowing angelic vending machine in the terminal after all that and you were able to load up!

So Angry Orchard is my drink of choice!!! Do you happen to know if they had in on tap anywhere or was it just bottled? I was spoiled on the Escape when the Brew House had it on tap Since it's an American cider, we can't find it on tap here, and it's SOO much better! First world problems, right?!

I am however, very pleased that Canada caught onto Black Friday Sales since we were all heading over the boarder to shop. So, hoping to snag a good deal on an Olympus or a Nikon as I also don't want to lug the DSLR with us in Feb. I did check out the one you just got in the store, did they tell you that when you change the lens its no longer considered waterproof??

Anyways, can't wait for more, and to find out how your fun excursions went!!!

As always, thank you SO much for all the time and effort you put into your reviews, it is SO appreciated!

Heather

Hiya there friend! That machine was my friend!

Honestly I don't know if they had it on tap since my son only drinks it from the bottle. I don't really recall seeing them pour anything on tap and if someone wanted it "not" out of the bottle, they handed them a glass with it.

I hope you find an awesome deal on the TG for Black Friday. I have been out and about on Black Friday, fighting my way, for 30+ years now. I have nothing in mind this year that I'm looking for, but it has become a ritual with me and my daughter(in-laws) that I'm along for the ride...just in case. Then breakfast in the morning to top the all night shopping off.

No, I didn't read anything about it no longer being considered waterproof. Are you talking about the lens or the camera itself? Everything I read said waterproof. The camera would still be waterproof because all you do it unscrew a little ring around the front (doesn't open it up) and screw on the lens. Everything I read online said the lens is waterproof too and I even found reviews and video of it being used for scuba and snorkeling. I didn't have any problem with it and I definitely took it under water in both the pool and when snorkeling and scuba diving. :D

Awesome! Looking forward to the rest of your review

Looking forward to having you here.

Enjoying the review.

Thank you

I didn't post the pictures, but I did suggest the cabins because we loved the location. That was really the best part. My mom has mobility issues and it was nice not to have to wander down a long hallway in order to get to her cabin. Plus, it was easy for me to drop her at her room at night (she usually goes to sleep no earlier than 1:00) and then run up to our cabin on 17.

Oh ok. It must have been someone else that posted a link to their pictures they had posted on here from awhile back. I know I seen pictures and they had a lounge chair in it. That's what gave me the perspective of just how big the balcony was.

We were on a cruise that week too, but on Allure of the Seas! We had perfect weather, hope you guys did too. I love sailing in mid-November. Looking forward to more of your review, Epic is definitely a ship I'd like to sail in the future... looking into ships for next year.

Ahhhhhh, lucky you. I have always wanted to cruise on the Allure (or Oasis). Some day I hope. Glad you had perfect weather. We have always sailed Oct/Nov/Dec and usually have perfect weather as well. I can only remember the weather being bad once before.

As inpatient as I am, this line would definitely test my will and fortitude

When I remembered to take this picture, we had already walked the length of the parking garage and back. This picture doesn't even begin to show the actual wait we had to endure. Blah :cool:

Kim you so hilarious. Im talking about you cruising again!!! Just finished your San Juan and now I do not have to wait for a break because I get to indulge in another great Mitsugirly review!!!!

Oh, oh oh oh...whoops. My bad. I thought you meant I was in the middle of posting the review and I skipped out on everyone. hehe Yep, no breaks for you!

Kim, this really touched my heart. Let me tell you something I have learned from my own family that may reassure you. My father's father died at age 64 of a stroke and from that point on, my father was just certain the same would happen to him. He was 41 at the time his father died and spent 2.5 decades of his life just certain he would have a stroke and die at 64. But then dad turned 65 and had not had a stroke, not even close. His mother died at 82 of colon cancer and his older brother died at 89 of lung cancer (lifelong non-smoker!) Here dad is today age 92 and still going strong. So what happens to our parents is not necessarily what happens to us. And in my mother's family, a similar scenario played out. My grandfather died of a heart attack in his 70's and my grandmother died of liver failure at 92. My mom's older sister died of a stroke at age 79 and my mom died from complications of dementia (pneumonia and sepsis) at age 87. So what happens to our parents is not necessarily what happens to us.

I think that the books you are doing for Sakari are great and definitely keep those up because when you die a very old woman many, many decades from now, she will treasure these books especially. I know this first hand because my parents never took photos. There are no photos of our family on family trips or my dad's ships. We traveled the world and lived in so many interesting places and did some really amazing things but there are just no photos of us doing any of this at all. I guess my parents were just so busy living life that they never bothered with photos. I wish there were photos because these photos would have meant a lot to me now. But it is what it is. At least I have lots of photos of dad at work and mom playing golf and winning a lot of golf tournaments.

You are such a wonderful person to share your story with me and it was comforting to hear. I think having my mom pass away when I was still basically in my teens with no guidance after that has just always put a damper on my thoughts about dying. I have thought about it all of my life. I sometimes harp on it. If anything doesn't feel right with me, my first thought reverts to "is it my time?" I honestly have not learned to let it go all these years and it becomes a conversation in my household a lot with my husband. I always tell him that if anything was to happen to me (and we had a cruise scheduled...which let's face it, that's always) that he is to take Sakari on it and have a good time because that it what she is use to. She deserves it and they would both need some time to recuperate. Don't ever change the plans because I'm not around any longer. I want her life to remain as "normal" for her as possible. That's just how I feel. But it's something I have always thought about...sometimes daily. I don't see it changing for the rest of my life. That's why I live every day to the fullest and try not to let too many things upset me or I get over it very quickly and move on.

I really appreciate your comments. They were comforting.

Kim, this is turning out to be another great review.

Too bad your trip started out bumpy and I do hope whatever happened next you still managed to have a great vacation.

I am sure your reviews are going to get me on NCL at some point but can you tell me more about these cabins. Are all of the cabins built with exposed bathrooms? I am a very easy going person however, I hate any part of bathrooms outside of bathrooms and I know I would hate a cabin like you had. What would I look for to avoid them?

Thanks, can't wait for more!

Thanks so much for the comments.

No worries about the cabins....well, no worries about NCL's OTHER ships. Only the Epic has bathrooms like this.

yay another mitsugirly review!

we haven't booked our next cruise yet, but I'm definitely leaning towards NCL

I hope you enjoy the review .... and of course your next cruise whatever you decide to book. Glad to have you here.

More pleeeeeeeeeease!

Coming right up.

Now it's time for the ship pictures. I have to say that this ship, by far, has been the hardest ship to get pictures of out of ALL the ships I have ever sailed. When we sailed her back in 2010, I really didn't have a lot of pictures (and everyone knows what a picture freak I am) and I just couldn't understand why. Now I wonder if it's the same reason I had this time....or I was just too busy having fun with my hubby's first cruise.

Several things hindered my picture taken abilities this cruise.

*The amount of people were just INSANE! This made it hard to get good pictures because people were just everywhere blocking the view and although I thought it in my head to scream "MOVE OUT OF MY WAY, DON'T YOU KNOW I'M TRYING TO GET THE MOST AWESOME PICTURES FOR PEOPLE ON CC?", I decided it would probably not be a wise choice.

*They have A LOT of the venues closed when they are not open. :eek: I mean CLOSED! As in if they aren't open, the doors are LOCKED! The dining rooms were locked, the theater was locked, some of the bars/venues were locked. So, when they unlocked them is when the hoards of people were flocking in and that's not the type of picture I wanted obviously.

*Trouble learning my new camera and this new fish-eye lens kinda disappointed me in a lot of the pictures. So, I was forced to take many pictures of the same thing and of course someone would get in the way on the good pictures. I found that using a fish-eye created a much darker picture than what I'm used to.

*This ship is so HUGE that I didn't even realize there were places that I didn't get until I got home and started looking at the blue prints last night to put everything into the right folders. Oops

*I missed a few things in areas that I really didn't visit often or at all.

Please forgive me if I missed anything you really wanted to see (like Spice H20...oops) or if I somehow might have the wrong picture under a certain name. Feel free to correct me if you'd like...or just deal with my insanity of knowledge, or lack there of, on the names or where the pictures might belong. I don't have the young-whipper-snapper brain I use to.

So here come the ship pictures I do have. We will start with the lower floor and work our way up (and everyone knows that walking up the stairs for me is not good these days, so feel privileged that I got them at all). :D Honestly, I took off early one morning to get a majority of them, before anyone else was out and about, and that's how some of them have no one in them. I did my duty even though I should have still been sleeping. Just for you guys.... :o

DECK 5:

TASTE MAIN DINING ROOM:

So how do you get down here? It took us a few days to figure this out. I remember seeing the escalator in the casino and always wondered where it went. We decided to head down there and found that there was one of the dining rooms. TASTE!

PB130494%20copy-L.jpg

PB130495%20copy-L.jpg

PB161935%20copy-L.jpg

PB161936%20copy-L.jpg

PB130497%20copy-L.jpg

PB161937%20copy-L.jpg

PB161945%20copy-L.jpg

PB161947%20copy-L.jpg

Everyone knows the main centerpiece of these mega ships is the hanging chandelier. It's probably one of the most photographed things on the Epic, Getaway, and Breakaway. I would be no exception and took a lot of pictures as well.

PB120223%20copy-L.jpg

PB120226%20copy-L.jpg

PB120227%20copy-L.jpg

PB161939%20copy-L.jpg

If you walk down the hall in the opposite direction, you will come to the Atrium Cafe and Bar. I will admit that I didn't even make it down to deck 5 until days later (I believe). I was so oblivious to that deck before that...which is weird.

ATRIUM CAFE AND BAR

PB130498%20copy-L.jpg

PB130500%20copy-L.jpg

Attached to this bar and around the corner you would find pastries.

PB130501%20copy-L.jpg

Also a coffee bar

PB130502%20copy-L.jpg

Tucked away in the corner is the Photo Studio. I poked my head in and was looking at all the props and such (since I'm also a "prop geek" with my own pictures at home) and I got a "Can I help you?", which startled me and I snapped a picture and ran.

PB130503%20copy-L.jpg

PB161955%20copy-L.jpg

PB130499%20copy-L.jpg

This is my last picture of the Atrium. Below it, I want to show you a picture of the Atrium that I took in 2010. Wow, what a different. I have to say I like it better now with the new carpet and different chairs.

PB161953%20copy-L.jpg

_DSC4921-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

Heading on down the hall, there was a penny coin ship maker thingy. I learned my lesson with one of these before to look and see if there are any coins in it to drop down. If there isn't, it would not work but you would still get charged. I did see a couple trying it out once during the cruise, but they looked as if it wasn't working. So, when I looked in it and didn't see any coins, I decided not to give it a try.

PB161956%20copy-L.jpg

To the right is THE PHOTO GALLERY:

They had remodeled this place too and the difference I had noticed was they now had walls with "bookshelves" with your pictures located in folders. Before I believe they were round carousels that you had to find your folder in. I think it looked a lot cleaner and nicer the way it is now. I remember them having a lot of computers to look things up, but there is an abundance amount now in several areas in there, so I'm not sure if they added more or I just don't remember that many.

PB161964%20copy-L.jpg

PB140507%20copy-L.jpg

PB140508%20copy-L.jpg