2018/2019 Sailings available 11/29

oneputt18

Could anyone offer opinions on the 2019 14 day antarctica cruise? I was thinking about antarctica for our 25th wedding anniversary as we're both huge wildlife lovers - and my DH's favorite of all animals are penguins. :)

But I'd love opinions from those more experienced with this itinerary. Is the Celebrity cruise pretty good as far as Antarctica ports go or does another cruise line generally offer better schedules, port choices or value for this route?

Are the starting fares X is charging for balcony ($4349) decent for what you get or is this one of the newly-released sailings many feel are way overpriced?

Thanks for any input!

Edited by Flafun888

Could anyone offer opinions on the 2019 14 day antarctica cruise? I was thinking about antarctica for our 25th wedding anniversary as we're both huge wildlife lovers - and my DH's favorite of all animals are penguins. :)

But I'd love opinions from those more experienced with this itinerary. Is the Celebrity cruise pretty good as far as Antarctica ports go or does another cruise line generally offer better schedules, port choices or value for this route?

Are the starting fares X is charging for balcony ($4349) decent for what you get or is this one of the newly-released sailings many feel are way overpriced?

Thanks for any input!

First off, there are no Antarctic ports on this type of sailing, known as a "drive by." You will only see the continent from a distance but never go ashore.

Honestly, I would compare the cost of an expedition cruise to Antarctica before making a decision. Undoubtedly, it will be more expensive but the experience will be night and day, honestly.

3 years ago we did an expedition trip (on Ponant). 13 landings on the continent in 7 days. You actually stand next to penguins, elephant and Weddell seals. We were took a zodiac to a landing on a huge ice floe in the middle of the Bransfield straight, where no humans (but one penguin) had ever walked before.

As I said, it will be more expensive, but shop around. Make sure you get the total price of the Celebrity trip for a non-guarantee cabin including all fees for comparisons. Then do some research to compare the experiences.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, EC Cruise! It helps. All advice/insights help at this point - just in beginning planning stages. Will save your note. (Also thinking maybe I should ask this as a separate thread rather than hijacking this one.)

Edited by Flafun888

Really blah about the itins for late 2018 and spring 2019 for the caribbean. Only choice is Equinox out of Miami. Love to go on Equinox as we have not been on her yet, but the itins leave a lot to be desired. We are not fans of Key West and go to Nassau a gazillion times a year on short cruises. So we booked the western on Equinox hoping maybe Edge will come out with something better.

The only thing that was disappointing - we booked the Celebrity cruises on Royal when they were offering the 2 perks, so took bev pkg and $300 OBC. When we moved them to the 2018-2019 itins we LOST the $300. Even though we were told we could move them to whenever and not lose the perk, it is not true. That double perk offer ends end of April 2018 so we lost them when we moved our cruises to Dec 2018 and April 2019.

Edited by karena1

First off, there are no Antarctic ports on this type of sailing, known as a "drive by." You will only see the continent from a distance but never go ashore.

Honestly, I would compare the cost of an expedition cruise to Antarctica before making a decision. Undoubtedly, it will be more expensive but the experience will be night and day, honestly.

3 years ago we did an expedition trip (on Ponant). 13 landings on the continent in 7 days. You actually stand next to penguins, elephant and Weddell seals. We were took a zodiac to a landing on a huge ice floe in the middle of the Bransfield straight, where no humans (but one penguin) had ever walked before.

As I said, it will be more expensive, but shop around. Make sure you get the total price of the Celebrity trip for a non-guarantee cabin including all fees for comparisons. Then do some research to compare the experiences.

Hope this helps.

I just checked the Ponant website and others going to Antartica and starting is 10 grand a person. I'm spending 12 grand total including everything plus insurance for 14 days. We are also planning on spending a week before the cruise exploring Argentina so it should be a great trip.

Edited by dolllover

Thanks for any input!

From everything I have read, your experience on this sort of Antarctica cruise will depend on your expectations and luck. The cruise line (or expedition purveyor) will do what they can to put you in interesting places. The more you pay, the closer you get, the longer you stay will all be a factor in your chances of meeting your "gotta dance with the penguins" expectations.

Our first Celebrity cruise was on Infinity on this itinerary 2 years ago. We paid about $9000-$9500 total, about $7600 for Concierage Class cabin incl grats, classic bev pkg. The remainder for tours in Ushuaia, Port Stanley, and Madryn. Booked in mid December, 6-7 weeks before embarkation.

We were quite fortunate. Good weather (warm, sunny) in Ushuaia, a good "Walk with the Penguins" excursion with Pira Tour.

p590235446-3.jpg

p603008095-4.jpg

A loop around Cape Horn, than a relatively smooth crossing of the Drake Passage. Just off of Antarctica itself we had misty foggy conditions but did see interesting wildlife at a distance. Then onward to the NE, good ice berg and glacier views. A super excursion from Port Stanley to Volunteer Point with Estancia Tours. Including a lunch of sandwiches made by the proprietor's mother.

p805617384-3.jpg

p836254288-3.jpg

Again, good weather. If anything it was too warm, the penguins at Ushuaia and Puerto Madryn (further north on our other excursion) were all showing some heat stress.)

I have read of ports missed due to bad weather. I have heard of excursions canceled due to bad weather. I have heard of excursions that encountered disappointingly few wildlife. You pays your money, takes your chances, and thinks about the possibility that you might need to go back a time or to before you are satisfied.

Stan

I just checked the Ponant website and others going to Antartica and starting is 10 grand a person. I'm spending 12 grand total including everything plus insurance for 14 days. We are also planning on spending a week before the cruise exploring Argentina so it should be a great trip.

Ouch - that is a big difference. I'd love to do an expedition-type voyage though and get much closer vs having to schedule excursions with long 3-4 hour drives to get anywhere close to land. But that would be a lot to drop on one vacation - even though I'm sure it's magnificent.

Really blah about the itins for late 2018 and spring 2019 for the caribbean. Only choice is Equinox out of Miami. Love to go on Equinox as we have not been on her yet, but the itins leave a lot to be desired. We are not fans of Key West and go to Nassau a gazillion times a year on short cruises. So we booked the western on Equinox hoping maybe Edge will come out with something better.

The only thing that was disappointing - we booked the Celebrity cruises on Royal when they were offering the 2 perks, so took bev pkg and $300 OBC. When we moved them to the 2018-2019 itins we LOST the $300. Even though we were told we could move them to whenever and not lose the perk, it is not true. That double perk offer ends end of April 2018 so we lost them when we moved our cruises to Dec 2018 and April 2019.

Hi. We just got off the Eclipse on Dec 21. We booked the Reflection in Dec 2018 and April 2019 and got 2 perks (beverage & gratuities) plus extra obc for booking on board. I'm not sure why you lost the extra perk. You might want to call back.

I called to get a refund for my 2018/19 certificate I purchased on our recent TA. I was looking for an Australia cruise; but there weren't any new ones listed. Oh well, I will be on the Eclipse in a couple weeks and can get a future cruise that won't lose benefits past a certain date. As others have stated, the prices are soooo high. I guess that I will have to start booking cruises closer to sailing date when the prices get to where they should be.

Hi. We just got off the Eclipse on Dec 21. We booked the Reflection in Dec 2018 and April 2019 and got 2 perks (beverage & gratuities) plus extra obc for booking on board. I'm not sure why you lost the extra perk. You might want to call back.

What price did you pay? Was it a he Big price, the Better Price, or something else. I am really curious to how the 2 free perks works with the BBB price.

I received the Best Price because it was the normal pricing for a suite and the only option, so basically I did not receive any value from the two perks.

Thank you.