Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

I believe that this particular shipyard will meet or beat their schedule. They always do. The ship and its systems will be checked and re-checked multiple times and then again during and after sea trials. No need for me to bring my tools! But we do need to bring our patience and understanding on the first several cruises. The staff on board will be unfamiliar and learning new things, and just establishing their teams and approaches. That is where some passengers will no doubt start their complaints elsewhere on these boards. Bet on it!

I agree - I will be on the first two cruises and am concerned about people having unrealistic expectations about preview cruises. We are paying a premium to be on these cruises and expect Celebrity to work hard to deliver an excellent product, but like the opening night of a restaurant or new show, there will be glitches. If we want the perfect or nearly perfect cruise, we should wait a few months or more. If we want the excitement and adventure of being the first to experience something, we need to be ready to be patient with staff, laugh about the glitches and enjoy the adventures and surprises. We can then give constructive feedback to help them see what works and what doesn't (and kudos to the staff who will be learning the ropes). I will happily be a guinea pig for these two cruises in exchange for the adventure of it all. :D

I believe that this particular shipyard will meet or beat their schedule. They always do. The ship and its systems will be checked and re-checked multiple times and then again during and after sea trials. No need for me to bring my tools! But we do need to bring our patience and understanding on the first several cruises. The staff on board will be unfamiliar and learning new things, and just establishing their teams and approaches. That is where some passengers will no doubt start their complaints elsewhere on these boards. Bet on it!

Alas you are correct. I am always surprised at how many people seem to look for issues to complain about. We are on the Dec 16 cruise. I am sure that the ship will be functioning as it should and any problems with be staff related... getting to know the lay of the land, so to speak. My husband and I never met a cruise we didn't like. So I know that we expect things to happen and just hope that what ever it is, is minor. I have traveled enough to know to expect the unexpected. Ironically the trips I remember the best are the ones where there was an issue. Like the time I broke my ankle on a business trip to Amsterdam. Not fun at the time... but made a better story than if nothing had happened and the meeting went off without an issue :)

no doubt there will be complaints. my husband's first cruise was on solstice when she was brand new, i want to say maybe even her second or third cruise? she was not nearly as widely publicized and i found the ship to be (dare i say it) empty compared to cruising now. we never once felt crowded and i look back at all my photos of that trip and in the background i'm like, where are all the people? the ship looked empty whereas in photos on our more recent cruises, not so much. i'm also wondering if maybe because it was so new, everyone was also not in the areas they began to congregate as the hot spots because they were experiencing everything, so maybe that's why it felt so spacious :') but given that solstice was SO new, it was still one of the best cruises we've had and we didn't notice anything out of place. maybe i was a less discerning traveler at the time. my expectations are high, but they're not unreasonable. all i know is that my husband had found a whole new world when he realized he could go back up to the buffet for a second time, so it didn't take much to impress him then :') he's learned a bit from me over the years so that's definitely changed. lol.

but i have learned not to cruise the next cruise after a reposition - we did a cruise in november 2016 in the caribbean right after reflection came back from europe and the customs/clearance/inspections really threw a wrench into embarkation day, and i also felt the crew was "off" the whole trip. and food choices i think were geared more towards the european palette, which was not to my taste. that was the first time i really felt i was a picky eater on a cruise. but embarkation day was chaos. if you were in a suite or had a preferential boarding position, forget that, it went out the window. if you checked in early they sent you back downstairs past security OUTSIDE the terminal, in the heat. they were actually bussing people to the mall! so even though we'd already checked in, we had to wait behind mobs of people who didn't have any type of priority boarding. i felt rushed, bombarded with packages and upsells as we boarded, and no one handed me a damn glass of champagne. lol. that was our last cruise so i took it as a learning experience to wait until after TA's, drydocks, and a few months after a new ship comes into service to work out its kinks.

I believe your observations are correct, the Edge will be delivered on time and all we need to do is enjoy the new ship. We have been on four of the five S-class inaugurals beginning with the Solstice and they were all enjoyable, if they weren’t we wouldn’t have continued to book them. 😉

I agree that patience is necessary, especially when it comes to the dining venues. That is the only area I remember where there were issues on the Solstice. There was a learning curve as the staff were actually feeding entire restaurants for the first time and service was pretty slow. But it never impacted our enjoyment of the cruise.

Too bad the camera work is not very good. My guess would be an ocean view cabin from deck 3 O7 or O8. I have not found photos of these cabins... only the large floor to ceiling ocean view cabins. Thanks for the post... windows are small... but on deck 3... likely to get some punishing waves than an ocean view higher up... this is why I assume it is on deck 3

Too bad the camera work is not very good. My guess would be an ocean view cabin from deck 3 O7 or O8. I have not found photos of these cabins... only the large floor to ceiling ocean view cabins. Thanks for the post... windows are small... but on deck 3... likely to get some punishing waves than an ocean view higher up... this is why I assume it is on deck 3

You found photos of Panoramic Ocean View Cabins, may I ask where. I have seen the artist renderings, would love to see the real thing. We have one of these cabins booked for Dec. 9, 2018.

As kearney said, it may be an oceanview on 3. The windows on this ship picture appear to be shaped like in the picture of the cabin. The cabins are supposedly 200 sq ft and have a king bed. Does that look like a king bed? I can't tell.

enhance

Oceanview on 3

72-4.jpg

someone posted this in my roll call. looks like edge is getting some stateroom finishes. anyone know which stateroom category this might be? looks a little tight!

Very tight... one window pane, no balcony.Maybe crew quarters??? Early cabins on Royal C were 179 sq ft..really cramped!

The touch screen was interesting...will need to bring sanitizing wipes!

Very tight... one window pane, no balcony.Maybe crew quarters??? Early cabins on Royal C were 179 sq ft..really cramped!

I wondered about crew as well. It looks small.

You found photos of Panoramic Ocean View Cabins, may I ask where. I have seen the artist renderings, would love to see the real thing. We have one of these cabins booked for Dec. 9, 2018.

We have one of those booked also but the window is about three times bigger, one of the things that attracted me when I couldn't get anything with a veranda. Size of window may depend on which deck.

I am wondering about something. The cabins appear to be run by smart phone apps. Everything from getting into your cabin to adjusting lights appear to be managed on your phone. So, if you don't sign up for wifi... does that mean you can't use the app? Suppose you are old school and don't use a smart phone... is there a back up old school system like sea-pass to get into the cabin? Now I appreciate technology as much as the next person, but I have no problem getting up and going over to the thermostat or light switch. I don't exercise much as it is... getting off my behind periodically is part of my daily routine.

I am wondering about something. The cabins appear to be run by smart phone apps. Everything from getting into your cabin to adjusting lights appear to be managed on your phone. So, if you don't sign up for wifi... does that mean you can't use the app? Suppose you are old school and don't use a smart phone... is there a back up old school system like sea-pass to get into the cabin? Now I appreciate technology as much as the next person, but I have no problem getting up and going over to the thermostat or light switch. I don't exercise much as it is... getting off my behind periodically is part of my daily routine.

Good question and agree with you. In a video posted by a travel agent t appears to have an alternative, pressing a box after you are inside the cabin.

I am wondering if you are correct. I have never seen a crew cabin and have no idea if they decorate it in a similar manner to passenger cabins... but it did seem small to me. But in looking at photos of the hull... the shape of the window looks like what you see in this level cabin. But it appears smaller than 200 sqft. Does anyone know what crew cabins usually look like... do people get their own cabin? I have no clue

We won't be doing anything through our smart phones..They always stay OFF in our safe..used only in ports which are in our plan; or once we disembark. My tablet will be used for reading and checking a few family e mails. I still use a camera for my photos.

They most likely will have alternate arrangements for folks like us !

celebrity has stated they will still be supplying sea passes, but as technology progresses, it only makes sense for the ships to move in that fashion as well. they're very much aware that a large portion of their guests won't participate in these advances so they will be sure to offer the "old school" options for them as well.

Very doubtful this is a crew quarter, unless for an officer. I suspect it's a standard oceanview stateroom.

Here is a you tube of a crew stateroom on Summit:

Joe

I went back and looked at the windows in the hull vs the deck plan for deck 3 and I do believe it is an ocean view cabin. I just seemed small. Perhaps it is the window, which seems narrower than the drawings. Anyway, thank you for the video on the crew cabin. I had no idea.

celebrity has stated they will still be supplying sea passes, but as technology progresses, it only makes sense for the ships to move in that fashion as well. they're very much aware that a large portion of their guests won't participate in these advances so they will be sure to offer the "old school" options for them as well.

Let's just hope they don't add Alexa anytime soon. All I need is the stress of wondering if the thing is listening. :D

When comparing a thin key card to carrying around a smart phone to open one's door leads me to conclude that travelling light is best....The card can go on a neck lanyard ( no handbag or carry case needed); and if lost it is easily replaced.

One nice benefit of cruising is we get to unplug and enjoy!

But those who like the tech stuff will have that option as well.

When comparing a thin key card to carrying around a smart phone to open one's door leads me to conclude that travelling light is best....The card can go on a neck lanyard ( no handbag or carry case needed); and if lost it is easily replaced.

One nice benefit of cruising is we get to unplug and enjoy!

But those who like the tech stuff will have that option as well.

The whole reason we started cruising was to really get away. In the olden days I could honestly tell my office they could not reach me for a week. I only get on internet once or twice to check email

Edited by kearney
Typo