First night specialty dining

Softball20

We just booked a quick four day girls' getaway for next month on the Silhouette. I got an email about the dining packages. We're not interested in a package since we are only on board for four nights, but we will likely do one night in the Tuscan Grille. I noticed that they are offering a 20% discount for the first night. Do they also have these offers on board now, or must it be booked in advance?

I know on our last cruise there was 20% coupon that was included in our embarkation "package" of information and offers that were placed on our bed when we 1st got to our room. But I don't remember if that was b/c we are Elite and/or were in Concierge Class.

We just booked a quick four day girls' getaway for next month on the Silhouette. I got an email about the dining packages. We're not interested in a package since we are only on board for four nights, but we will likely do one night in the Tuscan Grille. I noticed that they are offering a 20% discount for the first night. Do they also have these offers on board now, or must it be booked in advance?

We were offered 50% off on our Oct TA on board first night. Someone may offer it, or just ask. You should see specialty restaurant staff as you board.

If you wait until embarkation you will usually be offered 50% discount by the staff at tables just as you enter the ship and right after the complimentary glass of sparkling wine. That is a heck of a deal and we usually snag a specialty restaurant that first night. We love Tuscan Grill, but all the restaurants are excellent.

Edited by El Crucero

Thanks for all the replies. We love the Tuscan Grille, too, and while I'm not necessarily set on going on the first night, it's definitely an option if they are discounting. We also typically don't book our specialty dining in advance; good to know that the discounts may be better on board.

Given your cruise is only a 4 day itinerary, the demand for specialty restaurants may be greater than normal.

Like others, I am used to getting 30% or more off just by asking and being flexible in the date/time. Getting discounts on the first night is also generally easier.

That said, I was on a 5 day cruise on the Connie in March and was not able to get a discount, I even had difficulty getting a reservation until someone cancelled. I do not know about the first night as I wasn't interested, but in talking to the Maitre'D he said that since the Connie only has two specialty restaurants and the cruise was so short they were usually fully booked and didn't need to offer discounts.

Sorry if this doesn't help you with your decision....

Given your cruise is only a 4 day itinerary, the demand for specialty restaurants may be greater than normal.

Like others, I am used to getting 30% or more off just by asking and being flexible in the date/time. Getting discounts on the first night is also generally easier.

That said, I was on a 5 day cruise on the Connie in March and was not able to get a discount, I even had difficulty getting a reservation until someone cancelled. I do not know about the first night as I wasn't interested, but in talking to the Maitre'D he said that since the Connie only has two specialty restaurants and the cruise was so short they were usually fully booked and didn't need to offer discounts.

Good points. I was curious what would be the protocol given it's such a short sailing. We'll figure it out for this one, but it's also good info to have for our longer Reflection sailing in May.

Exactly what I was going to say!! If you really want to make sure you can get in, I would make the reservation with the 20% discount and ask for any additional discounts once you board ... only because this is a shorter cruise and you may find that your options will not be available. If they are offering everyone else a better discount (I doubt you will see a 50% discount being offered on a shorter cruise ... it could happen, though), you can always ask for a refund for the difference in onboard credit.

Frequently you get them onboard. After the first day I've gotten 30% discounts as well.

May I suggest, if you have fixed seating, traditional dining at a group table, that you kindly drop by the main dining room for a moment the first night if you are eating in a specialty restaurant. Your table mates may wonder where you are and may hold off ordering until you arrive. They will very much appreciate the courtesy so that they don't worry that they are all alone at a group table.

That has happened to us and sometimes for the whole cruise people ate at specialty restaurants. It left us being the only ones at tables of six or eight. Ever since that, I have made it a point to stop by and let my table mates and waiter know that we will be dining elsewhere that night. It is also good manners to let your waiter and table mates know anytime you are not going to be in the MDR the following evening. Thanks.

Edited by emileg