Gluten free on Harmony of the Seas

I just got off the Harmony of the Seas yesterday and just wanted to warn folks who have Celiac's to be very careful. I received gluten meals in Chops and Coastal kitchen on day's 2 and 7 respectively. Even though I questioned the waiters they denied giving me gluten.

On day 2 at Chops, I questioned the waiter about the goat cheese salad, mushrooms and veal chop and he denied they had gluten in them. I found out the next day that he never told the chef I had celiac's. I spent that evening and next day in severe pain vomiting with diarrhea, and covered in a rash. I couldn't get off the ship in St Thomas and spent the day in my room. Since one of the officers was dining with us that evening it was reported and The Chops manager apologized and stressed that he had a serious meeting with the staff and he wanted me to know that he was sorry.

The following days on the cruise each of the resteraunts were very careful and took special attention to me to ensure I was not contaminated. On night 7 we ate in Coastal kitchen. The waiter gave me what he said was gluten free bread and hummus. I questioned him because it did not look like the bread I received the other nights. He clearly stated it was gluten free and made specially from the chef. Within five minutes of eating it, I started to get a severe reaction. Body started to get very hot, severe pain in the center of my stomach, face, neck and arms turned bright red and rash all over my arms, legs and stomach. Thankfully, one of our friends who was dining with us ran down to his room and brought up Benadryl, cortisone and cortisone cream. It was one of the worst allergic reactions I've ever had on a cruise ship. I am now starting to panic that my reactions will only get worst and am scared to cruise again.

I love RC but am getting very frustrated with the very limited dining choices and then to turn around and get contaminated. I am beginning to think that I will have to bring my own meals to ensure I'm safe. Am I the only person who feels this way? What can be done on my end to ensure that what I'm eaten is safe besides informing RC on my profile, clearly stating my allergy to the waiter and head waiter? I'm beyond frustrated. Going to my doctor on Monday to get epi pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off the Harmony of the Seas yesterday and just wanted to warn folks who have Celiac's to be very careful. I received gluten meals in Chops and Coastal kitchen on day's 2 and 7 respectively. Even though I questioned the waiters they denied giving gluten

Dear OP, I am so sorry you experienced this. This message isn't for you. I fear you have fallen victim to waiters who have stopped believing in genuine allergies because of people who "claim" an allergy when it is just a dietary choice. The type who say they need gluten free bread and then order t crumbed chicken...you are very clearly not that careless person.

To passengers who don't have a genuine allergy: PLEASE STOP TELLING WAITERS YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE NOT MEDICALLY ALLERGIC TO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you may have to resign yourself to eating Traditional dining with the same wait staff who will provide you with the next night's menu up front so you can pre order something to be made GF.

or insist that you speak directly to every chef on board in whatever venue that you do choose to eat at.

I am so sorry that you had this experience. I am well familiar with the challenges of celiac disease and hope these suggestions help in future. I always slip my head waiter in the main dining room a generous tip on the first day, saying that I know I am extra work and I appreciate that he/she will be working hard to keep me safe. Then I do the order a day ahead routine. Before dining in a specialty restaurant, I will always go one day in advance to speak with the manager. I then do the celiac song and dance (you know it well, I am sure) and have not had a problem to date. I also speak directly with the chefs on the occasions where I have dined in the Windjammer or Solarium buffets and have food specifically prepared for me. As you mentioned, I always stress that mine is not a casual gluten free dining choice, but a very serious food allergy. We both know that celiac disease is not an allergy, but I always use that term because it is clearly understood in the food industry. The last time I was accidentally glutened on board was five cruises ago but I have been fine ever since, so I consider that to be a good track record. My most recent experiences have actually exceeded my expectations: on our latest cruise, the Windjammer head chef even arranged to have a gluten free burger specially prepared for me at the Colombus Cove dining station in Labadee. Last year on Allure, I sent back the bread in the main dining room at lunch because it was too good to be true, only to discover that the chef who baked the gluten free bread was simply amazing! I would hate to think that you would give up on Royal Caribbean after your last experience, as I know there are so few vacation options out there that offer generally safe celiac dining. My last words of advice are "Always be assertive in expressing your needs and always be generous with your tips!" This strategy has worked very well for me.

Thanks everyone for your input. We stopped dining in the dining room a few years ago due to be glutened to often. Had great experiences all the way up to the Harmony. I think what I'll do is to request a meeting on the first day with the specialty restaurant manager right away to ensure my meals are safe and not contaminated. I've also filled out the on line survey and requested a call back with the main office. I'll keep you all posted.

What did you do before celiac disease? Celiac is fairly new and I'm sure you didn't have that reaction every time you ate gluten

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board. Wow.

Within five minutes of eating it, I started to get a severe reaction. Body started to get very hot, severe pain in the center of my stomach, face, neck and arms turned bright red and rash all over my arms, legs and stomach. Thankfully, one of our friends who was dining with us ran down to his room and brought up Benadryl, cortisone and cortisone cream. It was one of the worst allergic reactions I've ever had on a cruise ship. I am now starting to panic that my reactions will only get worst and am scared to cruise again.

May I ask what was the reaction of the CK staff?

My sister has celiacs and she has had good experiences with Princess and has been wary of cruising on other lines simply because she is scared of rolling the dice on it.

This is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board. Wow.

May I ask what was the reaction of the CK staff?

My sister has celiacs and she has had good experiences with Princess and has been wary of cruising on other lines simply because she is scared of rolling the dice on it.

Wow James boat, do tell why its so dumb. The reactions s/he described would have been present BEFORE being diagnosed with celiac disease. I have a friend with celiac disease who is very careful about what she eats without telling people she has celiac. She paid close attention prior to her diagnosis and ate accordingly. The point of my post was accommodations were made prior to the diagnosis to avoid the symptoms the OP shared and perhaps those could be done while cruising. So please tell me why my post was the dumbest you have ever read on this board?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I just got off the Harmony of the Seas yesterday and just wanted to warn folks who have Celiac's to be very careful. I received gluten meals in Chops and Coastal kitchen on day's 2 and 7 respectively. Even though I questioned the waiters they denied giving me gluten.

On day 2 at Chops, I questioned the waiter about the goat cheese salad, mushrooms and veal chop and he denied they had gluten in them. I found out the next day that he never told the chef I had celiac's. I spent that evening and next day in severe pain vomiting with diarrhea, and covered in a rash. I couldn't get off the ship in St Thomas and spent the day in my room. Since one of the officers was dining with us that evening it was reported and The Chops manager apologized and stressed that he had a serious meeting with the staff and he wanted me to know that he was sorry.

The following days on the cruise each of the resteraunts were very careful and took special attention to me to ensure I was not contaminated. On night 7 we ate in Coastal kitchen. The waiter gave me what he said was gluten free bread and hummus. I questioned him because it did not look like the bread I received the other nights. He clearly stated it was gluten free and made specially from the chef. Within five minutes of eating it, I started to get a severe reaction. Body started to get very hot, severe pain in the center of my stomach, face, neck and arms turned bright red and rash all over my arms, legs and stomach. Thankfully, one of our friends who was dining with us ran down to his room and brought up Benadryl, cortisone and cortisone cream. It was one of the worst allergic reactions I've ever had on a cruise ship. I am now starting to panic that my reactions will only get worst and am scared to cruise again.

I love RC but am getting very frustrated with the very limited dining choices and then to turn around and get contaminated. I am beginning to think that I will have to bring my own meals to ensure I'm safe. Am I the only person who feels this way? What can be done on my end to ensure that what I'm eaten is safe besides informing RC on my profile, clearly stating my allergy to the waiter and head waiter? I'm beyond frustrated. Going to my doctor on Monday to get epi pens.

I'm truly surprised you keep coming back to Royal. Have you had luck with other lines? What exactly keeps bringing you back to Royal?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Wow James boat, do tell why its so dumb. The reactions s/he described would have been present BEFORE being diagnosed with celiac disease. I have a friend with celiac disease who is very careful about what she eats without telling people she has celiac. She paid close attention prior to her diagnosis and ate accordingly. The point of my post was accommodations were made prior to the diagnosis to avoid the symptoms the OP shared and perhaps those could be done while cruising. So please tell me why my post was the dumbest you have ever read on this board?

You appear to be stating that celiacs is new.

The diagnosis, not the symptoms, is fairly new as is the gluten free menu items at restaurants.

And that would make you say that's the dumbest thing you have ever heard on this site???

Celiacs began to be diagnosed over 100 years go. Obviously, as science has progressed, theyve gotten a better understanding of what it is.

While some people develop symptoms as a child, others dont until an adult. Also, symptons can vary and become better or worse over time.

Just because YOU hadnt heard of it, doesnt mean it's "new".

The fact it, it appears from your post that you are trying to blame the OP for a horrible mistake done by RC

The point of my post was accommodations were made prior to the diagnosis to avoid the symptoms the OP shared and perhaps those could be done while cruising.

When my sister is traveling in an area where she cannot trust the cooks due to a language or understanding barrier, she restricts herself to very basic foods like fruit, eggs, rice, and corn.

That means avoiding things like sauces which contain a mixture of many ingredients.

OP is paying a lot of money to eat more than fruit and eggs, and RC has promised to take allergies seriously.

The alternative, at least for my sister is to prepare her own food and not eat out. Since there is no kitchen open to the public on RC, if the cruise line can not accommodate the diet, the alternative is to not cruise with the line at all.

What did you do before celiac disease? Celiac is fairly new and I'm sure you didn't have that reaction every time you ate gluten prior to the prevalence and gluten free menu options. Is that a possibility when you cruise, whatever it was that you did?

Celiacs began to be diagnosed over 100 years go. Obviously, as science has progressed, theyve gotten a better understanding of what it is.

While some people develop symptoms as a child, others dont until an adult. Also, symptons can vary and become better or worse over time.

Just because YOU hadnt heard of it, doesnt mean it's "new".

The fact it, it appears from your post that you are trying to blame the OP for a horrible mistake done by RC

When my sister is traveling in an area where she cannot trust the cooks due to a language or understanding barrier, she restricts herself to very basic foods like fruit, eggs, rice, and corn.

That means avoiding things like sauces which contain a mixture of many ingredients.

OP is paying a lot of money to eat more than fruit and eggs, and RC has promised to take allergies seriously.

The alternative, at least for my sister is to prepare her own food and not eat out. Since there is no kitchen open to the public on RC, if the cruise line can not accommodate the diet, the alternative is to not cruise with the line at all.

James you are slightly off... it was about 250 AD according to Celiac Support Assoc.

History of Gluten Induced Conditions

What is the origin of Gluten-Related Disorders?

Celiac disease (CD) was first described in the second century, but the cause wasn't identified until the 20th century. Terminology has changed as research confirmed that celiac disease diagnosed in children was the same disease as non-tropical sprue diagnosed in adults. The term "celiac disease" is now most commonly used. Another term for the same condition includes "gluten sensitive enteropathy." Dermatitis herpetiformis also known as Duhring's disease and gluten ataxia are generally considered specific manifestations of celiac disease. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity symptoms and treatment are just like celiac disease without HLA similarity. Only recently gluten sensitivity has been separated from the celiac disease umbrella.

CD was born over 2000 years ago.

My Brother-in-Law has CD. When we sailed on Indy together, we either got the menu from the MDR the night before or (I think it was Chops) we stopped in before they closed for the night for the next night and asked to speak to the chef...

We have always had someone with us with some dietary need or another and have always had great luck.

To the OP, I am so sorry you had this happen to you! I don't have CD but I am very aware of the consequences. I hope you don't give up on RCI over this.... Unfortunately, you may have to do some extra leg work to speak to the head chef, head waiter, maître d' all involved!! and if you are doing MTD or specialty every night... speak to them the night before if possible.

Unfortunately, I can't read the lime text on my smart phone. Don't even try anymore. I wish people wouldn't use it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Sorry I thought it was more of a hunter green

History of Gluten Induced Conditions (It was linked...)

What is the origin of Gluten-Related Disorders?

Celiac disease (CD) was first described in the second century, but the cause wasn't identified until the 20th century. Terminology has changed as research confirmed that celiac disease diagnosed in children was the same disease as non-tropical sprue diagnosed in adults. The term "celiac disease" is now most commonly used. Another term for the same condition includes "gluten sensitive enteropathy." Dermatitis herpetiformis also known as Duhring's disease and gluten ataxia are generally considered specific manifestations of celiac disease. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity symptoms and treatment are just like celiac disease without HLA similarity. Only recently gluten sensitivity has been separated from the celiac disease umbrella.

CD was born over 2000 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently on the Harmony and I also have celiac disease. The main dining room has been very careful but when I dined in both Izumi and Wonderland I became violently ill. In both cases I discussed my dietary issues when I made the reservation and when I sat down to dine. I was suspicious regarding the soy sauce in Izumi because it was not brought to me in the labeled bottle but in a bowl. I asked and they assured me it was gluten free but it is the only thing I can think of that could have caused the issue. Tonight in Wonderland I think it may have been the sauce, even though I was assured it was gluten free. The ships staff has tried to be very accommodating but in all honesty I may bring more of my own food items next time. I brought my own snacks and breakfast bars this time around. I know in talking to some of the waiters they just don't understand how violently sick you can become from consuming gluten and I think some do think it's a dietary choice. Not blaming RCCL but do think other cruisers with celiac should be wary as original poster stated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I am currently on the Harmony and I also have celiac disease. The main dining room has been very careful but when I dined in both Izumi and Wonderland I became violently ill. In both cases I discussed my dietary issues when I made the reservation and when I sat down to dine. I was suspicious regarding the soy sauce in Izumi because it was not brought to me in the labeled bottle but in a bowl. I asked and they assured me it was gluten free but it is the only thing I can think of that could have caused the issue. Tonight in Wonderland I think it may have been the sauce, even though I was assured it was gluten free. The ships staff has tried to be very accommodating but in all honesty I may bring more of my own food items next time. I brought my own snacks and breakfast bars this time around. I know in talking to some of the waiters they just don't understand how violently sick you can become from consuming gluten and I think some do think it's a dietary choice. Not blaming RCCL but do think other cruisers with celiac should be wary as original poster stated.

What else did you eat in Izumi? If you had the salad with ginger dressing there is generally soy sauce in it. If they didn't make you special dressing, it could have been that. Very unfortunate.

I feel bad for the OP and the others who had to suffer from these issues. I do not have Celiac disease, but have a few friends who suffer from it.

I am only posting this so everyone here understands.

Celiac is an autoimmune disorder it is like an allergy, it is a very serious condition for those who suffer from it.

Now there are quite a few people who have a gluten intolerance or gluten sensitivity. This is different. these people may have a stomach ache or get a little nausea if they eat gluten but it is not as serious as Celiac. Because of these people, and its not their fault either, wait staffs have not taken "Celiac" as serious. They see every day when people who request Gluten free menus reach over and eat their spouses roll that isn't gluten free and etc. etc. etc. So eventually they start to feel that when someone says the have to have a gluten free meal its not that big of a deal.

Unfortunately, if you truly have Celiac Disease, it is a huge deal. Many do not realize that even cross contamination is a big deal. If you slice gluten bread with a knife and then slice gluten free bread with the same knife, this may be enough to make a person with Celiac Disease violently ill when they eat the Gluten Free bread.

I hope you can find a solution that you can live with so you can keep cruising. Education is the key but is seems not enough is being done with both the wait staff and the chefs.

• 4 months later...
What else did you eat in Izumi? If you had the salad with ginger dressing there is generally soy sauce in it. If they didn't make you special dressing, it could have been that. Very unfortunate.

They told me the ginger dressing had soy in it so they brought me a bowl of plain soy sauce they told me was gluten free. That's why I'm still suspicious of the soy sauce because everything else was prepared so carefully and separate from everyone else's food.

• 2 weeks later...

I have learned over the years to bring my own packets of gluten free soy sauce and gluten free salad dressings with me when I travel.

I was glutened in the MDR on the Navigator on our last RCCL cruise in 2014. I am finally going to risk it and go RCCL again in 2018. I was down and out for 4 days because of it and missed all the ports.

I get hit with a triple whammy when I am glutened. My Gluten Ataxia flares up and I tilt when I walk. DH has to hold me up. I get the horrible Dermatitis Herpeteformis rash and I spend days in the bathroom with vomiting and diarrhea.

I haven't had any issues at all sailing on Carnival or Princess. I am going to give RCCL one more shot. If our January 2018 cruise is a failure because I get glutened, then we will still have time to cancel our May 2018 cruise and book something else.

I have also had really great experiences dining GF at the El Dorado Resorts in Mexico. The head chef met us at check in and we had a chef assigned to us for the duration of our stay. They would pretty much make me anything on or off menu that I could think of, and there were no issues in the Asian Restaurant.

Edited by DebJ14

I have learned over the years to bring my own packets of gluten free soy sauce and gluten free salad dressings with me when I travel.

I was glutened in the MDR on the Navigator on our last RCCL cruise in 2014. I am finally going to risk it and go RCCL again in 2018. I was down and out for 4 days because of it and missed all the ports.

I get hit with a triple whammy when I am glutened. My Gluten Ataxia flares up and I tilt when I walk. DH has to hold me up. I get the horrible Dermatitis Herpeteformis rash and I spend days in the bathroom with vomiting and diarrhea.

I haven't had any issues at all sailing on Carnival or Princess. I am going to give RCCL one more shot. If our January 2018 cruise is a failure because I get glutened, then we will still have time to cancel our May 2018 cruise and book something else.

I have also had really great experiences dining GF at the El Dorado Resorts in Mexico. The head chef met us at check in and we had a chef assigned to us for the duration of our stay. They would pretty much make me anything on or off menu that I could think of, and there were no issues in the Asian Restaurant.

Your info is really helpful. Next time I will bring my own soy sauce. I missed a port too and that sucks. I was stuck in the bathroom and up all night with horrific stomach pain. Luckily I don't get the derm problems but weirdly my scalp itches like crazy.

I hope they seriously start charging people that need all kinds of extra food treatments!

THAT would be a good move to offset the revenue they loose buy pampering those needs...

Someone's a little grumpy, to feel better you can

Eat a snickers or

Loosen belt, reach into back of pants, pull wedgie from crack.

That comment is just mean, "germanfflyer!" People with celiac disease do not wish to avoid gluten, but they must! Should people who must use handicapped restrooms or parking spaces should be charged for the extra space?

People who have handicaps do not wish for them and they do NOT have a choice about having them. People like you need to have compassion!

People who think celiac disease and gluten intolerance are just some new fad are ignorant! My poor mother suffered her entire life with horrible GI symptoms - never knowing that she had this disease because doctors (including my husband) were not trained to recognize this disease until the very end stages of damage to one's body. However, they were able to find that she had developed colon cancer after decades of suffering! Thankfully, new research has revealed the earlier stages of celiac disease. My horrible symptoms did not appear until I became middle-aged. I am so thankful to know what was causing me to be so sick. If I had not found out the cause, I would be afraid to leave the house. Now, I lead a busy happy active life thanks to my gluten free diet!

I am presently on the "Harmony of the Seas" right now and people have been so nice to me about my gluten free diet. I got sick (it is like have a colonoscopy prep) after breakfast one morning earlier this week in the Coastal Kitchen, but I didn't tell anyone because I truly felt they were trying their best. Cross contamination happens at times, but I am so grateful to get great gluten-free food on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. They really seem to care. I am so thankful for that. That is why I cruise. I don't have to be in foreign countries trying to explain my diet requirements. On my cruises, I explain this the first night (plus I call ahead and also write an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com) This is my 25th cruise with these two lines and I rarely get glutened. The food in the Coastal Kitchen on Harmony has been fantastic!