Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Very quiet day here in Wales....Bank Holiday so great to be at home ......Virus is at last starting to subside but has left me with a barking cough during the night which is depriving me of sleep....don't think furry babe is too happy either...😉

Only ever went to one old school reunion and it was a nightmare of oneupmanship et al so l left early smug in the knowledge that nothing had changed over the years and the all girl boarding school antics remained with some into adulthood but slightly worse!

Happy Sunday.......😊

Shots,

I'm so pleased .... you are so welcome ... I remember you making it. I have four balls in the fridge which are four weeks old at the moment.

That leoparding looks good.

Do you like the idea of keeping a few balls in the fridge for a spontaneous one?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good Morning all,

Camels .... in case you didn't know ..... this is on at the RA during your visit. I thought it might be somethging you both might be interested in.

https://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibition/america-after-the-fall?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=America%20after%20the%20Fall%20image%20link&utm_campaign=MAR%20-%20RA%20News_May%202017&emailcode=

It may be that an opportunity of seeing some American iconic art at one time is easier in London. It's a shame than "Nighthawks" by Hopper isn't there ..... "Gas" is but you can't have everything.

Thanks Shots.

Bakers, is the only difference between a muffin and a small sponge cake the amount of baking powder?

Thanks.

I think there are several differences. Muffins usually have less sugar and fat than sponge recipes. Often, muffins are made by combining all dry ingredients and all wet, and then mixing together. Sponge recipes usually call for fat and sugar to be creamed together first, then add wet and dry ingredients. Muffins are more likely to have fruit and nuts added to the batter. Sponge and other cake batters may have more eggs also.

Thanks Brums,

I have tried several approaches and recipes and both muffin and sponges seem to involve roughly the same approach ie creaming butter with sugar and liquids, and sifting flour and baking powder separately and cocoa if used then mixing roughly ie not whisking and going into the oven as soon as mixed as the baking powder starts to work as soon as it hit liquid. The only differences I've seen so far has been the fruit and density. And perhaps more egg with sponges and more milk with muffins.

I think you highlighting the fruit difference is probably the key difference because adding fruit calls for a denser mix of the muffin as they will undoubtedly be more inclined to sink in a lighter sponge mix whether one coats with flour or not.

My plain muffins use to be better than they are now.

Hello Coolers, tornado watch day in our area! Jeff, I really appreciate your link to the RA exposition. I'm sure we will enjoy everything the RA has to offer. Today is one week from our flight date to Barcelona. The Whisper sails on the 10th and we will arrive on the 9th. We'll be staying at the Grand Marina for the convenience... in spite of its cost. I'm excited about our first time on the Whisper; we have a friend who favors it among the others. And just because Murphy's law is always lurking, our treadmill just broke and our refrigerator is saying bye-bye. And all this a week from! Ah well. Just hoping the fridge stays puttering and cooling, since it will stay closed for almost a month. Thank goodness our daughter lives nearby and will hold our meats and other stuff. I'd rather spend on cruises!!!!

Jeff, now you've done it. All this talk of muffins, and DH DEMANDED I make some. So, I pulled out my Baking hat and made blueberry muffins. They have a spiced topping which makes them extra tasty.

5546624d40f173dbbe166078bdd7a2c5.jpg

Love the availability of large Michigan blueberries.

d9f2c50ef70a30ab26d0534508550a5d.jpg

c8de8d122be2269b9db45f54cdcb0599.jpg

aa418518319da3629fd5e3da56cd592f.jpg187912319f39f87d932116e831a80e23.jpg

94bdb3d7ea4a494276a7534e4edc6b52.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Shots.

Bakers, is the only difference between a muffin and a small sponge cake the amount of baking powder?

Thanks.

According to OH muffins (which are, I'm told, a type of bread) contain less egg and about half as much fat and sugar. The mixing is also different and they are baked differently but I lost the will to live as she explained the minutiae. I suspect Google may offer a more comprehensive explanation.

Greetings Coolers! It is sunny here this morning but it is forecast not to last long. We had torrential rains this weekend and yesterday. More rain is expected this afternoon. Flooding and evacuations happening along the rivers. I am tempted to start building the ark!

My contribution to the baking discussion is this little ditty I wrote regarding my attempt to make shortbread for the family for Christmas one year.

Shortbread, Bah Humbug!

My place is not the kitchen

I shouldn’t cross that floor

Cooking is not my forte

Baking is such a chore.

But Christmas soon is coming

I need to make some treats

My family craves the sugar

Expectations I must meet.

I gather up the fixings

Flour and butter too

Shortbread I’ll soon deliver

My family’s hearts to woo.

I follow all instructions

Mix everything with care

As flour coats the kitchen

And dough flies everywhere.

As it settles to a lump

I knead the messy mass

Hoping it will soon become

A masterpiece at last.

Into the heated oven

I slip the pan of dough

Set the timer to go off

Get ready for the show.

About an hour later

I sniff the air with dread

Something sure has gone amiss

It smells like something dead.

My shortbread is a failure

I’ve messed up, what a fuss!

I’m not sure how it happened

It’s store-bought now for us.

Have a great day all!

G'Day All......

Shots, those muffins look so delicious...wish l had the patience to bake but never have had...yet my late mother was an absolute whizz and could rustle up something in minutes.

The dreaded lurgi seems to be intent on hanging on to me as I've now lost my voice completely.....I'm keeping it well lubricated right now 😉

Weather is being very kind to us right now, it's quite warm today and perfect for some gardening if l had the energy!

😊

Good Afternoon all ......

Soapy that's a bind .... I'll send you some e-Broth of God. Hope it clears soon, if it doesn't head off to the docs so it doesn't become anything worst.

M

Mysty is in the kitchen

And the family are a bitching ...

"What on earth will she bake ...... "

"How much more can we take ......"

"Fear not the shortbread she is a ditching ....."

c527e54c9e9db134c9d6015a3ac50c89.jpg

9bfc2949445f847378e47638c3bc7a61.jpg

Miss S. - I really hope you get well soon. It is such a drain on the spirit when you don't feel well and have no energy! Make sure to have lots of J's e-Broth of God!

J... you have perfectly captured the sentiments of my poor family relative to my culinary attempts! And very creatively captured at that! You made me smile and thanks for that!

Lovely poem and a great morning laugh Mysty!

Jeff, those fries look amazing!

Back at the office this morning. Quiet day. Office remodel is almost complete. I only have 3 sessions scheduled today. Getting organized and hanging pictures the rest of the time.

Sophia,

The muffins are a labor of love, as I prefer to cook, not bake. When the hubby asks, I usually deliver. I've perfected the recipe over time and now they are quick to make. The hard part is waiting for them to cool. We usually enjoy when the blueberries are still like little balls of lava. Many a burnt tongue, but worth it.

Hi,Shots,

would you mind posting your muffin recipe please .... if possible in gms/ml?

The fries ....we're back to tradition ie no more airfryer.

I boil Maris Pipers for exactly ten minutes qnd then let the steam evaporate off and then deep fry at 130 for some time and then fry at 180. I blend some extra virgin oil with sunflower 50/50 which gives me a safe smoke point and bags of Mediterranean flavour. I like course maldon salt.

Jeff,

No clue on grams/ml conversion.

Here is a rough recipe. I change it a bit each time.

1/4 c. Vegetable oil

1 egg

1 c. Granulated sugar

1 T vanilla extract

1 T lemon extract

1/4 c buttermilk

Combine all above then add

1 c plus 2 T AP flour

2 T baking powder

1 tsp salt

Mix sparingly and add 1-2 cups blueberries (I use frozen).

Topping is: 1 stick butter melted,

1 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves (ground), and 3/4 cups of AP flour. Mix until a paste forms, add more flour or butter as necessary. Top muffins in the pan with the spice mixture.

Bake at 400F for 25-35 minutes until a wooden skewer comes out clean.

Let cool and enjoy. If you take them out of the pan too soon the blueberries will be melty and the muffins will not retain their shape.