Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Good evening Coolers, and thanks Shots.

I made some small chocolate sponges tonight, and I conclude that I prefer small sponges to muffins. I also made some fresh blueberry muffins today. I'm glad I tried!

This was just plain with no topping and it was quick and great.

1f5b514b1ee866315b4d40578b1ccc04.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are more than welcome Jeff. Hope you can convert things well.

Dinner tonight was last minute. Green beans with bacon, broccoli and cheese rice, and sautéed chicken with my secret spice blend.

53a18b1c63621ddc302fafb247ee6097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings Coolers! Rain, rain go away!

J......mmmm mmmmm mussels! We had ours on Monday evening. Delicious and cheap!

Myster and I have started the process for our potential plan to downsize. Our basement is currently a hideous storage area for stuff that the hoarder in me have accumulated over the 37 years that we have lived here. Garbage pickup is tomorrow so I wanted to get a start on the culling.

Have a great day all!

Greetings Coolers! Rain, rain go away!

J......mmmm mmmmm mussels! We had ours on Monday evening. Delicious and cheap!

Myster and I have started the process for our potential plan to downsize. Our basement is currently a hideous storage area for stuff that the hoarder in me have accumulated over the 37 years that we have lived here. Garbage pickup is tomorrow so I wanted to get a start on the culling.

Have a great day all!

Hi M,

Yes ... opportunism mussels. I let wifey go shopping today for her to choose her own lunch. I know this sounds like it makes no real following to any cuisine but I have made a Thai Green Curry sauce with white wine and garlic and onions and coconut cream and butter and milk, more chillis and flat-leaf parsley and veg buoillon and it really is scrummy. And there are some petit pains for dipping. I am afraid I started merely tasting and found hat I had drunk nearly a bottle of Rioja whilst I was preparing all this and I do feel congenial and I am finding myself decent and happy company whilst she was out and whilst I was busy in the kitchen humming a happy curry sauce. All that now needs to happen is to introduce the mussels to their new saucy partner.

I am so pleased that Myster and you are starting to trigger the next stage in your lives and the great thing about a plan with some sort of modeling roadmap is that you can change direction and reevaluate as you go along. When The Corporation placed me in charge of a group of extremely talented people I use to say to them much against the tide and horror of some that it is better to start off in a direction than be stationary because at least as you move along you can see you are going either in the right direction or wrong direction (and change) and anything is better than imobility. We use to celebrate success and the valuable lessons of failure but not tolerate imobility and the lack of cojones. You are on your way.

Regards to Myster and I am wating for his next loaf or pizza.

Hello Coolers!

I've enjoyed all your food photos, and even read the muffin recipe... I don't bake.. But I fully appreciate those that do.

Today the new treadmill is arriving, yay! Walking outside in the grey, rainy weather we are having is no fun.

Mysty, two years ago we went through the downsizing process. In a way, I found it liberating. Looking forward to your thoughts, once you really get to it.

We leave next Monday for Barcelona, can't wait!

Great day, everybody!

Yummy J! Myster made Thai Red Curry Mussels and we had garlic bread as the sopper-upper. :)

I plan to start the spreadsheet extravaganza as soon as our finance dude provides the project account details from his end (including the worst case market crash estimates), I have been making notes of things to include and how to include them in the various spreadsheets. I should have the finance dude's data by the end of the week.

Cam....I felt a lot better yesterday after starting the purge. Mind you, I started with the relatively easy stuff that did not require a lot of deliberation. I actually had multiple big boxes of boxes. Boxes for gift giving, boxes from small appliance purchases, small boxes that once contained jewelry items, masses of tissue paper, scads of small pieces of bubble wrap. Craziness! I'm sure it will get more difficult as we go and I am determined to forge ahead. I am hoping the feeling of liberation from unnecessary stuff kicks in as we deal with the hoard!

Wow, those mussels look delicious!

Can sympathize with Cam. We went out for a run yesterday and thought the weather map was clear. Got caught in some showers near the end of lap #1 so the second lap was scrubbed. Oh well. Made for a few miserable minutes. Hate running in the rain.

But, soon you'll be in Barcelona. And we'll be in Prague. [emoji1]

Had a tasty dinner a few nights ago. Made veal saltimbocca with the last of my prosciutto, and served it over some fancy fusilli pasta from Eataly. Yum.

d53439e3b01290e0ad5752232dc4f11a.jpg

Stumbled onto a fantastic wine pairing, with a California red, surprisingly. Cline Mourvèdre had an light, earthy background to go with the ham. But the best part was a eucalyptus note in the wine that really played well with the fresh sage leaves in the saltimbocca. It was phenomenal. Saltimbocca is a Roman dish, and that evergreen note in the wine took us right there. It totally reminded us of the trees that grow on Palatine hill. Love it when that happens!

1c5fa6caef039cd50bbb7ed5c1fae5b6.jpg

If any of you are in Sonoma, visit Cline. They are one of the few still offering free basic tastings. We've been members for about 10 years. They make so many good Rhône varietals. And their ancient vines are so delicious. And their prices are very reasonable. Our local store carries some of their basic wines so we don't have to go to Sonoma weekly, which does save a few bucks. [emoji6]

Enjoy the day, everyone.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

So much going on these days on the boards!

Mysty, I am quite the opposite of a hoarder, but the hubby is a "collector". I am constantly trying to get him to clean and organize things.

Those mussels look amazing! One of my favorite foods.

Well, the office remodel appears to be completed. I have some pictures left to hang, and we might be getting new furniture for the patients to sit in, but we are not quite certain of that just yet. I am very happy with the way things turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks JP! So far the early efforts at the purge have been a modicum of fun! Your meal looks wonderful. We have tasted Cline wines. Yummy! Not easy to get here though!

Shots...unfortunately Myster and I are both hoarders. His hoarding is more related to "not feeling inclined" to do the work necessary to get rid of things. My hoarding is more related to the misapprehension that I may have a use for the stuff in the future. By virtue of the fact that the stuff is in the basement and hasn't been accessed for years, I was obviously misguided in those thoughts. And you would think after 37 years I would have adjusted my thinking. NOT SO!

And now for something completely different. :) The sale of alcohol is controlled in the province of Ontario by the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. They are the watchdogs for the importing, testing and sales of wines and spirits (wineries in the province are allowed to sell their wines online or through their winery retail outlets). Apparently the LCBO has recently issued a recall of the 1.14 litre bottles of Bombay Sapphire Gin. "The Crown corporation says the recall was initiated after an investigation by its quality assurance team found the alcohol content was 77 per cent, instead of the 40 per cent declared on the label."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/lcbo-gin-recall-bombay-gin-1.4096746

That was my first thought, Jeff. I can't get to the article on my phone, but I just read it on my laptop and it appears to be comparing percent to percent. More likely, someone at the factory didn't convert percent to proof? ;)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

It says it was incorrectly blended in the factory (but it isn't clear whether this is fact or government speculation) which seems a bit incredible to me. If it was "knock off" then anything is possible but this seems odd. 77% proof is 44% abv and which would be about right.

And just because it is a government agency doing the testing doesn't mean they got it right. :) The "powers that be" removed all the offending bottles from LCBO shelves, otherwise I would have tried to get a bottle for you J!

Puerto Rican rum is usually 80% proof and 40% alc. volume (just checked my bottle of Bacardi). However, Ron Cañita (usually home distilled) runs close to 90% proof. This rum is supposedly illegal, but authorities usually look the other way, as it is not easily accessed by the general population. Up in our mountains (high hills by almost any standards) it is thought to be freezing in December, when temperatures reach 50 F. It is very comforting to sip a spoonful of Ron Cañita and get under your covers...

Camels,

It's always been an ambition to try and distil but the whole thing is so problematic legally and health wise `i gave up. I was suprised to read that there is a subculture that uses our water distiller to make hooch but I like my eyesight too much.

You must be getting very excited at the up coming travels.