Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Greetings Coolers! Still nasty cold temps here. I despair! More basement clearing yesterday and bringing a large collection of ice skates (from our children's youth) to the Salvation Army for their resale shop. One tiny section of the basement is cleared. :)

Cam....good news that you have arrived safely! What an adventure in the process though! Travel is not a lot of fun these days but I'm sure the next stage will be an absolute delight! Have fun!

JP...excitement must be building for Prague! Hope you both have an awesome trip!

J...sorry to hear about the health inspection issues with your favourite curry place. I remember how much you enjoyed it!

Have a great day all!

Camels,

Terrible experience. Sadly when things start to go wrong it is odd how it continues.

It is no consolation, but I don't know who you flew with but depending on the length of delay, and if your airline is an EU airline, as your destination is within the EU you might be due some statutory worthwhile compensation under EU 261.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

The passport issue has been widely publicised in local press because it is a deliberate act to dissaude tourism.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4442954/Barcelona-cracks-tourism-bans-new-hotels.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4455352/Ryanair-passengers-stranded-Barcelona.html

Anyway ..... best to put it all behind you and look forward to your trip.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

J...all the little bits of data are coming together. I got 2 retirement income forecasts from our finance dude. One is as things now stand assuming a modest 4% rate of return and a 2% inflation for costs. The other is a "doom and gloom" forecast assuming a 25% decrease in our retirement assets and a 3% rate of return along with the same 2% inflation rate for costs. Obviously scenario 1 is the rosiest but even with scenario 2 we will be OK. I have also assembled all the expenses and have identified those expenses that would be in place no matter where we lived. That gives me an idea of how much it is costing us to live in this house. I still need more bits of data but a picture is emerging. :) This was an awesome suggestion J! Thank you! And enjoy Seaside even without the curry! :)

Thanks M,

Well at the moment I can swee from our secuirty cameras that a very kind neighbour has parked his large van in front of our garage at seaside which is sadly what we find with some of them down there. With Helga being such a target for keying etc we don't like not putting her in the garage. This is sadly an on-going saga .... fingers crossed that the van moves before we leave here after midnight ....

M, I know nothing of your situation and I merely make the suggestion. You have modelled two scenarios and many people overlook another option. That is say a nil return on your liquid assets and an inflation of say 3%. Could you survive with an acceptable degree of comfort. This would be the scenario where you basically put all your liquid assets into non volatile safe havens for example bank accounts. That picture implies that you forgo both growth and the avoidance of risking losing all your savings (unlikely I know) for the certainty that you need never worry about how your investments are performing. The underlying question being "Am I prepared to accept the certainty that we can get by on what we have without growth and avoid risking it all on the possibility of being a bit better off." If you have "enough" why risk it all. That was in fact the option we have taken but people rarely discuss it.

OK J! I will work on creating an even doomier and gloomier scenario. We will both receive old age "pensions" from the Feds and I think those funds are indexed to inflation so they will increase every year (unless the government goes bankrupt). I know you made this suggestion before but the thought terrified me. Maybe it's time to look that fear in the face! Safe trip to Seaside! :)

Yes J! It would be liberating! I just created a spreadsheet with bare bones expenditures with a 3% inflation increase and using our current holdings with no projected increase, a pension amount inflation increase of 2%, going out to age 90 (for me). The expenditures do not include federal and provincial income taxes (which are nigh on impossible to predict). The news is not good. There is no room for fun between now and death! And we would definitely run out of money once income taxes are factored in. I'm really glad I did this though. It provides information that I did not have before.

M,

Well it's all information. :D

Remember that the plan isn't set in stone. Firstly it is improbable that you will spend as much later in life on day to day expenditure than now, most people seeing that at ancertain age spending slows down. That implies not amflat line of expenditure but a flattening curve. That might also therefore imply youmcwn plan to spend more earlier.

It is a toughy. but at least you are asking questions and providing yourself with answers and options.

I hope you end up with a plan that works for you both.

Thank you all for your support on our saga. Everything looks up in this city, though. We ventured out for walking, buying souvenirs for our grandkids, and a tapas extravaganza. All was wonderful! I just love Barcelona!

That's great C. You'll find that Barcelona is a place with odd hours with people eating extrmely late. Often tapas followed by a very late meal followed by music and clubbing for those inclined, followed by churros and coffee in the morning hours before heading off to work or bed.

Hope you have a great time this evening.

J....It's all good! The latest spreadsheet was a comfort in a lot of ways. We could survive. And that is good to know! :) Myster and I are really quite blessed. We love each other (no attempts at homicide yet), we live in a wonderful country, we are both relatively healthy, we have good friends and a great family. If we have to sacrifice a few things on our wish list that is a small price to pay. We are grateful for what we have and the comfortable life we are enjoying. I just need to figure out how to add a wee bit more travel and fun to the equation. I really do appreciate all your words of wisdom! :)

No probs at all.

With respect to travel, one of the things many overlook is that they concentrate on what they spend but forget that in retirement you have much more flexibility with travel dates etc. which lends itself to becoming expert in airline and hotel schemes. Payback is much more for premium travel than economy travel because at the lower end the prices are always low. It's a long game but starting now in order to start getting trips in three or four years can be worthwhile.

Anyway ... good luck.

Thank you all for your support on our saga. Everything looks up in this city, though. We ventured out for walking, buying souvenirs for our grandkids, and a tapas extravaganza. All was wonderful! I just love Barcelona!

Wow! What a trip... Glad you could put it behind you and you're having a great time in Barcelona. Enjoy it immensely.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Glad to hear some of the travel drama is done.

Safe journeys and enjoyment.

Dinner tonight was all about the grill. Marinated flank steak with garlic lime herbs, grilled buttered and garlic corn, and shrimp with mushrooms and garlic butter skewers. Surf and turf matched with a California Merlot.

011129017f2e546c42b047d5dafc9455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happily ensconced In the pool grill for lunch. We went to the Picasso museum this morning to see their special exhibition of portraits, we had been to their permanent one beforehand. We really enjoyed it. No plans for this afternoon... Will post later on.

G'Day All.....

Lovely looking dinner Shots....love grilling on the BBQ....in the process of buying a new outdoor grill for this summer and hosting some foodie evenings for the young people!

So sorry to hear of Cam's troubled journey but glad Eurostars Marina came to their assistance with the lousy taxi driver.....wishing you a happy voyage.

Mysty....hope you are safely away from the floods......and hope Jeffers made it to the balcony.....

Weather is still warm and wonderful here, hoping its a good omen for the rest of the summer.

Happy Day 😊

Greetings Coolers! The sun is shining!!!! Not very warm but a very welcome change from the rain!

Miss S....thanks for thinking of us! We are on high ground and inland from the raging rivers. The water has begun to subside and the people who evacuated a getting a first glance of the damage done to their homes by the flood waters. It's heart-breaking. A state of emergency is being declared for many neighbourhoods and towns along the rivers. More rain is expected for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. :(

Shots....your meal looks delicious!

Cam...enjoy, enjoy,enjoy!!!!!

J...also hope you and dear wifey and Helga made it smoothly to Seaside.

And last but not least, Myster stepped out of his wheelhouse last night and created a delicious Walnut Haddock with Lemon Wine Sauce. He's getting very good with his meal magic! :)

DSC05063_zpshw1ply4o.jpg

Have a great day all!

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Soapy, I hope you're going to post a few BBQ piccies ...

Shots and Myster what great food piccies ...

Camels, great to see you and Roberto esconced into your suite ......and you can put Europe behind yo for amday or two.

I noticed on the UK highways website that our normal route down to Seaside was closed at exactly the time we were due to leave with diversions planned. But then they also diverted the diversions in a combination of planning failures that turned into one of those things you have nightmares about. So our two hour journey was a four hour trek mostly driving in the wrong direction. Helga stood up to the job and I am afraid her joi de vivre gave us some overly exuberant speeds and I had this voice in my left ear constantly saying "Jeff you know your speed is over xxxx" (exact numbers deleted to protect the accused) :D

Just heard back from the Intercontinetal in Vienna and they have upgraded us to our favourite suite and lounge access and a lovely note from them. Much much more than we deserve. Chris the Mercedes has confirmed that he will take is to and from Heathrow and has given us a loyalty discount. It is great. He gave the normal prices, gave us a £10 loyalty discount ech way but only knocked off £5 but that I guess is life as we know it.

So as last year, if any coolers are tempted into joining us between the first Monday in December until Friday wifey and I will be happy to host a daily Christmas Market Safari featuring Nussen and punch mit schuss in all Vienna Christmas Markets for few days with a visit up to a typical heurige for a buffet lunch on at least one day all days of aimless but concerted enjoyment. For some reason with the exception of the odd year we appear to have been doing exactly the same thing for the same week in December for several decades.

Nice food, shots and mysty! I have to get out to the bbq more often but trying to eat light for a while before the upcoming trip. Need to save room for those vacation calories!

We do have some corn that we picked up at the grocery store on Sunday so we have to cook that soon.

Last night was a turkey breast medallion, pan seared, and served with a wine, lemon, and broth pan sauce. I thickened it like a gravy. Simple but tasty, over some jasmine rice.

bc022fa9cb2c198424377d8c2bd900dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Jeff, I see that we are not alone with travel mishaps. I could not help but chuckle at your recounting the story. I also see that Mysty and JP coincided in choosing wine lemon sauce for their meals. Love it!! And, yes, super glad that both Miss.S and Mysty are free of flooding problems. BTW, Jeff, that is a loveley invitation for a Coolers reunion. In our case the dates do not work, as we will be visiting Roberto's sister in Tampa, Florida. What shame! Would have loved going to Vienna...

Lovely food.

Lots of crunch tempered with foam.

Yum.

Spent day agonizing over dog.

She has elevate bilirubin and liver enzymes. And has for awhile.

We have been trying holistic approach. Lignans may have helped slightly but not enough.

We are now into the more traditional rule out and rule in.

So far no definitive answers.

And so it goes. She doesn't seem to be in any pain or at least hadn't shown symptoms.

It's in the blood work.

Seems like I just went through this with the grand dog.