Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Oh, yes, Spins. Ready and excited! Whatever is left behind will not be missed, I'm sure. But I can't say the same thing about DH. Apart from his camera and the tux, he hasn't the slightest idea what he will need to pack... and he packs himself.

This cruise is almost a mirror image of our lovely TA in the Spirit last November. Except that, after Gibraltar, we veer north towards Portugal and France, rather than South towards Barbados. So much looking forward to our first time in Porto and in Bordeaux. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good traditional bistro in Bordeaux? We do not want to experience the manicured food we can get at a good French restaurant in New York, but rather the old fashioned plates that go so well with the city's treasures. Steak frites anybody?

For those interested in such things, Prince Philip's full title ...

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Member of the Order of Merit, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen’s Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit, Lord of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.

If you wish to send him a birthday card in a couple of months, best get a large envelope.

Watching the Kentucky derby hype!

Since I did spend time in Kentucky, in the heart of horsey country, Lexington, I enjoy the hat nuttiness! I even had a southern drawl at one time, and pronounced Versailles as VERSAYLES. Time for a mint julep!

Camillus you must be chomping at the bit too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dear Spins, I don't know what "chomping at the bit" means, but I guess you must mean I'm nervous and excited about our forthcoming travels. We really are! Back in 1986 I visited Louisville, Kentucky, for the Grawemayer Award Gala, the prize was given to Roberto's teacher in Hamburg and he invited us for the celebration. The countryside is beautiful! And we visited the Derby Museum. There was a statue of a horse that won the triple crown at some point (can't remember the name) and the owner's son had been our neighbor in PR. This name I remember, Esteban Rodriguez Maduro. Wow, so many years ago...

Cam, I just used Jose Cuervo. I save the better stuff for straight. We just recently bought a bottle of Don Julio 1942, which is probably my favorite tequila. But, at $130 a bottle, one we enjoy sparingly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my, at $130 a bottle, you do like your tequila!! We don't do mixed drinks at home (Roberto prefers wine, straight up) but when in a restaurant, I sometimes ask for a Margarita. I see that they use Patrón, which I guess must be the cheapo stuff. I'll see if they have anything similar in the Whisper....

We'll be on the Whisper beginning this next week, too, and looking forward to a lively group! I've been trying to sign on to the role call but keep getting an error message so, if I'm not alone, maybe that's why there hasn't been much activity there.

We haven't been on the Whisper for close to ten years so looking forward to it. On another note, the weather seems iffy, as it has been here this spring. Do you think we're looking at jackets and sweaters?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OldMac, I see what happened. Two things: first go to the Roll Call Page in the Boards Section and click on Silversea. In order to join the roll call, just write to us in the blank posting space. Second, in the upper section of the Roll Call page you will find Meet and Mingle. Click and it will ask you to register. This way you will receive an invitation. You are right that CC has taken our cruise out of the easy way of doing it!

Good afternoon Coolers,

Camels, I was thinking about Roberto last night and "the creative process" ...

There is a really great programme on The Beeb in the UK about iconic albums and the creative process. This one was on Carly Simon's iconic album which of course had such things as "You're so Vain" etc. She was never really my cup of tea but hearing the process by which scrap pieces of paper become something you hear on the radio is so stimulating and makes you realise what a wonderful gift artistic creative talent is. I guess entrepreneurial talent is a creative talent and I guess that both create from scratch but artistic creative talent is something I really wish I had and is one of the few things I envy.

Anyway, we're off to Seaside Tuesday so I'm making stuff for wifey that she will miss with our smaller kitchen down there ... and today was steak frites.

50a59e9791ed3daf92d69a03d1043893.jpg

b2a0f863c7da933f244e9b6b6a479c4b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cam, I like Parton, but it is not cheap!!! Tequila has different types and can be aged like whiskey. Blanco, or the American Silver varieties are not aged, and usually what is used in mixed drinks. Repasado is usually aged a few months. Anejo (or gold) is usually aged around a year.The Don Julio 1942 is aged 2.5 years and drinks like a find cognac with hints of vanilla and caramel.

The trick with good tequila is to find 100% blue agave. Then find what you like and what tastes good to you from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Jeff, artistically creative talent is difficult to understand/explain even to the artists! Roberto has a hard time with the concept, but he took a shot at it in the video I had shared with you. Entrepreneurial talent seems to conform more to objectification, but, as you very well know, not totally. Of course you can follow a set of long time accepted guidelines, but the real talent comes through when you veer away, change order, introduce new ways, etc. Just the when and the how is many times a mystery, much the same mystery it is to Roberto when a new set of notes ring into his consciousness.

And this brings me to wish for a Margarita! I'll be sure to check Shots' suggestions and the percentage of agave in the Whisper's offerings.