Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Sorry Spins. Ashley the ancient cat is having a tough time too. She wouldn't eat this morning, and the house cleaner said that she didn't see her today. Need to get home and see what's going on with her. Good luck with your dog.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Greetings Coolers!

Best wishes and good vibes headed your way Spins for the dear dog! Trying time for the family!

J.. the fish and chips look awesome...as does the brew! Life is good at the Seaside!

Struggling with dreams versus reality at this point. And I am thankful that I am lucky enough to enjoy both.

Great evening all!

Thanks J! I have the book on my kindle now. I'm just finishing The Way of the Traveler and Epicurus is next on my list. I am looking for inspiration wherever I can find it! :) Lots of interesting insights in the book I'm reading now. Lots of food for thought to chew on.

Epicurus was probably the most misrepresented of the great Greek philosophers as a modern Epicurian has almost the opposite set of values than the great man himself. He focusses on the true nature of pleasure and how one cannot probably find it in acquisitiveness but almost the opposite with the simpler things offering the most pleasure.

I don't want to detract from the joy of discovery but a few of his thoughts within the context of the work you are now doing and the thoughts and rationale behind them and the angst that not having enough might bring but needn't.

Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little.

If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires.

Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.

It is better for you to be free of fear lying upon a pallet, than to have a golden couch and a rich table and be full of trouble.

The greater the difficulty, the more the glory in surmounting it.

I guess that one of the worst things in life is fear of the unknown because the imagination is capable and creative of painting so many dark pictures of what might be to fill that vacuum. So your approach of this spreadsheet allows you to remove a very large part of that fear of the unknown by replacing it with rational choices even if those choices don't provide for every aspiration you have today.

We can't have everything and even if we could that doesn't guarantee happiness. The certainty of being out of danger financially is probably one of the greatest luxuries you can have.

EDITED: Just an afterthought M. I wouldn't treat Epicurus as a book as such. Think of his writings more like a bag of sweets where you take one out and savour it for a while ... just let it melt in the brain and absorb it ...and then go back for some more later.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

"EDITED: Just an afterthought M. I wouldn't treat Epicurus as a book as such. Think of his writings more like a bag of sweets where you take one out and savour it for a while ... just let it melt in the brain and absorb it ...and then go back for some more later." - gospel according to J.

What a beautiful way to describe it J! Thank you!

Thanks for all of the good thoughts for Eloise. We wait for this first round of blood work results. Next week is an ultrasound and perhaps, gasp, a liver biopsy( which i have witnessed in people, ouch) but all under sedation. As I mentioned no signs of pain but some increased water drinking and lethargy...Cushings in in the differential.

JP did you find le chat? Hope so and that al is ok.

Enjoying reading Camillus posts on another thread.

Mysty did you also find roller skates?

Sophia, not too long until September...do you have a cruise before then?

Shots, what's the Friday night menu?

Jeff are you at the seaside?

Happy Friday all

Spins...you're talking my language here! :) The Flexible Flyer is missing in action. I think I may have passed that on to my daughter after she had her first child. I found a link for them on amazon. They are pricey now!

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Flyer-Steel-Runner-60-inch/dp/B000AX24HE

I'm almost afraid to find out what is in the very back corner of the horror show we call a basement! I may need some liquid courage for that exploration!

Roller skates...a blast from the past.

Spins, we found Ashley. She was normal and ate like a horse. It's a roller coaster ride with her. Hope she's ok while we are away.

Liver biopsy. Yeah that can sting a little. Hope it goes smoothly. My sister's husky had Cushings years back. She gave her injections to slow down the hormones.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Mysty

I remember when my parents downsized their house in Connecticut. My mom called her relatives and offered them a choice of the lovely and quite valuable antiques she had. It was one way of keeping a tradition going. She also gifted silver serving pieces, glassware and crystal and other objects to her nieces and nephews. I did inherit some things, but my Mom also wanted to "spread the wealth" so to speak.

Your travails with your basement and the treasures you are uncovering, along with their associated memories for you, brings back the memories of my parents relinquishing worldly goods.

They never really looked back after that, they were unencumbered and free to move about, which they did for some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Spins

Thank you so much for your post! It made my heart sing! I'm not sure my kids are into a lot of the stuff I will have on offer. If not, I can try nieces and nephews. The younger crowd does not seem to care for silver tea sets and crystal glasses. I think their lives are too busy to consider taking on the care of treasures. That's OK. I can understand that too! I'll find a home for everything salvageable and get rid of things that aren't. It is definitely a trip down memory lane though! Myster had to go through a big box of his mom's recipes and he did find some family favourites. Tedious task but the end result will be liberating for us both! Thanks again Spins!

That must have been a real source of joy for your parents Spins! Our relatives do not live very close by and they very seldom visit us nor us them. Family sort of lost touch when my parents and Myster's parents died. I'm sure I can find a good home for things. Maybe donations to nursing homes or senior's residences. I'll think of something. :)

When Roberto and I moved to USA, and both children were away in College, my dear mom decided that my daughter's dolls should be enjoyed by poor people in PR, which was a. Wry kind thought. However, she did not ask my daughter, and she would have liked to save them for her own girls. As time went by, my daughter thought my mom did the right thing. Girls now play with virtual dolls!!

Good Evening Coolers.

Of things disposed of by parents. As you know I use to play records and built up a very varied and complete collection. The records were all sent to me each Friday which was the release day of records in the UK. The records are unique in that they had special labels on them with a large A on the A side and a large B on the B side to ensure DJs played the correct side. They also had printed on them "PROMOTION COPY. NOT FOR RESALE". Some had flourescent coloured labels so that they could be seen under low ultra violet lights. Over time many of those records became extremely rare and valuable to collectors. I had pretty much every single and album released for around 5 iconic years, each and every one unique not just because many became collectors pieces but because of these special labels which meant that they had been used for broadcasting and in clubs..

For reasons I won't bore you with when I was 16 I found myself unexpectedly homeless and had to move around a bit from sofa, to park bench to clubs etc. I later during a period of accomodation disruption asked my father to store my backlog collection for me for safe keeping for a few weeks whilst I got sorted out.

I went to collect them and my dear mother had decided to put them all in the rubbish and they were all lost. She also decided to give away all of my toys at the same time.

There is nothing stranger than a strange mother!

Happily esconced at Seaside Spins. :)

Thanks for all of the good thoughts for Eloise. We wait for this first round of blood work results. Next week is an ultrasound and perhaps, gasp, a liver biopsy( which i have witnessed in people, ouch) but all under sedation. As I mentioned no signs of pain but some increased water drinking and lethargy...Cushings in in the differential.

JP did you find le chat? Hope so and that al is ok.

Sophia, not too long until September...do you have a cruise before then?

Happy Friday all

Do hope Eloise will be ok Spins....think we worry more about our furry babies than our kids at times.

No cruise booked before September but I'm on the Spirit again in December plus two more booked for next year.

Enjoying the heirloom banter....hope everyone has a good weekend.....☺️

Miss S. What a treat to have wonderful adventures on the horizon! I'm sure you will enjoy the heck out of them all!

J....So sorry to hear about the loss of part of your history. You must have been heartbroken! Not an easy thing to get over either!

M, Yes, it was and will always be a mystery. I have relatively recently concluded that you should never try to rationalise the irrational as it only sends you around the bend! The collection would have certainly seen all my three kids in some level of luxury if they were sold today.

Still onwards and upwards!

:D