Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

All the rage when I was training - which, if nothing else, tells you how long ago that was!

Incidentally, again perhaps showing my age here, but are we still recommending a high calcium diet to reduce the absorption of oxalates?

TTS - I just wonder how long it will be before the stuff I learned in med school will be antiquated. Only 25 years but things can change quickly. In 100 years, will they look back at the stuff we do now, like we look back at the pre-antibiotic era? It is humbling to think that.

It reminds me of a line in Star Trek IV, where the crew time-travels back to present-day San Francisco. One of the guys falls down and whacks his head badly and is comatose. He's found by EMS and brought to a modern-day hospital where they have to rescue him. Bones McCoy (the ship doctor) says something along the lines of, "We've got to get him away from those barbarians - they'll drill a hole in his head!" Calling our state-of-the-art neurosurgery barbaric... The Enterprise of course has some sort of techno-gizmo that they place over his head to heal the subdural hematoma in seconds.

Greetings Coolers! More sunshine! And we are expecting temps with a humidex of 38 C. Crazy weather here!

J...glad Helga performed well and you are safely home again!

JP....You and Chris must be off soon for your next adventure. Excitement building? :)

Hope Terry is recovering and doing OK.

We're off to a retirement lunch for Myster this afternoon. I'm so glad they are going to recognize his efforts for the company. :) Tomorrow we head out for the weekend to visit our daughter and her family. Myster and I are going to babysit the kids overnight Friday. We've never done this before so fingers crossed we all survive!

Have a great day all!

Oh, Mysty, babysitting, how much fun! I remember my first time. I was so afraid of even taking him out of the crib...afraid he would slip from my arms... Our two oldest now live in Texas and are teenagers, soon they will babysit us!! The nearest three ones are a real joy as well. You'll do wonderfully!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Cam! :) The boys are 5 and 3. They have never been without their parents overnight. Not sure how they will react on Saturday morning. If there is a melt down we will just have to figure something out! We are nothing if not resourceful! Ha Ha!

Probably not surgery per se. Rather, an internal laser lithotripsy. External shock wave lithotripsy is OK but can create fragments that are painful to pass, and can bruise the adjacent kidney. Internal laser can be better tolerated as it fragments more effectively and can be targeted more carefully. Surgery, called open pyelolithotomy, is almost never used these days.

YES, super excellent summary from JP. Your great medical skills and knowledge are showing through smartly and correctly. It was an internal laser lithotripsy. Oh, and as you might have guessed, I am alive and well. Procedure went fine, except for lots of pricks and probes to find a good blood vein for the IV, etc. My veins are a challenge to find and connect.

The skilled urologist, Dr. Herbert Riemenschneider, got things done in a very good manner. Playing off of his name, I said he was "Reaming my Schneider"!! Get it? Sorry (or the good news), is that I have no selfie pictures to share. The skilled surgeon got in there and broke up the 8 mm kidney stone. Things, however got pretty painful last night between 9 pm and midnight as those smaller particles were passing out through my system. BUT, I finally got some sleep last night and am feeling pretty well this morning. Drinking lots of water, etc.

Appreciate the added nice wishes from Jeff, Spins and mysty! Fortunately my wife, Penny, is an RN and very patient/tolerant in looking after me, getting the bag drained, making me take the proper meds, etc.

With some extra time on my hands, I am continuing to finalize certain arrangements for our June Lisbon to Rouen sailing on the Silver Spirit. Just 23 days till we fly out to Lisbon on June 9.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 179,575 views for this posting.

TTS - I just wonder how long it will be before the stuff I learned in med school will be antiquated. Only 25 years but things can change quickly. In 100 years, will they look back at the stuff we do now, like we look back at the pre-antibiotic era? It is humbling to think that.

It reminds me of a line in Star Trek IV, where the crew time-travels back to present-day San Francisco. One of the guys falls down and whacks his head badly and is comatose. He's found by EMS and brought to a modern-day hospital where they have to rescue him. Bones McCoy (the ship doctor) says something along the lines of, "We've got to get him away from those barbarians - they'll drill a hole in his head!" Calling our state-of-the-art neurosurgery barbaric... The Enterprise of course has some sort of techno-gizmo that they place over his head to heal the subdural hematoma in seconds.

You mean we haven't got those gizmos yet in the ER? I've been retired 10 years, I'd have thought things would be at Star Trek levels by now. At least.

It has come to my attention

And has caused embarrassment

A phrase I used in all innocence

Meant something quite different.

The phrase that sparked this quandary

“On the job” it was

Means “in the course of working” here

In jolly England it caused a buzz.

When I stopped blushing from my gaff

I decided to check out

Other phrases with potential

To make me sound a lout.

Now here the term “no biggie”

Means “not a problem at all”

In England the sense is different

“Biggie” is what “poo” a child does call.

The reverse, of course, is also true

With potential to dismay

“Keep your pecker up” to us

Doesn’t involve a chin in any way.

So while we both use English

To communicate our every thought

Beware the subtle differences

Or in a cock up you’ll be caught.

:)

Evening All......

Terry, pleased all went well for you and you are recovering.....am l correct in thinking cranberry juice is good for this condition......

TTS.....do hope you and your lovely lady are well...☺️

Hectic weekend for Mysty.....l suggest earplugs, painkillers and scotch....😉

Love the ditty M....when l first went to sea at the tender age of 19 l had to learn very quickly about our language differences....apparently asking ones steward to 'knock me up at six in the morning' wasn't quite the correct phrase to use 😳

Looks like a storm brewing here it's gone very dark but terribly humid.....

S 😊

Greetings Coolers! Just enjoying some quiet and stockpiling the peace to last me through the weekend.

Thank you for your suggestions Miss S. I won't need the earplugs as I can simply remove my hearing aids. :) Myster may well need them though.

J...I rather like the "impish". Much better than "shrewish". :)

Have a great weekend all!

S, that is pretty funny. The poor steward...having a 19 year old asking him to knock her up. ;)

Language does allow endless opportunity to embarrass oneself. The classic example that is always stuck in my head (courtesy of my HS French teacher) is the word plein(e). It means "full" in French. But if a lady says "Je suis pleine" it does not mean "I am full." It means "I am pregnant" (Perhaps this relates to the type of wake up call that S outlined above)!

In any event, my teacher shared that she found this out as a young lady, when she was staying in France to study, and tried to tell her dinner hosts that she was full...much to her embarrassment! :o

G'Day coolers.....

JP....l very quickly had to learn a new language!! But still giggle about it some forty five years later.

It's been a very busy morning here at Soapy Manor....furry baby and l ventured out to pick up our begonias for potting, also found a very nice water feature and a duck statue....don't ask! We have an antique emporium near to me which I've never visited before but will most certainly go to again....Aladdins Cave it is with so much intersting stuff on offer and much cheaper than the commercial garden centres.

Luncheon today is a simple offering of local Baked Ham, egg and chips.....

Hope Mysty is coping with her babysitting duties!

Happy Friday 😊

Good day all .....

Good to see no mention of any infections Soapy ... so is all now clear?

Wifey is at the dentists currently ... hopefully she'll be OK! Today I have made her a nice cottage pie with a cheesey potato and carrot topping which she will have with Spins favourite peas. Hopefully whatever they do to her she will be able to suck some pie.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop as I look at a six foot high pile of shoes already dropped.

Every day I exhaust my adrenaline stores.

Every day is stunning.

It's exhausting, debilitating,demoralizing,depressing and abusive to the people of our country.

I don't know what will happen.

Arrived about 90 minutes ago (landed 20m early) and passport control was empty. We had carry-on bags only, so we were through and on the bus to the city at the exact time we were scheduled to land. Got to the hotel 12:30 and the room was ready.

Now for a shower and some touring! Our friends will be here in a few hours to join us for dinner. Looks great so far!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app