Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Terry, The story I read was that when the BA system imploded they set about the process of telephoning all the software engineers to call them in only to realise that their contact details were all and solely kept on the computer ......

From the BBC within the past hour, they have this headline: Chaos continues at Heathrow with these highlights: More than a third of British Airways flights from Heathrow have been cancelled as disruption to passengers enters a second day. The airline was hit by a worldwide computer system power failure on Saturday, causing cancellations and delays for thousands of passengers. Sunday departures from Gatwick are delayed, but none have been cancelled.

Clearly this is a big-time mess. Really getting costly for BA customers and the cause seems rather questionable as to how this much damage/impact could happen.

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40074751

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 180,653 views for this posting.

As I understand it Terry, it started as a simple power failure that BA staff were unable to reboot up.

The engineers details they wanted to call in were on the system so they couldn't call the right people in but had to hope that the engineers themselves would pro-actively read the news and make contact. There were stories emerging that whilst BA press office were telling the press and TV that flights were cancelled - at that stage until 6pm (since extended) passengers in BA lounges and at departure gate lounges watching the news on TV and on the wires were being told by BA staff to ignore the news "because it was factually wrong" because no one thought to tell BA staff first. In outposts which are often not manned by BA staff, departure gate lounges were simply abandoned by contractor staff and passengers remained there until freed sometimes in order of priority ie when they could detect people with connections that they could make quick fixes for.

The problem is for BA that EU261 locks in for all passengers effected offering substantial compensation on top of alternative travel or refunds. This is considered by the legislation as issues within the control of BA. There is also a "duty of care" within the legislation which is costly. Those whose luggage has been paralysed at Heathrow or Gatwick will be entitled to spend up to a maximum of around £1000 for immediate needs whilst abroad until their luggage catches up with them and those abroad will need to be watered, housed and fed whilst they wait for BA to get them home. Those going on cruises may have to spend a lot of cash if their case doesn't join them for embarkation .......

It could end up being a record breaking costly "computer glitch".

Greetings Coolers! We have sun! Myster is out for his weekly golf game. He won't have to struggle through rain drops this time.

Nasty situation with BA. Heathrow and Gatwick must have been nightmares over the last couple of days. Good job that you missed that Cam!

We had a wonderful meal on Friday night. We did the 5 course tasting menu with a wine pairing. An amuse bouche of duck pate was followed by a cold appetizer of lobster bits, then a hot appetizer of scallop and crab meat, then foie gras in a bit of duck consomme, then quail, then dessert. We were sufficiently suffonsified to say the least. Our accommodation was lovely as well.

Enjoy your all day!

As I understand it Terry, it started as a simple power failure that BA staff were unable to reboot up. The problem is for BA that EU261 locks in for all passengers effected offering substantial compensation on top of alternative travel or refunds. This is considered by the legislation as issues within the control of BA. There is also a "duty of care" within the legislation which is costly. Those whose luggage has been paralysed at Heathrow or Gatwick will be entitled to spend up to a maximum of around £1000 for immediate needs whilst abroad until their luggage catches up with them and those abroad will need to be watered, housed and fed whilst they wait for BA to get them home. Those going on cruises may have to spend a lot of cash if their case doesn't join them for embarkation ....... It could end up being a record breaking costly "computer glitch".

WOW!! Amazing added details and background from Jeff. Glad that I am neither a BA stockholder and/or regular customer. Our upcoming flights to Lisbon/Portugal and back from Paris are with American Airlines.

But, this "mess" points out how vulnerable are the airlines to any and all such "computer glitches". Really messy and super costly.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 51,052 views for these postings.

Edited by TLCOhio

On the British Airway meltdown, I noticed some interesting details from the UK Daily Mail today. Know this that media source can be a little "on the edge", but this story makes some key, important points and raises serious questions.

From today, they have this headline: 'Inexperienced' BA boss who oversaw cost-cutting drive is blamed for IT meltdown which could cost £150m with these highlights: British Airways boss Alex Cruz has been blamed for causing the computer meltdown that saw thousands of passengers stranded on Saturday after outsourcing hundreds of IT job to India.

Mr Cruz, who founded low-cost carrier Clickair and headed budget airline Vueling before being appointed BA chief last year, was accused of replacing highly-skilled British IT professionals with low-cost overseas workers. GMB union chiefs said the IT outage, which experts believed could cost the airline £150million in compensation, would have been avoided if those jobs had been allowed to remain in the UK.

Did not realize this "cut-back" background on the relatively new BA CEO. This explains lots as to why it seems that this once well-respected airline is reducing services and sliding in quality. Am I missing something? Or, off track? In the past, we have loved our experiences with BA and their staff. But, it has been about seven years since we have flown on this airline.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 214,785 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

No it doesn't Terry.

The misinformation was put out by the GMB union who obviously objected to the outsourcing. The GMB has been involved with and has been at the heart of virtually every bit of union disruption in BA for as long as I can remember. Including two that have disrupted us .... one when we were due to join a BA flight to get to Istanbul for Wind and they upped sticks and had a lightening 24 hour check in strike with zero warning.

No it doesn't Terry. The misinformation was put out by the GMB union who obviously objected to the outsourcing. The GMB has been involved with and has been at the heart of virtually every bit of union disruption in BA for as long as I can remember. Including two that have disrupted us .... one when we were due to join a BA flight to get to Istanbul for Wind and they upped sticks and had a lightening 24 hour check in strike with zero warning.

Appreciate this great added background and follow-up from Jeff. YES, understand fully that some union bosses do "spin" and/or play games with the "facts" to exploit a situation for the benefit of the union viewpoint/position. It's called "posturing"!! Glad you provided this added perspective.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 68,410 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Hi Terry,

The BA situation is highly complex, and to be frank, although many of the cuts that BA makes are very unwelcome and may seem petty, in my view it is nothing short of a miracle that they have survived.

The key legacy is that they might be described almost as a giant pension deficit company running an airline almost as a sideline.

In the old days in the UK pensions schemes were based on final salaries with staff making a minor contribution. After some bits of unfortunate meddling mostly by Gordon Brown when he was chancellor, the ability of companies to sustain their final salary pesnions (defined benefits) schemes almost vanished in considerably less than a decade and replaced by simpler cheaper defined contribution programmes. Final guaranteed salary schemes were basically killed off by the Labour party when they removed tax alloawnces of dividends held within pensions schemes and other bits of meddling. To give you an idea, in many schemes a £1m worth of scheme perhaps producing a £40k per year pilots pension (and that would be a low pension) might have only cost the pilot over his career net of tax reliefd at his highest rate perhaps £80k in total over his/her whole career.

BA recently agreed with staff and unions a way forward. This has left BA with a total pensions deficit approaching £3bn which they have agreed to bring down by contributing £300m each year until 2027. They have to do this against the background of legacy practices and salaries and benefits that are rich compared to the low cost carriers. Some of the LCCs make their pilots pay for their uniforms and training. BA are competing in that environment.

They realised some time ago that they couldn't survive without growth but growth couldn't be achieved with the levels of earning and expenses that the long-term employees were enjoying. So they started a fresh and new fleet called "mixed fleet" of lower paid staff than those on World Fleet. This obviously caused contentions and issues but was the only way BA could expand. At the same time they needed to break the stranglehold of unions like GMB whilst managing costs hence the decision like lots of service being offloaded offshore.

That is the background against which the debacle of the last few days could be viewed. It is a monumental managment failure but one shouldn't conclude prematurely that there was something wrong with the decision around the IT staffing stuff you've been reading until the facts are known. It may have been a GMB member's failure ........ :)

For what it's worth I think it is nothing short of a miracle that BA and IAG have survived so far and their staff and unions might want to consider that before they sling stuff around in the press.

Anyway, that's my take on it. Apologies for typos.

G'Day Coolers!

Typical Bank Holiday weather here....cool and raining....the only advantage being that l don't have to water the tubs!

Never venture out on a holiday so it's wine and sofa time with furry baby...🍷

Sad business with BA.....a friend of mine has been stuck there and has been amazed by the attitude of both staff and passengers kicking up tempers and tantrums....LHR is an airport l try to avoid particularly on a return in transit as its very stressful...even in F or C....cabin crew are always brilliant but ground agents can be a right pain.

I am travelling out to Athens with them in Sept and quite happy to see the shuttle from Manchester now offers the Club product and so far with good feedback.

Hope the sunshine continues for Mysty....also hope Mrs Jeffers dental trauma is now calmer....

Beef curry on the go for lunch....am craving spice 😉

Happy Day All ☺️

G'Day Coolers!

Typical Bank Holiday weather here....cool and raining....the only advantage being that l don't have to water the tubs!

Never venture out on a holiday so it's wine and sofa time with furry baby...🍷

Sad business with BA.....a friend of mine has been stuck there and has been amazed by the attitude of both staff and passengers kicking up tempers and tantrums....LHR is an airport l try to avoid particularly on a return in transit as its very stressful...even in F or C....cabin crew are always brilliant but ground agents can be a right pain.

I am travelling out to Athens with them in Sept and quite happy to see the shuttle from Manchester now offers the Club product and so far with good feedback.

Hope the sunshine continues for Mysty....also hope Mrs Jeffers dental trauma is now calmer....

Beef curry on the go for lunch....am craving spice 😉

Happy Day All ☺️

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Yes BA was dire yesterday ...... feel so sorry for all those people. Heads should roll!

Thanks Soapy, yes wifey is fine and today is her first alcohol day so some bream and champers is on the cards.

ps. check your mail fiters soapy ......;)

Greetings Coolers!

Miss S. the sun lasted for only one day. Rain and chill this morning. I feel like this is the land that summer forgot! Enjoy your wine and the company of furry baby! And you don't have to bother watering the pots. :)

J.... your bream and champers sound wonderful. So glad that Mrs. J will get to enjoy your culinary arts again.

Hope JP and Chris are having a grand time!

We head out to Calgary tomorrow to visit our son and his family. The newest addition will be a year old in June. We haven't seen them since December and we can't wait to spend some time with them. Weather in Calgary is much like it is here though.

Have a great day all!

Hey all. Miss everyone at the cooler but have barely had time to read, let alone report. We've been crazy busy the past 10 days. Prague, then Berlin, then Copenhagen - 3 days in each, all new cities for us. It was intense but lots of fun. More later...on our plane at CDG, waiting to leave the gate. Almost home!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hi Terry, The BA situation is highly complex, and to be frank, although many of the cuts that BA makes are very unwelcome and may seem petty, in my view it is nothing short of a miracle that they have survived. The key legacy is that they might be described almost as a giant pension deficit company running an airline almost as a sideline. In the old days in the UK pensions schemes were based on final salaries with staff making a minor contribution. After some bits of unfortunate meddling mostly by Gordon Brown when he was chancellor, the ability of companies to sustain their final salary pesnions (defined benefits) schemes almost vanished in considerably less than a decade and replaced by simpler cheaper defined contribution programmes. For what it's worth I think it is nothing short of a miracle that BA and IAG have survived so far and their staff and unions might want to consider that before they sling stuff around in the press.

Appreciate from Jeff these excellent details/background as to how the tangles of the Gordon Brown years impacts the pensions and the long-term finances for this airline. WOW!! Had no idea that "things" were this screwed up. Clearly, they are trying to "fix" it, but it seems that this situation will get worse as current airline economics cannot sustain these huge future pension payment costs. Really sad as BA has had a great history and wonderful traditions.

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 31,982 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hey all. Miss everyone at the cooler but have barely had time to read, let alone report. We've been crazy busy the past 10 days. Prague, then Berlin, then Copenhagen - 3 days in each, all new cities for us. It was intense but lots of fun. More later...on our plane at CDG, waiting to leave the gate. Almost home!

Great to hear from JP and Chris. Really looking forward to hearing more details and reading the specifics for what you loved and enjoyed. Have been and super enjoyed both Copenhagen and Prague. Not been to Berlin, yet. Seems like three very different cities. Right? Looking forward to seeing how you contrast and compared these locations. Safe travels back from Paris de Gaulle airport.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,008 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Terry,

and it turns out that it was a power surge in the UK data center that has nothing whatsover to do with the outsourcing to Tata in India. In fact all the people in the UK data centers who belong to a union are GMB members.

Very sad to see that John Noakes is no more. That scene .... you must google ... of Lulu the elephant with that poor zoo keeper on Blue Peter slipping up in the elephant urine lake and landing in some elephant poo and sitting in the dark .... is the finest piece of tv ever broadcast. One never tires of viewing it. "Martin! .... Martin!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wzJbR-PuCM

Wow Coolers! Been gone a few weeks and miss so much. DH and I have been very sick with upper respiratory infections that turned into pneumonia. We are finally starting to feel more ourselves today. Planning to venture out for provisions. No cooking/pictures of late, unless you wanted to see bowl after bowl of chicken noodle soup!

Hope friends are remaining safe overseas in this scary new world.

Happy Memorial Day to all my US friends. Take a moment to remember the lives sacrificed for our freedoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back, JP and Chris, and safe travels home. If Albany is anything like our area...rainy and grey...wishing you lots of sun.

Misty, what a wonderful five course dinner and wine pairings! Our Friday dinner with the family was more homestyle at a rather nice Italian restaurant in Skaneateles.

I don't take photos and know nothing of uploading them; but hope you can get a glimpse of our family.

Shots, I do hope that you and your husband are totally recovered from the nasty pneumonia. Do take care of yourselves!

Jeff, I'm certainly glad Heathrow was a calm sea when we arrived and waited for boarding last Thursday. I feel for all those with disrupted travel plans; it can be miserable. BTW, I have been thinking about your "idler" concept, and hopefully will have time to jot down some notes for your feedback. I have to spend time now preparing for the Drama Club for Seniors that I co-facilitate. It's work, but extremely rewarding for me.

MissS., we love curry at our house...spice it on!

Camels,

energetically loafing is an under appreciated skill and talent. It takes skill, awareness and determination. I am rarely completely bored when I have nothing to do. In fact the only time I'm really bored is when given a task to do. I have to complete it straight away so I can get back to the real job in hand. Idling.