Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Good to hear of your recovery Terry snd a glass held up to toast your upcoming trip.

Terry we were lucky enough to attend a wedding in Ile de Re in September 2016. The island itself is very pretty with long sandy beaches and many kilometres of cycle tracks. The small towns are most attractive. Local food specialities are oysters, sea salt and their delicious Pineau wine, first made 400 years ago when wine and cognac were mixed in a barrel accidentally! What a happy mistake..

Appreciate Jeff's nice comments and kind wishes for our Portugal, Spain and France adventures. Love the great food picture today from Jeff. Looks very, very tasty!!

Excellent added info and background from 57 varieties on Ile de Re along the Atlantic Coast of France. With this eleven-day cruise having port stops each day, we will have some nice and enjoyable places to see and sample. Looking forward to this trip and the ability to get in-depth for our first visits to Lisbon, NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany. Keep it coming for sharing experiences and tips from these areas. Plus, this will be our first time on the Silver Spirit after doing four cruises on the Silver Cloud. Love any added sharing for Silver Spirit "secrets", creative ideas for this ship, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 32,064 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Terry, Ile de re is a great place and very unspoilt. A complete antidote to say Nice or Cannes. It's a place to cycle and walk around particularly around the quay and the citadel. A possible for lunch I'd go for ....

http://www.re-hotel-ocean.com/en/restaurant-hotel-ocean/

Ask anything you want and I'll try to help.

Great added background and suggestion from Jeff. Wonderful!! From the Wall Street Journal's comprehensive profile this morning, here is more of its background/history:"A skinny 18-mile-long island halfway down France’s west coast, Ile de Ré was originally four islands, until silt and man-made salt flats united them. It has been quarreled over numerous times since. Settled by the Romans, it was home to Cistercian monks in the Middle Ages—the skeleton of their Abbaye des Châteliers still survives. The island was passed back and forth between the French and the English from the 12th to the 14th centuries."

This writer also shared: "Our days began with a walk to the town square’s boulangerie, whose superlative pains au chocolat and tartes aux fruits earned it lines out the door. Next came a trawl of the market stalls. We crossed the town’s wide moat and formidable stone walls, built in the shape of a star by Louis XIV’s foremost military engineer, Vauban, to defend it from the Protestants and the English."

Doesn't this all sound wonderful . . . and exciting? Really looking forward to this stop and love these insights from Jeff and 57 varieties.

Full Wall Street Journal story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/my-summer-vacation-is-better-than-yours-4-enviable-destinations-1496330978

Keep it coming!! Love to hear more great ideas, experiences, etc.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

Terry, don't over plan for your visit there. Wear your shorts and some flip flops and wander. I suggest the place I did for lunch based on the other places you like to lunch at that you have posted in the past ie not too rustic, elegant and up market but not over the top - and I think it's right up your street. But just don't over research and plan that day. Soak it's laid back feel. Think like a frog.

Wifey is "up to town" on Wednesday to have her hair done following toothgate thwarting and cancelling our visit planned for a week or two back. So it is me for lunch solo. I don't do the station run so I can abuse myself with alcohol over lunch. So what shall I order for myself on Wednesday.

Terry, after your winery tours, take time to roam the little Paris that is the town of Bordeaux. We found a great wine shop, L'Intendent, with reasonable prices. Nearby, we also found a chocolatier with the most divine confections. I regret not buying the all chocolate high heel shoes, beautifully crafted and ornamented...you'd swear they were real! DH sent photos to our granddaughters, since we thought shoes would not survive in our cramped suitcases. We did buy boxes of traditional chocolates. The shop's name is Cadiot-Badie. Enjoy Bordeaux!

Terry, don't over plan for your visit there. Wear your shorts and some flip flops and wander. I suggest the place I did for lunch based on the other places you like to lunch at that you have posted in the past ie not too rustic, elegant and up market but not over the top - and I think it's right up your street. But just don't over research and plan that day. Soak it's laid back feel. Think like a frog.

Love these great suggestions and thoughts from Jeff for Ile de Ré. Yes, agree for here and some other locations during this trip, we want to apply that "laid-back" style and approach for just walking around and soaking up the great atmosphere and spectacular settings. Some stops, such as Bordeaux the city, are, however, more "intense".

BUT, Jeff suggests "Think like a frog." Not sure on that one??!! Don't frog have virtually no brains? Tell me more as to that meaning for accomplishing that frog-like approach?

UK PM & Election??: Still wanting to hear Jeff's revised insights and analysis for what happens with the upcoming elections there.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!! Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 68,511 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

'Frog' English slang for frenchman[emoji6]

Frog is the affectionate European term for the French and in return they call us le rosbif.

Appreciate these great follow-ups to help in my "education" of France versus the UK. Not sure all in France view the term of "frog" as "affectionate".

Did look up the term "le rosbif" and find out that it means "roast beef". Not sure that is all and always good and wonderful. BUT, the long, LONG history of England versus France is especially unique and challenged, like riding a roller coaster!! BUT, for the American Revolution in the 1700's, that French help was much appreciated versus King George III. Love the twisted history!! Looking forward to learning more and seeing unclose more chapters of these unique parts of Europe's past glories and battles.

THANKS for Jeff and 57 varieties for the many smart details! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For Athens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 17,075 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Hi All......

Lots of action here today!

Spins.....ditto, I too have been having a clear out today and finding all sorts of stuff including my late parents wedding photo cutting from the local newspaper in 1951.

I guessed you would be flying in the same day but we will for sure catch up on board...😄

Shots....glad Socks is doing well...sounds like a real character!

Terry....close friends have just disembarked the Spirit and reports are excellent in every way...the death by chocolate event on the pool deck one evening being the usual great fun. The Bar on deck five is a popular pre dinner venue with live music for dancing.......whilst in the Panorama one can enjoy the pianist inside or the sunset outside before dinner with the resident DJ livening the place up at 11pm...💃

The menu in La T changes every three nights so you won't be bored and if they have the Wild Boar Stew on offer l can highly recommend! The main restaurant has a lovely ambience.....remember to ask for the always available menu here as well as the regular one as it offers some nice simple alternatives.

Loving that cake Jeffers......I'd pre prep something for Wednesday...giving you more drinking time 😉

Happy Weekend

S ☺️

Hi All...... Lots of action here today!

Terry....close friends have just disembarked the Spirit and reports are excellent in every way...the death by chocolate event on the pool deck one evening being the usual great fun. The Bar on deck five is a popular pre dinner venue with live music for dancing.......whilst in the Panorama one can enjoy the pianist inside or the sunset outside before dinner with the resident DJ livening the place up at 11pm...💃 The menu in La T changes every three nights so you won't be bored and if they have the Wild Boar Stew on offer l can highly recommend! The main restaurant has a lovely ambience.....remember to ask for the always available menu here as well as the regular one as it offers some nice simple alternatives.

Happy Weekend S ☺️

WOW!! Appreciate so much these great comments, details and follow-ups from Miss Sophia about the Silver Spirit. This is really building the "excitement" sky high. Such a wonderful range of tips and ideas. Keep it coming!! Any other excellent tips to share, updates on the current staff, food, drink, special locations on this ship, etc.? Love getting this very current info and insights.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 180,899 views for this posting.

All unclear at the moment. Seems like three or more seperate incidents at Borough Market where their were stabbings, and what might be a police shooting response. A van mowing down people on London Bridge with what may be several men jumping out the back of the van and stabbing random people, and a third incident a small distance away at Vauxhall. All hazy at the moment, but horrible.

Police response was it seems within two minutes or so, and I hope that the police despatched the scumbags that caused this.

Terrible. I was born and bought up in London and spent all my kid times and teenage years in Barbican and I hate the scum that bloodies our streets. Irrational I know but I feel that I own London and London owns me. Wifey feels exactly the same. We married in London, lived in London and had kids in London and it hurts to see London bleed.

We don't know yet who did this, but too often it seems that they are the children of those that sought sanctuary and protection of Great Britain and it isn't acceptable. The communities that own these people must own this problem.

Scores of people being marched away from harm with their hands on their heads.

Thankfully, no deaths reported yet and we must keep our fingers crossed.

Police now saying "more than one fatality".

Just got done reading stories from the Times, Telegraph and Daily Mail. Really bad and sad. One headline says seven are dead. Other stories are somewhat incomplete for the details.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 51,173 views for these postings.

Good morning.......Sophia mentioned this thread to me and said to come say hello.....wanting to send my heartfelt

condolences and best wishes to the victims and their families and all others too.

Jeff, If I could give you real hug, I would (((((((hug))))))))........the horrific events of last night just make me so mad:mad: and

sad:(............

I saw the same thing....7 dead and 48 injured..........when will it ever stop?:(

Good afternoon Coolers, on the day after the night before. Thanks Camels, Lois and Terry and spins for the words. London is a robust place and the healing starts. So many stories of heroism and people placing themselves in harms way to help others. I am so proud of our police. And the police responded absolutely magnificently. One British Transport policeman evidently confronted the three knife wielding scumbags and is now in hospital. A real hero. Hopefully he and the fifity or so others, many in critical condistions will pull through and return speedilly to their families. Tomight we remember Manchester, whilst we think of London. Sadly, we all need to brace ourselves for this being the start of a much worst time for all of us everywhere. It will get worst, sadly much worst.

On a much lighter note, may I welcome Lois to our membership. She is a charter member with a long-term service medal of 47,700 unblemished posts. So on behalf of the membership committee may I welcome her to the Cooler and invite her to choose her seat at the bar, simply place your name on a stool that looks comfy and call it yours for as long as you want it. There is lots to discuss here. Dogs and cats, newly acquired and getting old and what we "do" to them to improve there lives ... poor things. Some of them are apparently "nutless city limits" .....

There is talk of cake and travels and cakes that travel, and food, and cameras and how to take and not take pictures and how to share them. There's talk of wine and beer and places and talk of as close to nothing at all as we can inventively construct. Nothing off-limits, only the way we express our views and our manners being important.

So let us all raise our glass and welcome the lovely Lois on joining us. (I hope it is a lady otherwise I will look extremely odd .:D)

b4e9bd998e2d5763598c69d885301684dc94ec0c.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff