Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Spins, I share your feelings... Lack of accountability, and the uncertainty that accountability will ever be expected and enforced... Dangerous times... Families are having a hard time explaining why the country is not keeping to the standards that they are expecting the young ones to keep...

What a difference a day makes ...

Yesterday the British team was knocked out of the America's Cup, Theresa May caused the UK to be knocked into chaos, Comey gave his unsettling testimony, and our own Premier called an election to avoid a vote of no confidence. I know Bermuda's a bit unimportant but the result does matter to me, and could impact our cruise visitors.

Almost too nervous to read the news these days! Need another cruise.

Good afternoon all ... yes we all seem hemmed in by what feels like an oppressive atmosphere. Jolly, hope the Bermuda situation ends well .... and take Spins advice and have a lovely full day immersed in Ostia Antica. I'd love to go back- it's timeless atmosphere I think washes the cares away. Safe travels Terry.

I was puzzled to read the Trump response to Comey overnight and I am completely bemused by the idea that his incredible testimony was validation of Trump. Anyone who understands these things able to say where this will end? I guess it might depend on whether it is felt that Trump directed Comey and "interfered".

Our UK political background has possibly changed for good. Yesterday might have been decided by young voters who have not previously been a group who have been known to engage and vote. They have now tasted their power and who knows how this may influence who our next and subsequent governments will be.

Today I cooked her three bream fillets with a lemon butter sauce with charlottes and peas.

9c99e0b334f8f996c07c9a410191242a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jeff,

Beautiful plate and artistic balance.

Camillus

Not sure I know how to explain anything at this point. Worse yet to feel, like I do at the moment, like so much flotsam and jetsam, floating along like the seaweed in the Sargasso Sea.

Si quis custos fraudem pupillo fecerit, a tutela removendus est.

Cool itinerary jollyjones. You might see some ice in Prins Christian Sund but probably not at your other stop. The southern towns in Greenland are mostly rocky with bog grass on the outskirts. We've been to Nanortolik and Quaqortoq on cruise ships. You should hopefully see some nice bergs though.

Nanortolik area:

acc36db454e218e8021031bff1ced47f.jpg

e074a0635f7c0ad98b213dc263339742.jpg

The Sund:

14b54d5f023336210daf1516969e73a0.jpg

45c318d3d9f2ffbeb94eeac5212667fb.jpg

Did you notice that MLeh (a few posts ago) is with you? Have a great trip!

PS. You may be amused to hear that my phone wants to autocorrect "jollyjones" to "millions" which would be cool if that worked...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Good afternoon all ... yes we all seem hemmed in by what feels like an oppressive atmosphere. Jolly, hope the Bermuda situation ends well .... and take Spins advice and have a lovely full day immersed in Ostia Antica. I'd love to go back- it's timeless atmosphere I think washes the cares away. Safe travels Terry.

I was puzzled to read the Trump response to Comey overnight and I am completely bemused by the idea that his incredible testimony was validation of Trump. Anyone who understands these things able to say where this will end? I guess it might depend on whether it is felt that Trump directed Comey and "interfered".

Our UK political background has possibly changed for good. Yesterday might have been decided by young voters who have not previously been a group who have been known to engage and vote. They have now tasted their power and who knows how this may influence who our next and subsequent governments will be.

Today I cooked her three bream fillets with a lemon butter sauce with charlottes and peas.

9c99e0b334f8f996c07c9a410191242a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Jeff, 1st, your food photo looks delicious:D.........I love fish.

And as for Trump's response and you being bemused? NOTHING he does surprises me anymore and I would not

say bemused but what I would say would be banned from here.......He seems to think he can do anything/say anything/

tweet anything:rolleyes:.......and he seems to think he is never wrong. This is only JUNE......remember, he only took office

in January.........I seriously don't know what is going to happen this year, next year, the following year.........:eek:

And now on to a cruise question:D..........when does SilverSea usually mail out cruise documents and how are the towels

in the cabin? Nice and fluffy?

Camillus, thanks:)

And now on to a cruise question:D..........when does SilverSea usually mail out cruise documents and how are the towels in the cabin? Nice and fluffy?

Appreciate the tasty and wonderful food picture from Jeff!! Any more insights and analysis regarding PM Theresa May forming her new coalition and how long she can last in power within her party.

For Lois, I will do some high-level "Official Towel Research" for you. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do this kind of "work"!! We got our Silver Box from Silversea about 45-50 days prior to our cruise. Keep thinking of more good questions and areas for my Silver Spirit research starting June 14.

At the Philadelphia airport now getting ready to board our American Airlines flight to Lisbon. Was able during our lay-over time here in the City of Brotherly Love to get together with Mark and Chis that we enjoyed being with during our early 2015 Amazon River cruise on the Silver Cloud.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,291 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry, thanks so much:)....so since I sail on August 9th the paperwork should come late this month or sometime

in July:D

Hope you have a very UNeventful flight:)........I am flying AA on my trip too........I took the special and upgraded to

Business Class:D

Terry, your TA must be faster than ours. ;)

A few food pics from the past week.

Ginger-honey chicken with lime. Marinated with balsamic, honey, fresh ginger, garam masala, coriander, etc. Then sprinkled with lime zest and a little sugar and baked until crispy. Went great with a full-bodied Riesling.

c89a7fa3ae2f3f15225a6a92d72e16d8.jpg

An old standby. Floured veal cutlets in a creamy tomato sauce, with rustic pasta. A lightly-oaked chardonnay was the pairing here.

95b9296c000583fca29cc7a163d13d41.jpg

Last night was tuna steak seared and served with a caper, butter, mustard, and scallion sauce. Kind of like steak Diane, minus the beef and without flaming any liquor. A dry pinot noir rosé hit the spot with this.

192f758dfef1ff0750421e3e50876a11.jpg

No cooking tomorrow, except for a nice Kaiserschmarrm for breakfast.

Hi Terry,

In answer to your question TM has managed to lose the trust and confidence of virtually all of her parliamentary colleagues.

She imposed on them a general election, without any consultation and having told the country she wouldn't do so. There was no consultation on her dire manifesto. She then managed to turn a healthy majority into a hung Parliament alienated her core voters reduced our prestige in Europe prior to Brexit negotiations, made Jeremy Corbyn look competent, and made the government reliant on UDP who she now has to bribe. None of this was necessary. It was hubris. She will not be allowed to lead the party through the next general election. I bet she wishes she consulted and listened more and couldmturn the clock back.

What I most fear is your prediction where Boris replaces May. If this happens then the most likelihood imho is that with increasing younger voters and decreasing older voters, with an extremely bumpy brexit, then Jeremy Corbyn will be our next PM.

Now that's my kind of lunch hour! Sounds like our plans tomorrow...arrive in Saratoga a little before noon and wander a bit before having a late lunch at 2. Then hit the local brewery, then the wine bar, and whatever else we discover before dinner at 9ish.

It has been too long since we've been to London, so it's going to happen soon. We just may meet up.

G'Day Coolers........

Someone said to me yesterday....Mrs May won but lost and Jeremy Corbyn lost but won....agree with everything Jeff has said.........total mess..all of her own doing.

Agree with Lois about Trump.....I can't bear to look at the man.

Anyway......back at the ranch, yesterday turned into a long day here with visitors calling off the cuff during which time a few bottles of red were sunk whilst sat in the garden...rather a nice interlude 🍷maybe we drowned our sorrows!

Terry.....so sad to hear that you lost Roxie....it's terribly hard when we lose our faithful friends......safe travels to Lisbon and Bon Voyage.

Captain Mino is so lovely, you'll normally see him at the pool bar around noon quite willing to have a chat.

Don't miss Moss's one man show!

Fish looking good Jeff........Lois, ships towels are lovely and fluffy and plenty of them in all sizes.

Jolly......hope all turns out well in Bermuda....one of my most favourite places where I've spent many a happy hour particularly in the old days at the Forty Thieves!

Off into Chester today with the family....

Happy Day

S😊

....and made the government reliant on UDP who she now has to bribe....

Which, in my view, is just about the worst thing about the whole sorry tale. The DUP is just about the most bigoted, backward-looking, fetid group of wastrels whose platform rests on a kind of entitlement they feel they own by birthright. As the rest of Ireland moves forward, becomes increasingly tolerant and accepting, we have this purulent boil on Britain's back that wallows in its self-imposed victim status and deep and blatant hatred under a veneer of Protestant piety.

That TM feels she has to align with the DUP demonstrates more clearly than anything the bankruptcy of her tenure.

Which, in my view, is just about the worst thing about the whole sorry tale. The DUP is just about the most bigoted, backward-looking, fetid group of wastrels whose platform rests on a kind of entitlement they feel they own by birthright. As the rest of Ireland moves forward, becomes increasingly tolerant and accepting, we have this purulent boil on Britain's back that wallows in its self-imposed victim status and deep and blatant hatred under a veneer of Protestant piety.

That TM feels she has to align with the DUP demonstrates more clearly than anything the bankruptcy of her tenure.

The terrifying truth is that they can demand from her anything they want because in a motion of "no confidence" in The House the government then require their votes and support which decides whether an immediate and automatic general election is called. She has to do whatever they say or risk having to go to the country again. The only good thing is that the DUP hate labour as much as they hate their opponents.

If this all wasn't so unexpected and there being no natural replacement for her then she would have had to resign yesterday. She very clearly demanded a personal mandate from the country in a sort of Trumpish pledge of loyalty for herself and the country replied "no".

It seems to me that the potential consequences of this is to also place in some doubt a genuine Brexit.

"I didn't say that," Trump said of Comey's assertion that Trump said he "hoped" Comey would "let go" of the Flynn investigation during a February meeting. "Well, I didn't say that. I will tell you I didn't say that. And there'd be nothing wrong with it if I did say that, according to everybody that I read today, but I did not say that."

Jeff

Good Morning Everyone,

This is the first time that I'm dipping my toe into "Cooler Water", so be gentle with me! Unfortunately I don't have anything to say about American politics as it's too horrifying to comment on. This is the first time in my entire life that I've been embarassed about the direction my country is going. (ok, I said stuff....haha!)

Anyway, John and I did our first SS cruise in May and we couldn't have been happier. We're now considering a TA on the Spirit in Sept and/or possibly the June 3rd cruise on the Spirit as well. My question is(finally) Is there a different vibe on a TA? We quite enjoyed the passengers on our most recent cruise aboard the Spirit.Very friendly, open and just fun to be around. I've read some horror stories about other TA's were they were extremely clique-ie. As somewhat "newbies" this could be a concern. What is the general opinion on TA's?