Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Hello Coolers ........

A very warm welcome to Lois......so pleased to have you join us where the wine flows freely 😉

My heart goes out to those involved in last nights horrific attack in London......just devastating. I pray Manchester will be safe tonight for the One Love concert.

S ☺️

Hi Sophia, thanks:)..........this says part 3 so I guess most of you have been chatting for a long, long time.:)

There will be a three hour written test .... a pass mark of 1% or above will be fine .......

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1894360

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2249318

Hi Sophia, thanks:)..........this says part 3 so I guess most of you have been chatting for a long, long time.:)

Oh we have Lois....Jeff started the thread off a while back and it's just a lovely place to pop along for a chat about anything and everything......😀

There will be a three hour written test .... a pass mark of 1% or above will be fine .......

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1894360

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2249318

Too funny:D.........the original one goes back to 2013:eek:...........I already say I passed:D LOL......I am not going back to read

all of those postings;p

Hi Lois! Yes there has been a lot of chatter here for the past few years. I was a little late to the party, being neither a charter Cooler nor a CC charter member, but despite that the Cooler has been a very welcoming place.

Not sure what to say about last night's London events other than the usual expressions of regret which unfortunately don't do much. I tend to agree with Jeff that this is seemingly the new normal and I am not too hopeful for any kind of fix. It's not even shocking any more, sadly to say.

On that note, an anecdote from Copenhagen. We flew home Monday morning and as we always do, we hopped the public transport train from our hotel to the airport. One stop short of the airport, the two people who were seated across from us exited the train. One was a youngish (late teens-20s) girl whose dress suggested her religion. A duffle bag was left in the aisle, beside their seat...neither of the passengers stopped to pick it up

What would you think?

Yeah, my radar went off. We left our seats and stood by the exit for the rest of the trip. The bag was a few feet from our seat.

Nothing will protect you from every possible event but I wasn't taking my chances with that scenario. Obviously nothing happened, so it must have been someone else's bag. Be safe all.

We are just getting our pictures organized from Prague et al so I will be posting about that in a few days - hopefully. We had a lovely time but with three new cities in nine days, we ran ourselves ragged. We got home Monday night and went straight to work Tuesday, and I've been working this weekend too. Lots to share with you when I have time.

Some of those posts were real fun Lois.

It might be hard to believe but in 2013, people seemed to need a lot of courage to make their first CC post. There was a feeling that some posters were too keen to be nasty and unwelcoming, often hunting in self-supporting packs, and much of it was directed to individual posters. So I thought there should be a place where there was a safe place for people to congregate where people that mean harm are unwelcome. It has been much better and safer than I dared hope. Some of it is cruise related, more is travel related some has been really interesting and a lot trivial. And no one amongst those that wish to be grumpy and have off-topic stuff by people they don't like deleted can touch us!

I really hope it continues and prospers and more like minded intelligencia of the idling mind join in.

Lois, do read back if you are inclined ... they are fun. :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

London Today

Purposely went into the West End Today for a pre arranged Lunch at The Ivy, clearly so did everyone else that was booked, it was full, as ever. Afterwards a stroll through Piccadilly Circus and down Jermyn Street to Fortnums and on past The Ritz to Green Park. A beautiful sunny day to be in this wonderful city where we will NOT be defeated .

Good morning.......Sophia mentioned this thread to me and said to come say hello....

Nothing will protect you from every possible event but I wasn't taking my chances with that scenario. Obviously nothing happened, so it must have been someone else's bag. Be safe all. We are just getting our pictures organized from Prague et al so I will be posting about that in a few days - hopefully. We had a lovely time but with three new cities in nine days, we ran ourselves ragged. We got home Monday night and went straight to work Tuesday, and I've been working this weekend too. Lots to share with you when I have time..

Super welcome to Lois. Join right in and don't be shy!! We love visuals, plus other smart, insightful experiences and thoughts. Remind me on your upcoming first Silversea cruise!! Which SS ship and routing?

YES, looking forward to the pictures and details from JP and Chris. Lots to love, see and do in all three of those cities. Understand why you were so busy there. Fascinating experience on the train to the airport with that bag. Glad it all worked out OK. Need to be alert and watching for what is happening around you when traveling in new and/or different areas.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

For our overseas Coolers unable to watch the concert on TV .... we are listening to the concert at Manchester ..... and it's wonderful that they are giving all this new blood a chance at the big time. A new chap just playing his guitar and singing out of tune named Justine Bibba.

A couple of nimble girls on earlier called Piano Grande and Smiley Oyey Virus who sounded like a couple of chickens being chased around the yard, before being caught and strangled. Piano Grande can do with a couple of Big Macs as she looks a bit like a nymphetic Wendy a la Peter Pan. We've had a lady completely painted in white called Kate Perry who appears to have a highly tattooed back.

If a strangulated hernia could find it's voice and make a cry for help then tonight it found it's voice in a Imogen Sheep, a lady who was so depressed that even the band was moved to absolute open mouthed motionless behind her.

The highlight so far has been the famous tax-avoiders "Take That" who looked extremely nervous to be there ...... Robbie Williams .. who at some point was younger than me but now seems older .... we must have been the same age at a point in time .... BUT the very Lovely Stevie Wonder who gave us far too few bars of a little song "Love's in Need of Love Today" (perhaps "Living just enough for the City" would have been nicer ....) acompanied by his little organ.

And lot's of American voices telling us how brave we all are. They all evidently "Stand With Manchester". :)

And now Ladies and Gentleman ....."Cold Play" ! with "don't look back in anger ...."

And now we have an extremely angry looking man called Liam Gallagher who is hiding behind him and occasionally waving a half tambourine for a few seconds and is shouting something in orange.

He looks like he has just been released from Guantanamo Bay. He is now taking out his anger and depression on a pair of harmless maracas.

Hi Terry, I am sailing in August on the Spirit from Barcelona to Rome:)

Great news, Lois!! I had kind of re-called that you were going to be on the Silver Spirit. Glad to get it confirmed and know for sure. Hope you follow along with my live/blog that will start around June 14 or 15 as we do our first sailing on Silver Spirit. This will be after our first four cruises with Silversea being on the Silver Cloud. Let me know any questions or info needs for this ship. Or, picture requests?? Happy to share!

You are on a great cruise with its many and varied stops in the Med. Assume you have been to Barcelona, Florence/Tuscany, Rome, etc., previously, right?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,084 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For our overseas Coolers unable to watch the concert on TV .... we are listening to the concert at Manchester ..... and it's wonderful that they are giving all this new blood a chance at the big time. A new chap just playing his guitar and singing out of tune named Justine Bibba.

A couple of nimble girls on earlier called Piano Grande and Smiley Oyey Virus who sounded like a couple of chickens being chased around the yard, before being caught and strangled. Piano Grande can do with a couple of Big Macs as she looks a bit like a nymphetic Wendy a la Peter Pan. We've had a lady completely painted in white called Kate Perry who appears to have a highly tattooed back.

If a strangulated hernia could find it's voice and make a cry for help then tonight it found it's voice in a Imogen Sheep, a lady who was so depressed that even the band was moved to absolute open mouthed motionless behind her.

The highlight so far has been the famous tax-avoiders "Take That" who looked extremely nervous to be there ...... Robbie Williams .. who at some point was younger than me but now seems older .... we must have been the same age at a point in time .... BUT the very Lovely Stevie Wonder who gave us far too few bars of a little song "Love's in Need of Love Today" (perhaps "Living just enough for the City" would have been nicer ....) acompanied by his little organ.

And lot's of American voices telling us how brave we all are. They all evidently "Stand With Manchester". :)

And now Ladies and Gentleman ....."Cold Play" ! with "don't look back in anger ...."

Jeff, I watched in ON LINE..........:).......I cried......and I stand with you too. And her finale was quite amazing..........

Great news, Lois!! I had kind of re-called that you were going to be on the Silver Spirit. Glad to get it confirmed and know for sure. Hope you follow along with my live/blog that will start around June 14 or 15 as we do our first sailing on Silver Spirit. This will be after our first four cruises with Silversea being on the Silver Cloud. Let me know any questions or info needs for this ship. Or, picture requests?? Happy to share!

You are on a great cruise with its many and varied stops in the Med. Assume you have been to Barcelona, Florence/Tuscany, Rome, etc., previously, right?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 225,084 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Terry:)

It must be my ears. I didn't understand any of it. Did you?

What do you mean? The songs............I knew "some of them" but no, not all of them......but I wanted to see it anyway,

I know you understood the Finale..................Somewhere Over The Rainbow.....it was wonderful.

Don't feel bad, Jeff. Roberto and I watch many British series over Netflix and we always have English subtitles on! Of course, English is our second language... and we would've probably had subtitles on if we would had watched a screaming concert!!

I knew the words, it was the monologue before, I didn't understand any of what she said.

Also, we all understand many of the "I stand with Manchester" were recorded, but London could have been mentioned during the live tributes I felt.

The Black Eye Peas looked like The Smurfs!

All in all, a worthwhile idea and very moving sentimentally.

Jeff, I thought about that too......her Manager mentioned London at the beginning but I do agree, they could have said a few

other things.....but overall, it was quite well done.

Don't feel bad, Jeff. Roberto and I watch many British series over Netflix and we always have English subtitles on! Of course, English is our second language... and we would've probably had subtitles on if we would had watched a screaming concert!!

Camels,

There's been a real issue in the UK recently with mumbling on broadcasts with many people complaining. We routinely have subtitles on English BBC stuff.

Jeff, I thought about that too......her Manager mentioned London at the beginning but I do agree, they could have said a few

other things.....but overall, it was quite well done.

I can't recall any of the performers in their little speeches mentioning London.

I was really releived it went off without any dramas and everyone went home safely.

Read that many people actively resisted the attackers as best they could using chairs, bottles or whatever.

Pretty amazing heroism. I am not sure that is the proper word for courageous in the face of extreme danger.

Without weapons, those resisters used what they had available.

Sadly and tragically many did not even have the chance to resist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Read that many people actively resisted the attackers as best they could using chairs, bottles or whatever.

Pretty amazing heroism. I am not sure that is the proper word for courageous in the face of extreme danger.

Without weapons, those resisters used what they had available.

Sadly and tragically many did not even have the chance to resist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The whole thing was amazing when you hear some of the details.

The police clearly have a very well rehearsed procedure which I've thought about quite since a lot of the phone film and stuff. The police didn't know where all these guys were so police entered each bar and restaurant and told all people to hit the ground and lay flat which I've been thinking about.

My presumption is that they knew that the armed response using automatic weapons would be touring around looking and giving attention to anyone standing or running around and so hitting the deck meant armed response could fire whilst minimising risk to innocent people laying flat on the ground.

It is quite unbelievable that from the police first getting the call to the third person killed was less than eight minutes.

There is a lot we have to do now in the UK, but a lot of the changes will be sensible changes that are long called for.