Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Thanks Terry, and it turns out that it was a power surge in the UK data center that has nothing whatsover to do with the outsourcing to Tata in India. In fact all the people in the UK data centers who belong to a union are GMB members.

Nice pasta dish photo and added background by Jeff. Wanted a couple of "news" updates from Jeff. First, are things more calm and somewhat settled now with the British Airways IT mess? Is BA now going to pay all claims for finance re-embursements during these delays? Any new tangles and/or twists for this complicated story?

Second, saw some reports that seemed to indicate that things are tightening for PM Theresa May. The June 8 election is getting close, right? There was the Times headline of "Pollsters predict shock Tory crash". Another headline from the Independent predicts a "hung Parliament". What's really happening and your smart analysis/prediction?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 180,849 views for this posting.

Yup.

I made it for sons birthday this weekend.

We had a barbeque...lots of cold rose with strawberries, fresh spinach and yogurt soup, turkey burgers, chicken, roasted peppers, marinated pork loin, and that cake accompanied by a creme anglaise sauce spiked with rum from Martinique.

Nice pasta dish photo and added background by Jeff. Wanted a couple of "news" updates from Jeff. First, are things more calm and somewhat settled now with the British Airways IT mess? Is BA now going to pay all claims for finance re-embursements during these delays? Any new tangles and/or twists for this complicated story?

Second, saw some reports that seemed to indicate that things are tightening for PM Theresa May. The June 8 election is getting close, right? There was the Times headline of "Pollsters predict shock Tory crash". Another headline from the Independent predicts a "hung Parliament". What's really happening and your smart analysis/prediction?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 180,849 views for this posting.

Hi Terry,

BA's first reaction was to tell customers that this issue was not within it's control. They implied that it was a power network surge and that the rollback plan broke. This was an attempt to circumnavigate the responsibilities laid down by EU261. However this broke on many fronts. Firstly the power company's confirmed there were no issues with power on Saturday with that area. This means that the surge must have come from BA's UPS systems. Secondly if the EU has already made it clear that an unexpected technical breakdown of a plane does not allow avoidance of EU261 then it seems to me that because BA didn't have robust IT systems that this also doesn't constitute issues outside of their control. This was a silly un-thought out posture and has further damaged BAs reputation. It is going to cost a heap of business. FWIW, when I worked for "The Corporation" I was sellling mirror-image rollback for Big Blue customers based in a semi-secret location that had mirror image suites, more than a 747 wing-tips distance from each other, (so that if a jumbo landed on one - the other would continue) with oil storage built into hills obscuring the site and as back up to two connections to two different parts of the power national grid, and two different telephone exchanges. We would ask customers to kill their systems periodically to test the speed of roll back. This was 30 years ago ..... BA is and was a Big Blue customer who hasn't invested in robust roll-back.

The consequennce of their first stand was that they stated that anyone who made there own arrangements to travel that they wouldn't reimburse. But a part of EU261 is a mandate that airlines must make alternative travel arrangements for customers if they can. But with 75,000 customers involved it seems obvious that customers should try and sort their travel themselves. Secondly they announced that this doesn;t fall under EU261 and that they would not pay compensation. It would have been obvious to any savvy BA directors that these positions could never be sustained and I predict that over the next few days they will retreat. That is however after considerable damage would have been cause to their reputation and trust. I think that Will Walsh would be an idiot if he left Crus at the helm after his terrible performance over the last few days. Willy Walsh would have doen things differently and anyone that "knows" knows this. Today he offered full support for Cruz. Let's see.

My potted summary and personal opinion.

Yup.

I made it for sons birthday this weekend.

We had a barbeque...lots of cold rose with strawberries, fresh spinach and yogurt soup, turkey burgers, chicken, roasted peppers, marinated pork loin, and that cake accompanied by a creme anglaise sauce spiked with rum from Martinique.

Spins, I hate to be horrible, but I hate that you made a cake that is so good, because I am nowhere near as good as you and I cannot therefore eat it. So upset was I, I just tried to order from Hotel Sacher - I've done it before - but there's a problem with their site. So I couldn't. I have had to order from somewhere else.

:D

It's a very easy cake to make, but artery clogging.

The glaze also easy.

The anglaise takes watching and constant stirring.

I didn't even have a taste of rum for the cook, but very tempting.

If I could send you one, I would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I will be on BA in September...to LHR and then to Athens.

Sophia, perhaps will will meet on the flight or in the terminal...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That would be wonderful.....flying in the day before embarkation....lunch time flight l think.

Friends flew BA today and report all went well and on time.

Spins...that cake looks so delish....clever lady! How's Eloise doing?

Welcome back to JP, Chris and Shots, sorry you haven't been well.

It's been a lovely warm day so I've pottered about in the garden yet again with furry baby.

S😊

Evening coolers.

Starting to feel better here. Still no cooking. Just too exhausted at the end of the day.

Cake looked amazing. Chocolate sounds so good right now, but I know it would make me stuffy. Hoping I have the energy to return to cooking this weekend.

In the meantime, we adopted another stray cat that wandered into our backyard. He is a sweetheart. The vet cleared him and he gets "fixed" tomorrow. Poor guy.... but we have no choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Coolers 😃

Shots....hope puss is ok....took me three attempts to take my furry fella in to get him chopped as l was so scared for him but these things have to be done....and in my case for the best in many ways.

Jeffers, will you send me the links as to where you order your cakes from please....l do a lot of on line festive shopping and usually with Formans but would be nice send something different to folk this year....have got to be organised as l don't arrive back home from the Indian cruise until three days before xmas...😳

Interesting thread on SS air travel....that would drive me nuts.....!

No desk top here anymore...l love my iPad and now my new iPhone.....only problem being printing but my TA helps out with that.

Kindle is brilliant and so much easier than hauling heavy books about on ones travels. Am well into biography and currently reading about the Marcos dynasty.....quite an eye opener even though l only wanted to know about Imeldas 3000 pair of shoes....😉

I'm still in spice mood so it's hot chicken curry for luncheon with plenty of indigestion cures on the side...😝

Happy Day

S😊

Hi Soapy,

There's a lot of tourist related friendly banter in Vienna about Sachertorte and which is best. Before we installed ourselves in the Intercontinental we use to stay in Mrs Sacher's appartments overlooking Stephansplatz and were treated to Grandaughter of Mr Sacher's account.

You can buy Sachertorte from the Sacher Hotel and most go to that. The apricot filling is in the middle of the cake. Demel put it under the top choccy layer and we prefer Demel. I ordered yesterday and the FedEx ticket says it will be here tommorow. I'm not certain whether I ordered 6 or one cake ..... and to be honest I don't care. I'm going to eat it all. This is against all Vienna biblical teachings but order one of those squirty cream aerosols and squirt some of that on. That is what they do in Vienna except the squirt thing is a silver thing.

Don't wait for any festivities. Order yourself one now.

http://www.demel.at/en/frames/index_shop_gesamtuebersicht.htm

This is what I ordered.

1 x Demel's Sachertorte 6 in Box 42.80 EUR

Sub-Total: 42.80 EUR FedEx Express Europe (1 x 1.8 kg) (FedEx):

22.00 EUR incl.

UST 10%: 3.89 EUR

Total: 64.80 EUR

Proscuito and tomato and sea salt sandwiches with Bredon Champers was today's lunch.

46e53188a789e14e3d83e552905367ff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by UKCruiseJeff