Ft. Lauderdale flight question

mnolan770

I haven't flown out of FLL in the past 5 or 6 years. We have driven from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale the past few cruises.

We are booked in a concierge class cabin on Silhouette. We are Global Entry trusted travelers which also includes TSA Pre check. And we typically walk off with our luggage.

Is there any reason I should not book a 10:30am flight out of FLL?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

When we returned to FL recently, the longest holdup was Customs. Several ships were in port, and we were allotted only two Customs officers to screen over 2000 pax. It took us at least an hour to get through, with no priority line or other privileges. Perhaps you can find out how many other ships will be disembarking.

Apart from that, getting a taxi was easy, and going though airport security was the usual. We had booked an afternoon flight, and were glad we did.

We had a 10:35 flight out of FLL 6 weeks ago. There were 7 ships in port that day so I was a little leery, but we did walk off with our luggage and were waiting in line for a taxi by 8:30. We were at the airport in plenty of time. I realize that anything can happen and delay disembarkation, but we have had no problems.

If you walk off with your luggage in hand early, then that time should not be a problem. However, my experience has been that customs is real slow in Fort Lauderdale and we have waited in line for about an hour. Your itinerary is tight and keep your fingers crossed that there are no unexpected delays.

In 10 cruises we've been severely late to disembarkation port twice. Once when we lost 1/2 engine power off the coast of Roatan. We finally arrived to Tampa at 2 p.m. to disembark. The second time was when our ship literally turned back towards Puerto Rico to get within life-flight distance so a helicopter could transport a sick passenger to a hospital in San Juan. We arrived at 9:30 a.m. that time.

...it's something to think about. It's not always customs that causes you to be late off the ship.

Lots of reasons you can make a 10:30 flight, but just as many indicating that's risky and you may miss your flight.

There was a RCCL ship late getting into port a couple weeks back which no one planned for but definitely made it too late to catch a 10:30 flight.

We disembarked in FLL around 9:30 a few weeks ago with 7 ships in port. We were in a suite so were able to bypass the long line in the terminal heading to luggage. Got a porter who took us and our luggage to the Global Entry Line, which was virtually empty, out to a cab and we were on our way to the airport within 5-10 minutes. Best $10 I spent on the cruise. TSA Pre was also very fast for South West. Of course, our 2:30 flight was delayed an hour so we had a lot of time to kill, at least it was a non stop flight.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

I haven't flown out of FLL in the past 5 or 6 years. We have driven from Atlanta to Ft. Lauderdale the past few cruises.

We are booked in a concierge class cabin on Silhouette. We are Global Entry trusted travelers which also includes TSA Pre check. And we typically walk off with our luggage.

You will be fine.

Golly. It COULD work. But so many things can go wrong. I wouldn't book before 12.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've made 9:30 flights before. We're also TSA-pre. We just line up with your luggage and walk off ourselves. We get down there to line up at least 45 minutes ahead of when they say. If all goes well, 7:30 you'll be breezing through customs and ready to make that left hand turn for a cab.

Just don't do a shuttle or anything where you have to wait for other people. Just an individual cab.

If the ship docks on schedule no problem with the Global Entry. There is also a mobile app now for the Customs form which will speed things up too. If you Google "mobile customs app" there was an article in the WSJ back in June that has the links for both Apple and Android. I don't know if all terminals in FLL take the mobile customs app, but if they do you'll hear about it on the ship. Both saved time for us last month!

Just got off Harmony of the Seas last weekend. My son had an 11:50 flight. We said goodbye and he walked off with his own luggage at 8:00. He texted us from the United gate at 8:40. Took him 40 minutes total for customs, taxi, bag check, and TSA. He said Southwest was a zoo, but his United line was empty. The rest of my family was flying out late afternoon, so no rush. We left the ship at 10:15. Gathered luggage, hit the long line, and cleared customs at 11:15. Delta check in was reasonable, TSA was 20 minutes. At the gate just after noon, a little under 2 hours total for our large slow-moving group.

A 10:30 flight is fine with self debarkation (which easy nowadays with wheeled luggage), as long as the ship is not delayed. If the ship is delayed, all bets are off.

I just did this on Saturday (NYE) coming back from Reflection. We walked off, grabbed an Uber and were through TSA Precheck and at our gate by 8:30! And, the FLL terminal was packed with football fans headed home after bowl games, too.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 9:50 flight booked from FLL next month and I have zero concerns about making it. We were off Harmony (Thanksgiving week) back in November and was on the road in our rental car we picked-up at FLL by 8:30. This was without caring our own luggage off.

As long as the ship arrives as scheduled and disembarkation starts as scheduled, you should have no problem.

Right. "As long as ...". Agree. As long as ...

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We disembarked in FLL around 9:30 a few weeks ago with 7 ships in port. We were in a suite so were able to bypass the long line in the terminal heading to luggage. Got a porter who took us and our luggage to the Global Entry Line, which was virtually empty, out to a cab and we were on our way to the airport within 5-10 minutes. Best $10 I spent on the cruise. TSA Pre was also very fast for South West. Of course, our 2:30 flight was delayed an hour so we had a lot of time to kill, at least it was a non stop flight.

We haven't flown to a port in a number of news as well but next week we will be. This is great news to read about Port Everglades having the Global Entry Line! I didn't know that but it will help us out as well. We always get a porter to move us fast...well worth the money.

Edited by elapel01
Spelling error

Right. "As long as ...". Agree. As long as ...

- Joel

If you spent your life planning for everything that could go wrong you haven't lived.

54 cruises, never late. Have made 8:40 am flights out of FLL. The opp will be fine.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We broke every rule last month and booked at 9:30 am flight. We did self-disembark, hopped a cab and were at the gate in time for the earlier flight (about 8:30?). We could have gotten on that one had we not checked luggage.

Now I would NOT recommend this if you're not prepared to hang out at the gate for a long time should you miss your flight. Flights around 10 am are risky, but doable - especially if you have TSA PreCheck.