Norovirus on Riviera NOW???

Marthasbaby

My Wife and I are scheduled to sail on the Riviera on February 12th.

She had 6 feet of her small intestine removed 3 years ago. She is worried because of Riviera's history. Should we cancel?

Do not cancel

have you heard the ship has noro or just worried it may have people with noro in the future?

It is a personal decision only you can make

There has been NO REPORTS of any Noro on Riviera in months and no reason to think there will be any in the future. Go on your cruise. :):)

My Wife and I are scheduled to sail on the Riviera on February 12th.

She had 6 feet of her small intestine removed 3 years ago. She is worried because of Riviera's history. Should we cancel?

Almost every ship at sometime during the year has had NORO, including hotels on land,...

Seriously you need to ask your doctors advice on what limits you need to adhere to... maybe any cruising is out ( AMA)... as well as limits on travel.

Its a far larger question than just a ship

Almost every ship at sometime during the year has had NORO, including hotels on land,...

Seriously you need to ask your doctors advice on what limits you need to adhere to... maybe any cruising is out ( AMA)... as well as limits on travel.

Its a far larger question than just a ship

+1000

Also, at the end of the day, you need to enjoy peace of mind while you travel. If you're going to spend the entire cruise in a state of worry, you might be better off choosing an alternative.

There has been NO REPORTS of any Noro on Riviera in months and no reason to think there will be any in the future. Go on your cruise. :):)

I do not have an upcoming cruise

I am not the OP

not sure why you quoted my post :confused:

The Winter 2016 outbreak started with reports on the November 18, 2015 TA and at 9% was high enough to trigger a CDC report with 74 of 1,160 (6.38%) and crew 12 of 776 (1.55%).

There have been no reports here that I have seen so that is a good sign. I also checked the CC reviews section and there were none for the Nov TA, but there are no Dec reports. It is called something like "Winter Vomiting Sickness" so we are early for seeing cases. 2 CDC reports were filed recently by P&O on 10/16 and Holland on 11/3 (crew 2.8%!).

You probably won't know if there is a problem until late January or the Feb 2 cruise reports.

In 2016 the Feb 2 cruise reported 3% sick to the CDC and O delayed boarding to clean. The next cruise on Feb 12 went code red quickly with constant cleaning and dripping walls. They took all the railings apart to get every crevice. Noro got to 10.5% so CDC ended the cruise 2 days early. Seems 2 days cleaning was not enough as the March 20 cruise hit 9% and went full code red with every surface dripping with cleaner all day (per thepreismans.com). I guess my point is ... how can O not stop this stuff?

O does not have to report until it hits a certain CDC level, so they simply will not be upfront about it. Even when you are on the cruise the Captain's reports IMO are not giving close to the actual numbers. I would like to see a sticky thread here to report all O Noro cases and Code Reds.

I'm on the Feb 2 cruise and I'm going. If it goes Code Red that will be my last winter O for a few years. Maybe the ship or crew has a problem that makes it an ideal host, maybe its the passengers that arrive sick or will not cooperate, maybe its just bad luck for O. I really enjoy cruising O but Code Red is not the kind of cruise I want to be on again, it affects dining so much.

CDC https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

It there an award for the first frightening subject for a thread in 2017! :eek:

A provocative subject line sure gets people to read a post! :eek:

I wonder why OP booked the Riviera, given their concerns. So many other ships to choose from.

Edited by tgg

But Riviera hasn't been the only Oceania ship to be so affected.

Some recent posters are talking about avoiding winter cruises because of Noro history, but we had an outbreak on Marina in central America in April 2015 ... I wouldn't call that winter time.

However, I do agree that it's not only cruise ships that have experienced more Noro outbreaks in the past year or two, and if your physical condition is such that it could be dangerous for you ... maybe travel IS out of the cards. Only you can know.

Mura

But Riviera hasn't been the only Oceania ship to be so affected.

Some recent posters are talking about avoiding winter cruises because of Noro history, but we had an outbreak on Marina in central America in April 2015 ... I wouldn't call that winter time.

However, I do agree that it's not only cruise ships that have experienced more Noro outbreaks in the past year or two, and if your physical condition is such that it could be dangerous for you ... maybe travel IS out of the cards. Only you can know.

Mura

You bring up a good point about winter travel. We were recently on Regent's new ship and just about everyone had a cold and/or cough (thankfully no Noro or gastrointestinal issues). My DH had pneumonia after catching what he thought was a cold onboard. I was able to treat him with medications obtained by my doctor right before we left (interestingly, he was suppose to get a pneumonia shot before we left but couldn't take it because he just had a flu shot and needed to wait until we got back). Anyway, reports from the same ship indicate lots of coughs and colds during the Christmas cruise.

Noro and other viruses and bacterial infections can happen anytime but seem more prevalent from November through March. So far we have not changed our plans for 2017 in terms of cruising during those months but it does have our attention. Since we don't sail in the summer because school is out, if we avoid November - March, that would leave very little time to do anything.

Hope you have a happy and healthy New Year!

You can pick up Noro virus in a multitude of venues, anywhere there are people. Grocery store shopping carts, escalator handrails, elevator buttons, schools, churches, nursing homes, hotels, movie theaters, taxis, planes, trains. Most of us are healthy and it is not a health concern.

It is impossible to predict the likelihood but everyone has to evaluate their own circumstances before traveling.

I do not have an upcoming cruise

I am not the OP

not sure why you quoted my post :confused:

Because you asked the question. Why did you even post? Do not think you should be so picky.

had an email from my friend currently on the ship... NO NORO

Tomorrow is another cruise so who know what people will bring onboard

GOOD... Hope it stays that way. Happy New Year...

We disembarked Riviera on January 3, 2017 and there was no sign or mention of any NORO on board.

And we know what signs to look for as we were on Riviera for 2 cruises in early 2016 when NORO was on board.

Go and enjoy your cruise.:)

On the Nov/Dec 2016 TransAtlantic, Spain to Miami there did not seem to be any outbreaks of Noro. Maybe it was because we saw our wonderful, cheerful cabin attendant, Rosa, down on her knees, scrubbing a grate with a tooth brush to get into every nook and cranny.

There was not a speck of norovirus escaping into her hall if she had anything to say about it!

Flying from NY to Barcelona, we made extensive use of hand gloves like they use in medical settings and wipes in airports, on the plane and during the days we were in the city, before boarding Riviera. Couldn't find the right size in local drug stores, so ended up with mail order. It was the first time neither of us had a cold or an intestinal upset on the boat or afterwards. We wore them in taxis, restaurants. Also had hand sanitizer with us. Our local Wegmans offers hand & cart sanitizers which we use; we do not go near the local Walmart, the germ capitol of the county.

I did recently read in the WaPo, that there was an noro outbreak in the DC area. They also said it was still contagious 2 to 3 days after you started to feel better. If you really want to wallow in it, here is the follow-up article.

Wash your hands well and often !!!!! :)

Oceania Riviera, Nov-Dec 2016, (50th Anniversary Cruise) Barcelona to Miami

Edited by Shining Clem

:confused: I don't understand the "glove" thing unless you changed them often. Like riding in a cab and then changing them for eating.

If you were to touch something that has germs, and then touched your eyes, nose or mouth with that gloved hand, you could still transport the germ to your body? So what is the trick?