Group Recommendations If Possible???

Bo1953

Hello all,

I Am wanting to get a few recommendations, before going to a TA, about cruise lines for a group of 60. The age range will be from toddlers to 85, with the median age of 58.

My preferred line is X, but may need something which will take into consideration the 'younger' crowd with children. There will be approximately 12 children between the ages 3-16, with the median age being 11.

Would prefer NOT the 3k+ passenger ships, hopefully something around 2k which will offer enough activities for the younger crowd to have a 'teaching moment', and good relaxing activities for the older crowd...

Seven (7) days or so, most are in the Northeast USA. Since none of the guests will not have any travel expenses with the exception of any excursions that they take, so cost is not a real constraint, for now.

Any input is greatly appreciated. NE or FL are the better embarkation points, if possible, as well.

TIA - bo1953

Edited by Bo1953
Adding Location Reference Points

How about the "Summit" out of NJ t Bermuda. Though "X" is not known for being the 1st choice for kids, in the summer to Bermuda there are many, and they have a fine kids program on board. Bermuda is also one of our favorite destinations and being there for a few days means no rushing around to see/do and still be back on the ship by 5PM because the ship is leaving. For a large group, and especially if you don't have to fly to the cruise, that would be my 1st choice.

Thank you both for the suggestions... I think The Summit might work, most of the guests are within driving distance of Bayonne and many will be first time cruisers which will help alleviate some anxiety about travel as much as possible...

Thank you again...

bon voyage

Bermuda is nice. People can take the ferry and the public busses to towns and beaches. We took a harbor excursion which turned out to be fabulous due to the excellent guide, full of lore and humor! We walked to the small maritime museum and up to the fort. We went to the beach as well, things to do for everyone!

Please check whether people need a passport or other picture id to enter Bermuda.

Seek out the group cruise desks of several large agencies and cruise ship directly. Ask for discounts and OBCs .You may be surprised at pricing variance.

z - thank you for that advice, it is greatly appreciated.

bon voyage

Bermuda is nice. People can take the ferry and the public busses to towns and beaches. We took a harbor excursion which turned out to be fabulous due to the excellent guide, full of lore and humor! We walked to the small maritime museum and up to the fort. We went to the beach as well, things to do for everyone!

Please check whether people need a passport or other picture id to enter Bermuda.

f - thank you for reminding me of that, I will be sure to fully understand the entrance requirements and pass along specifics to each guest. Some of them have green cards, so I want to be sure of the requirements.

bon voyage

That is a HUGE group...a TA is what you need. Let them find the ship and itinerary. With a group that big, you surely will be going your own way, booking your own thing....meeting up once in a while....this will NOT be a "joined at the hip" thing!

Hi Bo

This a fairly large group and you should be able to get a significant discount or OBC.

Whatever trip/cruise line you choose, I would be sure to consult with more than one TA. Be sure to be up front, let them know that you are shopping around for the best price. Make sure you are comparing the same product when you are looking at price. I would also include a cruise line vacation planner in this comparison as well to see what they can offer.

Be sure everyone understands their responsibilities, extra costs involved, deposits, cancellation penalties, and final payment dates. Also since some would not be frequent travelers, the possible need for extra insurance should be stressed. In fact a policy that allows for "cancel for any reason" protects everyone in the group for things that could happen before or during the cruise.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

That is a HUGE group...a TA is what you need. Let them find the ship and itinerary. With a group that big, you surely will be going your own way, booking your own thing....meeting up once in a while....this will NOT be a "joined at the hip" thing!

I agree about using a TA, who can help narrow down the choices per your requirements. Try to get someone who is experienced with booking groups on cruises.

I'm a bit confused about your comment about expenses...is one person paying for everyone's fare or is each party paying for their fare. If it's the second one, definitely going through a TA would be beneficial. Give everyone contact info for the TA, a link to pricing info (let everyone decide on what category of cabin they want....maybe they don't want to be in the same area of the ship as most people in your group), and give them a deadline. Advise them to check out the info on the cruise line's website...and also give them some tourism websites to check out.

And I agree with not making everyone joined at the hip. don't require every one to eat at the same time, etc. there may be some who want to go casual the whole time (eat at the buffet), others may want to pay extra for some dinners in the specialty restaurant, etc. You can decide as a group on some meeting times if you want. Same for ports, don't require everyone to be in on the same excursion (besides you won't find one with room for 60 people).

Thank you all for your valuable input and insight.....

The guests will only be responsible for their transport to/from the ship and incidentals while on the ship and in port...

There will be one (1) group dinner on-board and that is it. There will be a few people who we will hang with often times.

Keeping it simple and easy and above all - fun...

Thank you again all...

bon voyage

We did a group cruise of 36 on the Summit out of Bayonne and used a TA.

From X we got the cost of one cruise fare for every 8 (I think that was the number) cabins booked. The used the most booked category to determine the fare category. In addition we got a group rate price for the cabins which was slightly lower than the "retail" price at the time we arranged the cabins. The group perqs probably differ from line to line, so be sure you understand what is included.

All bookings and payments went through the TA. We, as organizers, didn't get involved in any of the "nagging" and follow up necessary for a group. In addition to the group rate and rebate from the cruise line, the TA threw in a cocktail party. The TA also did the on line registration for everyone and mailed them out along with an information packet. Even if the payment logistics don't apply to your group, having someone do the registrations is a big plus.

In researching option, we discovered that the lines we checked would give us the same perqs regardless of whether we used a TA or booked it ourselves. They commission the TA but wouldn't give us a better deal for DIY. The big chain TAs wouldn't negotiate/rebate their commission. The smaller TAs would negotiate, hence our cocktail party. Only the independent TA was willing to do all the logistics and nagging.

We did set dining and had adjacent tables. Pre dinner drinks and dinner was the one time daily we were together. We were more joined at the hip than I wanted; but less than in my worst fears. :rolleyes: Even a ship the size of the Summit is small enough that you will run into each other during the day (or evening).

Rather than have everyone drive to the port and park, we arranged a Starr bus from South Jersey. Meet in one location and let someone else drive.

We did a group cruise of 36 on the Summit out of Bayonne and used a TA.

From X we got the cost of one cruise fare for every 8 (I think that was the number) cabins booked. The used the most booked category to determine the fare category. In addition we got a group rate price for the cabins which was slightly lower than the "retail" price at the time we arranged the cabins. The group perqs probably differ from line to line, so be sure you understand what is included.

All bookings and payments went through the TA. We, as organizers, didn't get involved in any of the "nagging" and follow up necessary for a group. In addition to the group rate and rebate from the cruise line, the TA threw in a cocktail party. The TA also did the on line registration for everyone and mailed them out along with an information packet. Even if the payment logistics don't apply to your group, having someone do the registrations is a big plus.

In researching option, we discovered that the lines we checked would give us the same perqs regardless of whether we used a TA or booked it ourselves. They commission the TA but wouldn't give us a better deal for DIY. The big chain TAs wouldn't negotiate/rebate their commission. The smaller TAs would negotiate, hence our cocktail party. Only the independent TA was willing to do all the logistics and nagging.

We did set dining and had adjacent tables. Pre dinner drinks and dinner was the one time daily we were together. We were more joined at the hip than I wanted; but less than in my worst fears. :rolleyes: Even a ship the size of the Summit is small enough that you will run into each other during the day (or evening).

Rather than have everyone drive to the port and park, we arranged a Starr bus from South Jersey. Meet in one location and let someone else drive.

c - thank you for the great input about the bus. For this sailing there will be one (1) main meal together, some will be in either Blu or Luminae, some I know will opt for MDR, which is fine.

As for payment of anything, I will require each cabin to have a $200 reservation per person, and give it back as OBC, which I think is fair game.

I will host two (2) all invited cocktail parties, and a few informal ones. Not everyone drinks in the group with at least six (6) who would like to be at any bar, which is fine by me...

Thank you everyone as well for your input and sage advice.... I welcome more, to boot.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

You are treating everyone? :cool: Even if so, get a good TA that will handle all the paperwork and get you the best possible deal and rebate you some of the commission.

Did you win the lottery? :D

C - thank you very much for the info... Yes, rebating some of the commission, would be great and reduce the overall outlay as I want each cabin to get some OBC as well, if not from the TA then from the cruise line.

I wish that I won the lottery, it is one of those things I have been saving for, for a very long time....

It is my birthday gift to some of my closest friends... social and business.

I only expect about two-thirds (2/3) to go, several I know do not like cruising...

bon voyage