Free Pub lunch gone

antsp

The original pub lunch menu had additional options besides F & C and fried shrimp. For example:

o Bangers and mash

o Ploughman's lunch

o Steak and kidney pie

o Scotch egg

o Chicken curry

These have apparently disappeared from the menu.

yep, we could have ordered those other items on 12/17/16 cruise (I recall bangers & mash as well as steak and kidney pie and ploughman's lunch but I cannot say about the egg or chicken)..

Well, here's a current thread with pictures of the scotch egg and chicken curry.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51949366&postcount=244

And from the same thread, a picture of the little menus for Pub lunch.

IMG_6441_zpsndysqm0v.jpg

I do not believe that the choices have been limited to shrimp or fish.

Edited by shredie

The original pub lunch menu had additional options besides F & C and fried shrimp. For example:

o Bangers and mash

o Ploughman's lunch

o Steak and kidney pie

o Scotch egg

o Chicken curry

These have apparently disappeared from the menu.

Got off Emerald 19 Dec, they still offered Bangers and Mash, Fish & Chips, Steak and Kidney pie and Plowmans lunch. I didn't notice the others but they may well have been on offer.

Having had only one prior experience with the Pub Lunch on the Grand, I don't remember if you can get an iced tea or not.

Having been to dozens of Pub lunches on ten different ships, I can say with certainty that iced tea is not one of the free beverage options.

Got off Emerald 19 Dec, they still offered Bangers and Mash, Fish & Chips, Steak and Kidney pie and Plowmans lunch. I didn't notice the others but they may well have been on offer.

This is how rumors get started around here. One person does not see some menu items and then suddenly those items have been dropped from all ships forever. :rolleyes: They never offer all the choices at once. They spread them out over two days or more. Between what you report and what we see on a current thread, all of the choices have been accounted for.

Edited by shredie

We got off the Crown on January 4 and we had the same offerings so they definitely haven't disappeared from the menu. I don't remember seeing the egg or chicken but maybe they were offered on different days (we went twice on a 31 day B2B).

Edited by capriccio

We were on the Star Hawaiian cruise 12/20-1/4. The Pub Lunch was free and in the Crown Grill. However, only two items: fish & chips and fried shrimp. We had the F & C and it was not very good.

We were on the Star a year ago and I had the fish and chips at the complimentary Pub. It was mushy and awful!

But, but, but, I used to live on the Central Coast of California (Morro Bay) where fish and chips are king, made with fresh caught Ling Cod. That is the Rolls Royce of fish and chips. So my standards are a bit high.

I've had fish and chips a couple of times in England and they were not good either.

I had my first real English fish and chips from several chip shops while in Manchester a couple of months ago and the Pub Lunch was better in my opinion. Both times the fish was one large piece fillet fish with the chips, French fries, underneath. The underside of the fish and the chips became soggy. I like the smaller pieces of fish with a crisp breading and fries but that is probably a U.S. thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had my first real English fish and chips from several chip shops while in Manchester a couple of months ago and the Pub Lunch was better in my opinion. Both times the fish was one large piece fillet fish with the chips, French fries, underneath. The underside of the fish and the chips became soggy. I like the smaller pieces of fish with a crisp breading and fries but that is probably a U.S. thing.

My father was born there. There are good ones if you know where to go.

It depends on who is cooking it, I guess. Sometimes the Pub Lunch fish has been better than other times, and some chip shops in the UK are better than others. One thing you don't see in the US is a choice of fish like you will sometimes see in the UK, cod, haddock, place, etc. The best fish I ever had was from a take away chip shop in Narborough in Leicestershire. You just never know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow. Better than the fish and chips you ate in Manchester. Nice endorsement of the Pub. :)

We will be on the Coral with a friend who enjoys fried foods.

Is the pub free or upcharge?

What kind of fish fillets does the Pub use?

How many filets in an order?

What kind of oil is used?

Are the fish and chips crispy? Soggy, or greasy?

For PAX with big appetites, can one order more than a single platter of fish and chips?

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, with God willing, beyond.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Wow. Better than the fish and chips you ate in Manchester. :)

What kind of fish fillets does the Pub use?

How many filets in an order?

What kind of oil is used?

Are the fish and chips crispy?

For PAX with big appetites, can one order more than a single platter of fish and chips?

The orders have 2-3 pieces about 4 inches long?

You can order as much as you want.

We found them and the fries very crispy and cooked to perfection.

We have had the pub lunch a couple times, and I found the fish and chips to be pretty good. The rest of the food would have appealed to my grandma who was born in London, but it is not too appealing to me.

I too am spoiled. Like a previous poster mentioned, we make our fish and chips here in British Columbia using ling cod or halibut. Both are much better fish than the fish Princess uses.

Still, I hope that the lunch is continuing. Many people seem to really enjoy it, and even though we have only been cruising the last couple years, it does seem little things are being continually cut back.

Edited by RMMariner

The orders have 2-3 pieces about 4 inches long?

You can order as much as you want.

We found them and the fries very crispy and cooked to perfection.

Thanks. I'll pass that info along to her. It will be her first cruise. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We have had the pub lunch a couple times, and I found the fish and chips to be pretty good. The rest of the food would have appealed to my grandma who was born in London, but it is not too appealing to me.

I too am spoiled. Like a previous poster mentioned, we make our fish and chips here in British Columbia using ling cod or halibut. Both are much better fish than the fish Princess uses.

Still, I hope that the lunch is continuing. Many people seem to really enjoy it, and even though we have only been cruising the last couple years, it does seem little things are being continually cut back.

Do you know what kind of fish is used?

Anyone here remember the original Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley, Yorkshire, England?

Now THAT was fish & chips.......newspaper and all!!!

Those were the days!!!

So, how long ago was that? :confused:

Happy cruising and good health in 2017, wirh God willing, beyond.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I was thinking if ling cod was akin "to the RR of F&Cs" then Halibut surely is the Bentley of F&Cs.