Stay in Times Square - Sail out of Brooklyn?

antmaril

My friend and I are getting ready to book the Regal Princess to Canada/New England in September. We will fly in the day before, of course. My friend has never been to New York City. I was originally thinking we would stay in either Brooklyn or maybe the Courtyard by Marriott near the World Trade Center, but now that I know she's never been to NYC, I think we should stay in Times Square. Any reason we shouldn't? We will be traveling to the port on a Saturday morning. I will probably arrange a car service - either Dial 7 or Carmel.

Thanks!

My friend and I are getting ready to book the Regal Princess to Canada/New England in September. We will fly in the day before, of course. My friend has never been to New York City. I was originally thinking we would stay in either Brooklyn or maybe the Courtyard by Marriott near the World Trade Center, but now that I know she's never been to NYC, I think we should stay in Times Square. Any reason we shouldn't? We will be traveling to the port on a Saturday morning. I will probably arrange a car service - either Dial 7 or Carmel.

Thanks!

What airport are you flying into? What are your exact dates in Sep? What is your hotel budget?

Certain September dates are high season in Manhattan because of Fashion Week and the U.N. opening, so now could be the time to make a decision.

Really no reason not to stay in midtown if your budget accommodates it. My second choice would be the World Trade area.

What airport are you flying into? What are your exact dates in Sep? What is your hotel budget?

Certain September dates are high season in Manhattan because of Fashion Week and the U.N. opening, so now could be the time to make a decision.

Really no reason not to stay in midtown if your budget accommodates it. My second choice would be the World Trade area.

Yes-extremely "high season" $$$ if it's that tough UN week. That said, only one night in Manhattan (or Brooklyn) is a waste of airfare. If it really can only be one night, I'd stay in Brooklyn (maybe the Sheraton near Fulton St.) and check out one or more of the following: the Brooklyn Museum, Botanical Gardens, Prospect Park, stroll the Esplanade, or visit the Aquarium at Coney Island. For food, at least grab a slice at Di Fara's on Avenue J (most important of all), and/or cheesecake at Juniors, dogs at Nathan's or a Roast Beef sandwich at Brennan & Carr. For dinner, Frankie's Sputino, Peter Luger or the River Café.

If nothing else in Brooklyn, make your way to the "junction"- where Nostrand Avenue crosses Flatbush Avenue - the center of the known universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks. I think I am going to book the Marriott Marquis. I will arrange for a car service for Saturday morning. The rate at the MM isn't too bad for 9/22.

Great location in heart of NYC midtown, cool revolving bar, huge hotel, walking distance to many great restaurants and Broadway shows, let us know if you want a restaurant suggestions.

Great location in heart of NYC midtown, cool revolving bar, huge hotel, walking distance to many great restaurants and Broadway shows, let us know if you want a restaurant suggestions.

Thanks. Yes, I have stayed at the Marriott Marquis twice before. The location in Times Square is fantastic. It will be perfect for my friend's first visit to NYC. I booked the cruise, as well as the hotel, today. Woohoo!

Oddly - the only hotel I have stayed in NYC (2x) is the Marriott Marquis also.

It is a great location. I don't necessarily love the hotel (it is massive) but the price was right on both of my stays and the location can't be beat.

I also would stay at Time Square as opposed to Brooklyn. Even if your time is limited - I would do it.

Oddly - the only hotel I have stayed in NYC (2x) is the Marriott Marquis also.

It is a great location. I don't necessarily love the hotel (it is massive) but the price was right on both of my stays and the location can't be beat.

I also would stay at Time Square as opposed to Brooklyn. Even if your time is limited - I would do it.

Thanks. Yes, the hotel is big, but the location is great and I got a decent AAA rate. I, too, have only been to NY twice before and both times we stayed at the Marriott Marquis. This will be the trifecta. Ha!

We often stay in/near TS because we go to NYC for theater weekends, but many people find it unpleasantly chaotic.

WE like being a few blocks away, you should look at Michelangelo on 51st and 7th elegant hotel, we been here last 6 years or so

WE like being a few blocks away, you should look at Michelangelo on 51st and 7th elegant hotel, we been here last 6 years or so

Or the Blakely -in the 50's just down the block from 7th Avenue. But, alas, the Carnegie Deli is no more.

The Marriott Marquis is nicely located and there are many unpublished deals that can make it dirt cheap. However, it's a bit short on character and does have that world famous crazy elevator call system (when really busy you may find yourself redirected to service elevators- seriously!).

Before I retired, my boss used to travel to NY very frequently and would stay at The Michelangelo. He liked it very much. I will check the rates for our dates. I have the Marriott Marquis for $315, which isn't too bad.

We took our grandson to NY Christmas week and stayed at the Renaissance in Times Square. It was an awesome location. We have also stayed in the upper 30s near 7th Ave. A little less expensive and also a great location.

I have a hotel that you need to avoid , I lived in NYC for 30 years but after being transferred to Texas I was taking my girlfriend ( who is now my wife of 25 years) to NYC for 1st time , I know the city but not the hotels and we stayed at Milford Plaza across from Marriot biggest dive we have ever stayed at, Now we get a King suite at Michelangelo or stay at Hilton if that is not available, although wouldn't mind trying Marriot, there is a very nice Broadway Theater in Marriot

Now we get a King suite at Michelangelo or stay at Hilton if that is not available, although wouldn't mind trying Marriot, there is a very nice Broadway Theater in Marriot

Can I ask which Hilton you stay at. We are heading to NY for 5 nights before boarding Anthem of the Seas on the 14th September. DH is Diamond with Hilton so would ideally like to stay in a Hilton. Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated.

Karen

Can I ask which Hilton you stay at. We are heading to NY for 5 nights before boarding Anthem of the Seas on the 14th September. DH is Diamond with Hilton so would ideally like to stay in a Hilton. Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated.

Karen

Your dates coincide with Fashion Week and the opening of the UN General Assembly, so you need to make some sort of cancellable reservation ASAP. The New York Hilton midtown is showing up at about $300/night - the others are much more.

Edited by 138east

Karen

We have stayed several times at Hilton on 6th ave and 53rd, just north of Rockefeller center, large hotel, there is also a Hilton in times square

We have stayed several times at Hilton on 6th ave and 53rd, just north of Rockefeller center, large hotel, there is also a Hilton in times square

This is an acceptable hotel, but it is a huge convention hotel. Donald J. Trump used it as his election night headquarters. It has the huge ballroom and several meeting rooms. I think they are updating the place, because my sister just went to an ice bar located in the property.

Can you get the Double Tree Suites Times Square with the platinum points? The suites include a bedroom and a sitting room. And if you're platinum perhaps you can get a suite overlooking the lights, which may or may not be something you want.

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor for both properties. There are a few more Hilton/ Double Tree properties in Manhattan and all of them are acceptable but it all comes down to amenities and location.

This is an acceptable hotel, but it is a huge convention hotel. Donald J. Trump used it as his election night headquarters. It has the huge ballroom and several meeting rooms. I think they are updating the place, because my sister just went to an ice bar located in the property.

Can you get the Double Tree Suites Times Square with the platinum points? The suites include a bedroom and a sitting room. And if you're platinum perhaps you can get a suite overlooking the lights, which may or may not be something you want.

Read the reviews on Trip Advisor for both properties. There are a few more Hilton/ Double Tree properties in Manhattan and all of them are acceptable but it all comes down to amenities and location.

I have stayed here a few times only problem we ever have is a long wait for elevators , good location, a few really good Irish bars and in general a great location, love suites Michelangelo normally has a really good deal on King suite with 2 bathrooms

In November we had a reservation at this hotel. They were overbooked and relocated us to a place near LaGuardia. Not the best experience.

• 2 weeks later...

My adult daughter are going on the Regal for the same cruise the first Sat in October 10/7. I have no problems navigating in Chicago, DC, Boston and even SF but the thought of NYC scares the bejesus out of me! (We live in a suburb of Dallas TX but don't spend much time there either). Will most likely fly into LGA because we fly southwest so following this thread. Looking for suggestions as I know she would like to see some of "the City". Me....I'm all about getting on that big white boat! [emoji13]

My adult daughter are going on the Regal for the same cruise the first Sat in October 10/7. I have no problems navigating in Chicago, DC, Boston and even SF but the thought of NYC scares the bejesus out of me! (We live in a suburb of Dallas TX but don't spend much time there either). Will most likely fly into LGA because we fly southwest so following this thread. Looking for suggestions as I know she would like to see some of "the City". Me....I'm all about getting on that big white boat! [emoji13]

Are you flying in one or two days early? What is your hotel budget?

If you want to spend the money, it's very easy to fly into LGA, take a cab to a Manhattan hotel, and take a cab to the Brooklyn pier. Where you book a hotel will be affected by what you want to do in NYC.

The only thing I'd like to see/do is the World Trade Center monument. Not sure about my kid. I'm paying her cruise fare and not willing to dump a bunch of money on a place to sleep and shower. Most likely come in Fri before cruise Sat.

What's your hotel budget? Bed configuration?

Sometimes you can get a good deal on Orbitz. Look into Double Tree Financial District. It's 3 stars but it's not bad. It's located in a safe quiet block. You can walk to World Trade Center and if you wish take the free Staten Island Ferry past Statue of Liberty. The elevator is slow that's the only thing wrong with the Double Tree