Explorer LA to Miami Panama Canal Jan 15-30

purpleally

We are also now in LA, hanging out with friends pre-cruise, but having bumped into a couple of familiar faces in the hotel lobby last night, it feels like our Explorer experience is almost there. As always, I am blogging about our travels at http://www.elegantsufficiency.org and am looking forward to some sunshine!

See you on board purpleally!

Just wanted to thank you so much, I've been reading your blog and it's really great-thanks for taking the time out of your trip-the writing and photos are outstanding. In join your trip.

Rick

Rick, thank you for your kind words - glad you are on board in spirit if not in person! It was fun to meet new CC friends yesterday and to put faces to names (and cc ids too). Purpleally, were you there? If so, I'm sorry I missed you!

We are enjoying Explorer and love the spacious ambience. We are still finding our way around though and appreciating the clear signage around the ship. I still need those deck plans to go anywhere!

I am more than impressed with previous cruisers who post or blog daily.

We are middday day 4 of cruise and I haven't written. We are in Acapulco today, anchored next to Navigator where guests can visit each other. I suspect more will visit Explorer than the Navigator. Most have gone off on tours, including my duh and friends. I'm in the gorgeous suite with a fantastic view under doctors orders to NOT go horse back riding. 😰

I will tender to shore to meet them later but, in the meantime I will try to catch up.

Got the ship a bit after eleven and were given boarding number two

It was a simple two step process and we were on the ship by noon. While the rest of the pack went to look for a table I went off to try to get P7 for Sunday evening. (As it turns out, we needn't have worried about additional reservations since Compass Rose hands them out like trick or treat candy)

Scored 730 pm and found everyone at the pool deck. We had an appetizer (lobster nachos- mistake!) and then moved onto La Veranda

We sat outside and it was COLD. 60 degrees from Michigan is COLD. (In, Michigan its fine, whatever, it just is). Gratefully there were heaters. Three days later I have no idea what I had for lunch. I have found La Veranda to be forgettable. People go here and there with no rhyme or reason and service is definitely spotty. When the weather gets nicer it will make up for this but, luckily, we found other options quickly.

We explored the Explorer with many, many OMG moments. Love the ship, it is beautiful! Love the Observation lounge(wish there was outside area in front for viewing). Really like the decor, it seems like classic, old time cruise. Very elegant. I've walked the decks many times and enjoy seeing the black and white pictures.

We are in F1 on 10th. Love the suite. The bathroom is fabulous. Closet spacious, so much storage. We moved the chair from the "desk" and put it opposite the table. It took three days but I think our stewardess (who is great, a ball of energy!) has figured out that's where we prefer it and no longer moves it back.

Unfortunately, I was able to "explore" the part of a ship that no one wants to visit - the Medical center. On Sunday we tried a "bandaid" method of treatment which did not work and the problem only escalated until I returned 48 hours later

P7 was great. So many choices on the menu. Our friends, who only know Seabourn, enjoyed as well and appreciated the reservation

And that was it for day 1

purpleally, sorry to learn that you had to visit the Medical Center and can't horseback ride. Hope that you heal quickly.

Had to laugh about nachos at the Pool Grill - I've tried warning other posters about them. IMO, Regent has enough difficulty with Hispanic food but really fail on the nachos. The day we ordered them they had no salsa (what is nachos without salsa?) They asked if we wanted extra sauce. Thinking that they meant something else, ours was covered with a loose sour cream. Really bad.

I certainly understand "OMG" moments and, as Gilly mentions in her blog, having the deck plan with you (or reading it next to the elevators) is a big help. Also understand why you haven't written. There is something about getting onto the Explorer for the first time that takes your focus away from everything else.

Having stayed in a "F" category suite, I understand how much you enjoy it. You could ask for another chair for the desk if you feel it would be easier. I asked why there wasn't a chair in the "living room" area and the response was simply that it would feel too crowded.

Really like your description of dining reservations being handed out like tick or treat candy. It seems that CR's new menu is so popular that the reservation venues are not as crowded as expected and CR gets packed. What do you think about the new CR menu?

Glad that you mentioned the black and white pictures. They certainly make me feel like I'm a cruise ship from many years ago. There are decks that we haven't walked yet -- will make a point to do so in March -- just to view the photos!

Looking forward to more posts.

Edited by Travelcat2

purpleally, sorry to learn that you had to visit the Medical Center and can't horseback ride. Hope that you heal quickly.

Had to laugh about nachos at the Pool Grill - I've tried warning other posters about them. IMO, Regent has enough difficulty with Hispanic food but really fail on the nachos. The day we ordered them they had no salsa (what is nachos without salsa?) They asked if we wanted extra sauce. Thinking that they meant something else, ours was covered with a loose sour cream. Really .

I remember reading about the nachos but did not click as the guys ordered them. Today was Tex mex. I had a piece of pizza and room service

Smartest advice I can give you for Regent or Oceania is to stay away from the Mexican food onboard. Just bad!

We saw Explorer Monday in San Diego. Even George commented how he loves that ship.

If George loves the ship, that is the best recommendation it can get.

How was your latest Oceania cruise?

If George loves the ship, that is the best recommendation it can get.

How was your latest Oceania cruise?

Good enough that we booked another for 2018 because the price is right. I figured out how to lux it up enough that George is fairly happy. Not saving money that way, but we can travel with friends and family.

We still love regent best.

I wrote a lengthy post last night which was lost because I got bumped off the internet. I know Mr. Rumor told me to do it in notes but I didn't. We had a fabulous dinner last night on Pacific Rim.

Compass Rose is amazing as is everything else on the ship. The staff and crew Go above and beyond with every request. We think that Regent has upped its game and we have always thought highly of it.

TC, our server says I am sitting in your chair.

Cabo was fun. We did an Art Walk and went to a craft beer tasting.

For some reason this is appearing very small on my screen. Hopefully it posts larger.

Edited by Eager2Travel

I'm hoping to catch up on my days since we are at sea today.

San Diego was COLD but sunny. We went to LaVeranda for breakfast because we really prefer outdoor venues. The best word to describe it was chaos. People going both ways, cutting, wandering. I really disliked it.

We skipped the tours and charted a boat for a private cruise for the four of us around San Diego harbor. (Crazy, unbelievable deal on Groupon). The couple who own the boat were lovely and we had a great time.

We went to O bar for our happy hour and then on to Compass Rose for dinner where we were told "I've got a deal for you!" They offered us P7 or Pacific Rim. Since we'd been to P7 the night before, we took Pacific Rim.

Liked the decor and the dishes. The sushi was good, had some soup and then something stalled. I think it was forty minutes before our entrees came out. The staff was in fast forward; maybe understaffed? All of us had Lobster Tempura which was delicious.

We had put out a bag of laundry before 9 am not really expecting to see it for a couple of days. Pleasantly surprised to have it back that evening- one day service! Perhaps other guests didn't have laundry yet but we came to California three days early.

I spent most of the day waiting for 6pm waiting for the medical center to open after I realized mid morning that my arm was not only not getting better, but getting much worse.

I was diagnosed with a severe infection and given an IV antibiotic immediately. After thirty minutes she bandaged my arm, wrapped my hand in pink tape. I had to return two more times for two more IV treatments.

That was when the dr told me no sun, no water. What???? I'm on a CRUISE!!!

After the fiasco in LaVeranda yesterday, we went to Compass Rose for breakfast. Great decision! Fresh berries, yogurt not out of the container. Very large portions tho.

After breakfast Bev and I stopped at the spa to ask if we could get manicures at the same time. "Not possible!" I was told by a young man in a haughty tone. This turned out to be a good thing as I rang up $$$$ in medical costs.

To be continued

Edited by purpleally

Oh heck, Purpleally, I know exactly who you are! We commented yesterday when we saw (you) with bandages on your hand and arm. Oh my...now that's most certainly not what you paid for when you booked your cruise so, so sorry to read of this and needless to say, hoping that infection can be sorted soonest.

We had an almost identical experience to you in PR on the first night. After being persuaded to book a table there we found ourselves sitting in the middle of a whirlwind of staff running in and out of the kitchen. After 30 min we still had no food - had not even ordered - so asked to move tables (and considered walking out). Thankfully Daniela stepped in, took charge of the situation, having moved us to a less frenetic table and 'normal' service resumed. We were told that it was as a result of many new, young staff coming on board in LA....understandable but not really excuseable and jot a great start.

Hope to spot you around the ship. When I do, I will introduce myself.

I spent most of the day waiting for 6pm waiting for the medical center to open after I realized mid morning that my arm was not only not getting better, but getting much worse.

I was diagnosed with a severe infection and given an IV antibiotic immediately. After thirty minutes she bandaged my arm, wrapped my hand in pink tape. I had to return two more times for two more IV treatments.

That was when the dr told me no sun, no water. What???? I'm on a CRUISE!!!

I kinda know how you feel after stumbling (no, I was stone sober at the time) on some steps and fracturing a few bones in my right hand. And this only midway through a 14-day trip. A splint, ice, and a lot of Motrin helped, but it sure takes away a little something from the rest of the trip. Hope your arm improves - at least you can enjoy all of the other fun stuff to do on a cruise!

Feel better!!

Oh heck, Purpleally, I know exactly who you are! We commented yesterday when we saw (you) with bandages on your hand and arm. Oh my...now that's most certainly not what you paid for when you booked your cruise �� so, so sorry to read of this and needless to say, hoping that infection can be sorted soonest.

Hope to spot you around the ship. When I do, I will introduce myself.

Was it at the coffee bar?

I hope to see you as well. Laying low as to feeling a bit down, with the infection and the shock when I received the ASTRONOMICAL medical bill!!!!

I kinda know how you feel after stumbling (no, I was stone sober at the time) on some steps and fracturing a few bones in my right hand. And this only midway through a 14-day trip. A splint, ice, and a lot of Motrin helped, but it sure takes away a little something from the rest of the trip. Hope your arm improves - at least you can enjoy all of the other fun stuff to do on a cruise!

Feel better!!

Not really, no sun, no water, antibiotics so really can't drink, the dr told me the meds have to be taken on an empty stomach. When is there an empty stomach on this cruise when the food is soooooo good???!!!

Not really, no sun, no water, antibiotics so really can't drink, the dr told me the meds have to be taken on an empty stomach. When is there an empty stomach on this cruise when the food is soooooo good???!!!

:( Well, you're still on board and I'm sitting in my office looking out the window at the clouds, so you're still the winner. Looks like you're doing a few sea days and Acapulco, which from what I've heard can be skipped without a lot of regret these days. The no-booze thing could be an issue, but you can make a game out of the meds on an empty stomach...it'll be like 'wait, wait, wait, wait...meds...GORGE!!!...wait, wait, wait, wait...meds...GORGE!!!...wait, wait, wait, wait...meds...GORGE!!!'

Well, let me say this - enjoy it as much as you can - it still beats being in the office.

:( Well, you're still on board and I'm sitting in my office looking out the window at the clouds, so you're still the winner. Looks like you're doing a few sea days and Acapulco, which from what I've heard can be skipped without a lot of regret these days. The no-booze thing could be an issue, but you can make a game out of the meds on an empty stomach...it'll be like 'wait, wait, wait, wait...meds...GORGE!!!...wait, wait, wait, wait...meds...GORGE!!!...wait, wait, wait, wait...meds...GORGE!!!'

Well, let me say this - enjoy it as much as you can - it still beats being in the office.

Yes, and I'm still alive. My nurse friend who we are traveling with suggested I was close to septic (not sure what that means but it might involve swimming with the fishes 😵) when I went to medical center the second time. Yikes!!!!

UUnetBill:

Not true about Acapulco. Read the threads on this board. We had a great time at the Pierre Marques Imperial hotel swimming in the ocean and pool and having a delicious Mexican buffet lunch. Also did some nice shopping, using the very strong dollar and weak peso...

Purpleally,

Sorry to hear about your illness. Your health insurance should cover some of the bill, but this is why it's a good idea to buy TravelGuard or another trip insurance product.

Re Pacific Rim service, you should immediately speak with the restaurant manager onboard. Unacceptablly slow service. Re La Veranda, when it's warm enough we always sit outside. Very pleasant, even for Sette Mari dinner. We avoid eating inside. Re Compass Rose, for a quieter experience, ask for a table in one of the back rooms.

Edited by JPR

TC, our server says I am sitting in your chair.

Your post cracked me up:D Is your server Risky? I thought she would be off the ship by now. If it is, please tell her that "Jackie and Mr. Versace" send her hugs (the Versace thing is a joke between Dennis and Risky). Anyway, now I can picture you on the ship in CR. We went into that area initially for Risky but then heard how noisy some areas were so we tried to avoid anything in the middle.

Good to hear that you are enjoying the ship and the cruise. I know that purpleally isn't fond of La Veranda. What are your thoughts? We really like the set-up - it flows easier. Also appreciated the grill - it's nice to be able to get freshly grilled chicken/fish/lamb..... makes me hungry thinking about it. We do like having P7 and Chartreuse open for lunch.

I see that you don't have a sea day on a Sunday until the 29th - assuming that the incredible buffet brunch will be set up in CR. I recommend not eating breakfast (or just having a little) and saving your appetite for brunch. It is amazing.

Continue to enjoy your cruise.

purpleally - we are all worried about you. Please keep us up to date on how you are healing.

Edited by Travelcat2