Tipping on Princess

ricethief

I've got a quick question in regards to tipping. What is the policy in regards to giving extra tips to waiters? I was recently on the Diamond and we had great service from the our waiters and we gave them a cash tip at the end. I was asked for my stateroom number afterwards and it didn't occur to me at the time but does that mean the tip goes into the pool and place against my stateroom?

Last February on a Princess cruise I cash tipped the person who brought our room service orders. On my end of cruise bill I saw that I was charged a gratuity of, I think, $5 for each room service delivery. I just let it go without questioning it. We were treated well and quickly. But I am going on another cruise in April and I would like to understand what the process is. If I tip the person who brings in the order should I write on the order slip "tipped waiter directly" or just write a tip amount on the slip?

Last February on a Princess cruise I cash tipped the person who brought our room service orders. On my end of cruise bill I saw that I was charged a gratuity of, I think, $5 for each room service delivery. I just let it go without questioning it. We were treated well and quickly. But I am going on another cruise in April and I would like to understand what the process is. If I tip the person who brings in the order should I write on the order slip "tipped waiter directly" or just write a tip amount on the slip?

Thats pretty bad if they added $5 to each delivery.:(

If giving the cash tip again I would write 0 with a line through it on the tip line above you signature.

I'd rather not for fear of criticism.

But there are many things that can be given a gifts (without them being re-gifted items) and are well appreciated. Certainly not food or clothing.

So, in other words, junk or useless stuff.

And of course the crew "well appreciated" the gifts. No way would they tell you anything otherwise. They aren't dumb. They are not going to honestly tell you if they think a gift is worthless to them for fear of offending you and being punished in some way, either by a complaint to their supervisor, or removal of auto tips. These people put up will all kinds of people while doing their work. I am certain they have come across some pretty rude and temperamental passengers who made their lives hell for some petty reason or another. They will always try to stay on the good side of their customers, and will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.

Edited by sloopsailor

I... we often give them small personal gifts during the cruise.

I never give anyone I hardly know any kind of item as a gift. I only give them cash if I want to thank them for something they did for me. Without knowing a person well, there is no way to know what they would or wouldn't appreciate. Cash can always be used, while candy, clothing, books, etc., may not be to their taste. Plus, physical items take space, something they have very little of while working on the ship, or in their luggage when returning home after their contract ends.

People give gifts to strangers not to benefit the recipient, but to make themselves feel good about themselves. "I am such a wonderfully generous person that I give things to people less fortunate than me. I am quite special because of this."

Edited by PTMary

So, in other words, junk or useless stuff.

And of course the crew "well appreciated" the gifts. No way would they tell you anything otherwise. They aren't dumb. They are not going to honestly tell you if they think a gift is worthless to them for fear of offending you and being punished in some way, either by a complaint to their supervisor, or removal of auto tips. These people put up will all kinds of people while doing their work. I am certain they have come across some pretty rude and temperamental passengers who made their lives hell for some reason or another. They will always try to stay on the good side of their customers, and will tell you whatever they think you want to hear.

No it's not junk by anyone's standards. I don't force it on them but ask if they would like it. It's their choice and I haven found any of them to refuse it yet.

I understand that the crew wouldn't offend anyone by not accepting a gift from a passenger but this is not the case. We see same crew members year after year with the always the same happy attitude.

One bartender on the Royal last year who I didn't even know was on that cruise knew I was on the ship since he saw his friend with one of the gifts.

He even had his friend get me to say a hello.

I never give anyone I hardly know any kind of item as a gift. I only give them cash if I want to thank them for something they did for me. Without knowing a person well, there is no way to know what they would or wouldn't appreciate. Cash can always be used, while candy, clothing, books, etc., may not be to their taste. Plus, physical items take space, something they have very little of while working on the ship, or in their luggage when returning home after their contract ends.

People give gifts to strangers not to benefit the recipient, but to make themselves feel good about themselves. "I am such a wonderfully generous person that I give things to people less fortunate than me. I am quite special because of this."

I guess you can say that it does make me feel better sharing something that they crew doesn't usually have access to while working. It's evident that they all appreciate someone who takes the time to provide them with a small gift in exchange for nothing.

Try giving them a gift sometime & you'll see what I mean. (in addition to CASH)

You should be aware that some room service items, like pizza, have a mandatory extra charge. It is clearly stated in the room service menu in your cabin. I am betting one of those items caused your $5 charge(s). Otherwise on Princess room service is included in your overall cabin price, and extras are at your discretion. I have noted in recent years the receipt one signs has a place for gratuity, should you wish to add one. That gratuity will appear in your onboard account, and avoids the need to handle cash while onboard.

I guess you can say that it does make me feel better sharing something that they crew doesn't usually have access to while working. It's evident that they all appreciate someone who takes the time to provide them with a small gift in exchange for nothing.

Try giving them a gift sometime & you'll see what I mean. (in addition to CASH)

Speaking strictly for myself, I wouldn't want people I hardly know giving me something I don't need or want just because they have decided that I am supposed to like it. If you want to show your generosity to make yourself feel better, then make me feel better as well by giving me something that I will absolutely appreciate - cash. Nothing else could be as useful to me as cash. Period. End of story.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Speaking strictly for myself, I wouldn't want people I hardly know giving me something I don't need or want just because they have decided that I am supposed to like it. If you want to show your generosity to make yourself feel better, then make me feel better as well by giving me something that I will absolutely appreciate - cash. Nothing else could be as useful to me as cash. Period. End of story.

Agree 100%. I am sharing below a posting from over on the Holland America forum. Copper10-8 is a security officer on HAL ships, and his comments about the small amount of space that these folks have should be noted. Often times during the holidays, some here will talk about giving Christmas gifts to ship crew. Again, really not practical for the crew, and in some cases, not appropriate given the variety of faiths of these hard working individuals from all over the world. As has been said many times, cash is the most useful thing we can offer as a token of our appreciation.

On the Vistas and up, room steward cabins are small, but not tiny. They contain two bunk beds and each occupant has a full wardrobe closet, a pull-out drawer underneath the lower bunk, and a cabinet drawer for their personal possessions and work-related uniforms/shoes. The cabins come with a shower, a sink, a small flat screen TV and a telephone.

Besides room stewards, you'll find housekeeping attendants, laundry attendants, sailors, machinists, wipers, fireman/greasers, waste handlers, dining room stewards, mess room attendants, assistant cooks, kitchen assistants, general service assistants, GPA Bars, Beverage attendants, security guards, etc. assigned to these.

On the remaining two "S" and the four "R"-class ships, those cabins are located on B-Deck and the only difference is that some have shared shower space

And Yes, if you want to reward your room/dining room stewards, the best thing you can give them is U.S. cash

Edited by RJ2002

I force it on no one, yet they all appreciate it. Whats wrong with a simple gift that everyone likes. If they don't want it they can give it away or refuse it without any problem although I haven seen it yet.

End of story.

I force it on no one, yet they all appreciate it. Whats wrong with a simple gift that everyone likes. If they don't want it they can give it away or refuse it without any problem although I haven seen it yet.

End of story.

Just seems like such a waste of time and effort if you choose a gift YOU think they will like, they accept it to avoid offending you (they are trained to not refuse a guest if at all possible), and then they give it to someone else or throw it away. Completely defeats the purpose of giving them that gift in the first place. Just do everyone a favor and give what is easy for you to pack and give, and easy for them to store and use - CASH. Anything else is a gamble.

But it seems as if you have made up your mind that giving gifts that may be useless is what you are going to continue to do. So, I will now surrender and sign off this conversation and let you do whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Happy gift giving!

Edited by sloopsailor

You should be aware that some room service items, like pizza, have a mandatory extra charge. It is clearly stated in the room service menu in your cabin. I am betting one of those items caused your $5 charge(s). Otherwise on Princess room service is included in your overall cabin price, and extras are at your discretion. I have noted in recent years the receipt one signs has a place for gratuity, should you wish to add one. That gratuity will appear in your onboard account, and avoids the need to handle cash while onboard.

I think pizza has a $3 charge, not $5.

There is no charge for most other room service food except for party platters and special items such as chocolate covered strawberries.

I can't imagine what could be ordered so that every delivery had a $5 charge.

By the way, for room service personnel a signing for a gratuity means it will be shared. Cash can be kept by the person you give it to.

Just seems like such a waste of time and effort if you choose a gift YOU think they will like, they accept it to avoid offending you

Personally, I would go with cash.

On the other extreme, I read here of people who cancel all tips,

with the comment "I'm British I don't tip".

So, if someone is making a genuine effort with a small gift,

that's a lot nicer than many correspondents here.

Personally, I would go with cash.

On the other extreme, I read here of people who cancel all tips,

with the comment "I'm British I don't tip".

So, if someone is making a genuine effort with a small gift,

that's a lot nicer than many correspondents here.

The real extreme we have seen was one couple who used trivia prizes they won such as water bottles as the tips for the staff.

According to the Princess contract that was posted here last year for the USA all tips including ant extra cash you give goes into the pool. Then Princess Corp. doles out tips based on ship class, seniority, longevity and such and keeps a portion for employee incentives.