Tipping on Princess

ricethief

The daily tips you pay on your account cover your waitstaff....no need to "tip as you go"...if they are fantastic and you think they deserve extra, you tip them on the last evening as is customary on cruises!

true. but in an envelope?

No.

Not following the tip policy can result in the employee being sent home at his/her own expense.

ok. so then if I want to give an auto tip and an additional tip to my room steward or waitstaff, you folks are saying that I can't just give "a padded palm" handshake when I leave, as I usully do? Instead I should place the $$ in an envelope first?

I don't want to put any employee in an awkward position yet I DO want to reward exceptional service personally when they deserve it......

As others have moaned, this is a never ending topic. sorry to continue beating the dead horse. LoL. .:rolleyes:....

I'm going to ask staff myself on my upcoming cruise!! that way I will know for sure one way or another. hahaha :)

Bon Voyage Everyone!

~Craving A Cruise

I've got a quick question in regards to tipping. What is the policy in regards to giving extra tips to waiters? I was recently on the Diamond and we had great service from the our waiters and we gave them a cash tip at the end. I was asked for my stateroom number afterwards and it didn't occur to me at the time but does that mean the tip goes into the pool and place against my stateroom?

This is what we do: We leave on the auto tip. To do otherwise suggests pax trying to stiff the crew. At the end of the cruise we hand an envelope to our cabin attendant/waiter/asst.waiter with extra cash,provided they exceeded expectations, which all have done in our 12 years of cruising. We're in the food/hospitality fields, so we like to help our "own" so to speak.

I always hand any additional money to individuals in cash when other crew members are not around since some departments share additional tips with other crew members in their dept. If I wanted all of the to share it would be a different story but I usually want just an individual to benefit by it. If that crew member wants to share it, it's their choice.

I always hand any additional money to individuals in cash when other crew members are not around since some departments share additional tips with other crew members in their dept. If I wanted all of the to share it would be a different story but I usually want just an individual to benefit by it. If that crew member wants to share it, it's their choice.

You do realize that the person you are sneaking cash tips by the rules has to turn it over to the appropriate supervision until an accounting can be made to determine if you have removed the auto tips or not??? He/she is not allowed to hide the fact they received a tip from you. Doing so places them at risk of being fired.

As stated above somewhere (lazy aren't I?) I too believe that a tip to a waiter in a bar is not included in the "must hand it in" group. If I am wrong please (please!) correct me as I really like the staff and wouldn't want to cause any issues. For stewards, wait staff, or wine steward at Vines I agree that any gratuities should be in an envelope with your name (at least last name) and cabin number on the outside as well as the name of the person for whom the gratuity is intended. Passenger Services will me happy to provide you with as many of the appropriate sized envelopes as you like.

As stated above somewhere (lazy aren't I?) I too believe that a tip to a waiter in a bar is not included in the "must hand it in" group. If I am wrong please (please!) correct me as I really like the staff and wouldn't want to cause any issues. For stewards, wait staff, or wine steward at Vines I agree that any gratuities should be in an envelope with your name (at least last name) and cabin number on the outside as well as the name of the person for whom the gratuity is intended. Passenger Services will me happy to provide you with as many of the appropriate sized envelopes as you like.

Only cabin stewards and dining room staff must have a cash tip turned in to be verified that the passenger did not cancel or reduce the auto-tip.

Others, including bar personnel, do not have to do this.

true. but in an envelope?

ok. so then if I want to give an auto tip and an additional tip to my room steward or waitstaff, you folks are saying that I can't just give "a padded palm" handshake when I leave, as I usully do? Instead I should place the $$ in an envelope first?

I don't want to put any employee in an awkward position yet I DO want to reward exceptional service personally when they deserve it......

As others have moaned, this is a never ending topic. sorry to continue beating the dead horse. LoL. .:rolleyes:....

I'm going to ask staff myself on my upcoming cruise!! that way I will know for sure one way or another. hahaha :)

Bon Voyage Everyone!

~Craving A Cruise

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you don't handle you gratuities the way you want to but if you are giving the "padded palm" to your waitstaff or cabin steward they probably know your cabin number and will put it in an envelop themselves. If they don't they won't last long and there is no downside for them if you have left the auto-tip on and have given them additional. They will get the additional back.

I'm new to Princess and will be going on several ship excursions in a few weeks. If I can go on a bit of a tangent on this thread, I had a few questions about Princess excursion tips and currency:

• In the FAQs, Princess suggests a tip to the tour guide of $1 for a half-day tour and $3.50 for a full day per person. Is that the amount most of you follow, no matter what the cost of the excursion?

• Do you tip anything to the driver also?

• Do you use US dollars, or the currency of the country you are in?

Thanks for any help on this!

-- MJ

You do realize that the person you are sneaking cash tips by the rules has to turn it over to the appropriate supervision until an accounting can be made to determine if you have removed the auto tips or not??? He/she is not allowed to hide the fact they received a tip from you. Doing so places them at risk of being fired.

That individual can do as they see fit although they usually just simply put it in their pocket. I NEVER give it to them when anyone can see eliminating the possibility of them being caught.

That individual can do as they see fit although they usually just simply put it in their pocket. I NEVER give it to them when anyone can see eliminating the possibility of them being caught.

Of course they put it in their pocket. What else are they going to do with it? Tape it to their forehead? :D

Whether you give it to them in secret, or in front of anyone, they still have to follow the procedures for such tips if they want to keep their jobs. They are not so stupid that they will go along with your surreptitious handling of these tips. These people work in close proximity with their workmates. Secrets are not easily kept when living for months at a time in such close quarters. Do you break the rules and risk getting fired where you work(ed)???

Of course they put it in their pocket. What else are they going to do with it? Tape it to their forehead? :D

It not that they just put it in their pocket, it's how they put it in especially when I tell them "this is only for you".

Whether you give it to them in secret, or in front of anyone, they still have to follow the procedures for such tips if they want to keep their jobs. They are not so stupid that they will go along with your surreptitious handling of these tips. These people work in close proximity with their workmates. Secrets are not easily kept when living for months at a time in such close quarters. Do you break the rules and risk getting fired where you work(ed)???

Obviously it goes unreported since they don't know my cabin number.

Maybe with the introduction of the Medallions they won't have to ask. (unless I don't carry it) ;)

I'm new to Princess and will be going on several ship excursions in a few weeks. If I can go on a bit of a tangent on this thread, I had a few questions about Princess excursion tips and currency:

• In the FAQs, Princess suggests a tip to the tour guide of $1 for a half-day tour and $3.50 for a full day per person. Is that the amount most of you follow, no matter what the cost of the excursion?

-- MJ

I was wondering about that myself after I read that recently on the Princess website. I have always given at least $5./per person, usually more for a half day excursion. The amount Princess lists is so far beneath what I have always done. I don't know what other people tip, but I'd love to hear about it.

Drivers, I just give $1. per person. And I only give USD since that is all I have carried. I do tell them I only have USD and ask if it is okay. They take it because that's all I have. If I had the currency for the country I was in, I'd give that instead.

So if a passenger customarily tips a set additional amount ($10, $20, $50, whatever) for the steward, waiters, bartenders, entertainers, can the payment be in form of, say, a Visa Gift Card for that amount? It's not a cash tip, and it would be difficult to split up into the gratuity pool. Just bring some pre-purchased gift cards and disperse them as you see fit. It should be accepted and welcomed worldwide.

Of course I could see some CC members get over-analytical with the dispensation of gratuities. If a steward forgets to bring ice one day, does that impact the amount of the tip? ("Sorry, you weren't as good as XXXX on the Crown Princess, and I gave him $25 that time, so you only get $22."):p

So if a passenger customarily tips a set additional amount ($10, $20, $50, whatever) for the steward, waiters, bartenders, entertainers, can the payment be in form of, say, a Visa Gift Card for that amount? It's not a cash tip, and it would be difficult to split up into the gratuity pool. Just bring some pre-purchased gift cards and disperse them as you see fit. It should be accepted and welcomed worldwide.

Of course I could see some CC members get over-analytical with the dispensation of gratuities. If a steward forgets to bring ice one day, does that impact the amount of the tip? ("Sorry, you weren't as good as XXXX on the Crown Princess, and I gave him $25 that time, so you only get $22."):p

This whole thing is getting out of hand. Here's what we do: On the last night we give an envelope with whatever we decide is just, to the cabin attendant/waiter/asst.waiter. We don't do it on the sly. We just hand it to them. We do put our cabin # on the envelope.

Um, no. They will not be able to use those types of cards in the ship's crew store nor will the purser cash the card for them. You would be forcing the crew member to spend their precious few hours off in port to find a merchant that takes them, or cash out from an ATM that charges a fee.

The most important thing to consider is that for the vast majority of crew members, any extra cash they come into is wired home to their families. Giving them an unbranded prepaid card is adding both an extra step and very likely an extra fee to that end.

Edited by fishywood

I would never give a Visa Gift card to anyone. Sure, they can be used almost anywhere in the US, but it loses value every month because there is a monthly maintenance fee associated with them. After a brief introductory period, the monthly fee will kick in until there is no more value on the card. $3.95 per month is a typical fee.

Plus, a Visa Gift card bought in the US can only be used in the US. This is per Visa's rules.

But I suspect you already knew that and only suggested giving one of these to agitate the discussion. :D

-- MJ

We usually give $2 per person to the guide and $2 p/p to the driver. Many tour guides simply pocket whatever they're handed and the driver (who has the more difficult job, and who has your life in his or her hands) gets shortchanged. Never had any problem with offering USD.

Grey

-- MJ

It's a guide. A tip is earned, not given. If you have a great experience tip whatever you feel like tipping. If you have a bad experience tip $0, nothing, nil, nada!

This whole thing is getting out of hand. Here's what we do: On the last night we give an envelope with whatever we decide is just, to the cabin attendant/waiter/asst.waiter. We don't do it on the sly. We just hand it to them. We do put our cabin # on the envelope.

I do the same for those folks (occasionally) but sometimes there are a few others (bar waiters, galley crew, baristas) who I prefer to do also in cash without the envelope.

Some of them actually go out of their way to provide us with extra services as we often give them small personal gifts during the cruise.

Items they can keep all for themselves or share if they prefer, but cannot be turned in.

They can do as they see fit with it.

Unfortunately, I can't say but they are well appreciated. I've never had anyone turn them down and many or the crew even ask me if I have additional as the word spread.

Can't say???? :confused::confused::confused: