Cancelled Rccl cruise on December 5th 2017 due to charter

This happened to us for an upcoming cruise we originally had booked for March 2017. With the sale of Legend of the Seas they had to cancel I think her last 3 sails. We were offered very similar options but lucky for us we ended up with a better cruise, we just had to cruise 6 weeks earlier. It wasn't a massive issue, we just had to reorganise leave but we had plenty of time to do that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Righto, perhaps they are going to investigate the reef while they are up there.:rolleyes:

Seems to happen a lot and not just with the cruise industry. A friend had her land air combo trip cancelled 3 months out no comp offered and today she has found out a Europe river cruise in May has been cancelled. The only comp was an upgrade on the next departure but nothing for extra nights hotels etc. Its all in the T&Cs and she is a lawyer and could not find a way around it.

Seems to happen a lot and not just with the cruise industry. A friend had her land air combo trip cancelled 3 months out no comp offered and today she has found out a Europe river cruise in May has been cancelled. The only comp was an upgrade on the next departure but nothing for extra nights hotels etc. Its all in the T&Cs and she is a lawyer and could not find a way around it.

The companies cover their proverbial very well.

I to had 2 cabins booked since August 2016 One balcony and 1 Promenade state rooms opposite each other for a 14 year old, dad and pensioner Gran parents. Plus we have to fly from the Far North Queensland. The compensation would not have even covered this cost.

Because of school exams and work commitments, the only 2 available sailings are December 3 and 15 for 9 nights, but same price plus gratuities. An Expensive time to fly!

Also because of a change of RCI policies, I now have to pay gratuities. I choose to have a early dinning and pay my own tipping which is always generous. I do not wish to be dictated to how much to tip, when there is no proof as to how this money is distributed.

Added to my whinges the travel agent I booked with did not send a email until 18th at 9pm. I have been a very good customer of this company and will never deal with them again, unless they are more helpful.

Let me know how the legal advice goes.

Miystic

Thanks for your feedback Re Legal Advice. I will be it getting through a family member so they there be no cost. I'm sure that legally they can do this but is it morally ok to dump your loyal customer for more money?

As this is just greed on behalf of RCI we need to hit them where it hurts the most. The public perception of their product and them as a company. They used the media very well to promote the arrival of their new ship and what they have to offer. TV shows and media junkets a plenty.

So now it's the media's turn to let the consumers know just what RCI is all about. How about a segment on ACA?

All large companies have departments that monitor social media for press that may affect how they look to their consumers. So RCI how about you reply to this link as I'm sure you watching it?

Hi, yes I am very interested to know where we stand legally but am not hopeful. We also have two bookings on the cruise so quite a dilemma for us to find alternatives. I am phoning Royal tomorrow to ask what their alleged "price protection" offered actually means?? Does anybody know if this means a lower price than is advertised on their website? We feel pressured to come up with alternatives now before January 26 th, so does not give us much time. I guess we don't like their like it or lump it attitude:(

Currently you have no legal recourse, most if not all cruise contracts say they can do it, and you agreed to the contract.

Now there are legal provisions regarding unfair contracts and one day someone may take them on, based on those.

Unfortunately organisations like the ACCC that should be protecting consumer rights have taken very little interest in the Cruise industry in Australia, probably because it is only a small portion of Aussies who cruise each year.

Hi, I am not sure if anyone can help but I just called the RCCL call centre re my options for this cancelled cruise and copped the rudest man in their customer service deparartment. Does anybody know the number for the Australian customer service for Royal? Thanks in advance:mad:

Hi, yes I am very interested to know where we stand legally but am not hopeful. We also have two bookings on the cruise so quite a dilemma for us to find alternatives. I am phoning Royal tomorrow to ask what their alleged "price protection" offered actually means?? Does anybody know if this means a lower price than is advertised on their website? We feel pressured to come up with alternatives now before January 26 th, so does not give us much time. I guess we don't like their like it or lump it attitude:(

I believe price protection refers to that they will offer you the same price as you paid for your existing cabin, in one of the suggested sailings for the same grade as you had (as long as within the period they've said to contact them). e.g. if you switch from an E1 to an E1 category, it will be the same price (unless the current price is less, in which case you pay less).

Hi, I am not sure if anyone can help but I just called the RCCL call centre re my options for this cancelled cruise and copped the rudest man in their customer service deparartment. Does anybody know the number for the Australian customer service for Royal? Thanks in advance:mad:

It's all done through 1800 754 500.

With the offers RCL are advertising up to a $400. OBC. The cruise is also 1 day less so will that be included if I rebook. We have sailed quite a lot and never had this situation.

RCL are not very generous in the alternatives.

Is it confirmed the fact the Politicans will be on the charter sailing on our tax payers expense?.

I will ring tomorrow and hope I get a helpful agent.

With the offers RCL are advertising up to a $400. OBC. The cruise is also 1 day less so will that be included if I rebook. We have sailed quite a lot and never had this situation.

RCL are not very generous in the alternatives.

Is it confirmed the fact the Politicans will be on the charter sailing on our tax payers expense?.I will ring tomorrow and hope I get a helpful agent.

I can neither confirm or deny that the charter includes politicians but if there are any aboard, chances are they will be claiming something.:(

I spoke to RCCL today and the prices they offered on alternative cruises were at current pricing as per the website. I guess we will just have to accept their offer which expired today but they agreed to an extension until Friday, the only benefit is an extra $200 OBC.:mad:

The Media would like this, well at least those who dislike the cruise industry and pollies.

Better ring Kochie, someone.

Put the pollies on a Sydney Harbour Ferry and give 'em a warm can of VB and a cold Mrs Macs pie, good enough for 'em.

Edited by NSWP

Has anyone heard who has chartered it yet?

When we did our Alaska cruise the next sailing had ben chartered by GM for their sales staff from all over America . No doubt they had to attend seminars and product launch. Oh well thems the breaks:D

Has anyone heard who has chartered it yet?

When we did our Alaska cruise the next sailing had ben chartered by GM for their sales staff from all over America . No doubt they had to attend seminars and product launch. Oh well thems the breaks:D

Certainly not pollies :)

I spoke to RCCL today and the prices they offered on alternative cruises were at current pricing as per the website. I guess we will just have to accept their offer which expired today but they agreed to an extension until Friday, the only benefit is an extra $200 OBC.:mad:

I don't know what else you can really do apart from taking what you can get and making it work for you. The alternative is to cancel the lot and get the full refund.

Cancellation of future cruises can happen at any time.

I was just reading about Crystal Cruises. They have had to cancel 3 weeks as a drydock for one of their ships will take longer than expected.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2448624

Cancellations and changed itineraries, are par for the course however, they still create disappointment when they occur to the cruise you have booked or are on.

Cancellations and changed itineraries, are par for the course however, they still create disappointment when they occur to the cruise you have booked or are on.

Yep and if you don't like the offers made and feel strongly enough, you can always cancel for a full refund and book on another cruise line. Otherwise I think it is a matter of 'suck it up'.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Cancellation of future cruises can happen at any time.

I was just reading about Crystal Cruises. They have had to cancel 3 weeks as a drydock for one of their ships will take longer than expected.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2448624

But I see a big difference between cancelling for mechanical reasons, delayed in drydock etc to oh well we got a better offer (to charter the whole ship).

If it was me, I think I would cancel for a full refund on principle. Moving to another cruise lets them think that they can get away with it and probably encourages them to do more of it. I'm sure the beancounters factor in the costs and income when they consider a new charter.

I would probably also consider lodging a complaint under our consumer laws. Even if it was rejected, it would raise the ante. http://www.thymac.com.au/2016/07/14/cruising-along-clause-forfeiting-fare-cancelled-cruise-unfair/

I have annual travel insurance (needed for work and it is cheaper than buying policies each time we travel) so any additional costs would be covered.

Edited by lucymorgan