Potential Silversea "newbies"

Mudhen

I am a Silverseas newbie and looking forward to it. I will be cruising on The Spirit from Barcelona to Rome in August:D

After 15 years of sailing Mass Market, this should be an awesome experience:D...but I have done 1 River cruise out

of Amsterdam...that was only about 150 passengers:ship:;)

Trying to read up on Silverseas.......any input would be great:D

We started out with the Wind back in 2012 after 17 years on Holland America. It was a chance choice based on having become disenchanted with HAL. We knew we wanted to try a luxury line but had no preference. Just happened that Silversea had a great itinerary at the right time for the right price. After that cruise we were hooked and have done four more cruises on the Wind and one on the Spirit. We maybe like the Wind better but probably more because that was our first but ours cruise the Spirit tomorrow if we could. We love the small ships, the staff, the service, and the mix of passengers. To us it's more like a floating country club than a hotel, more a Four Seasons than a Marriott. Will say if you're looking for huge atriums with sweeping marble staircases and lots of glitz then you might be disappointed. If you like comfortable, relaxed, and intiment surroundings you'll do well.

• 1 month later...

Everyone can read the published dress codes; however, on most lines in this age, any presentable sports coat (light or dark) and a tie fits right in without looking out of place? Is this true of not true on Silversea? I am traveling Europe with weight limits on airlines and will have to buy and throw away whatever it is I need.

I did my first Silverseas cruise with a sport coat and tie and felt a little out of place. No one said anything but I felt a little out of place on formal night. On subsequent cruises I opted for a dark suit and felt I fit right in. After 20 + years of wearing a suit and tie at work I didn't want to wear a tie but now it feels right and adds an unexpected ambiance on a cruise! Guess I conformed but always looking forward to my next cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On recent cruises, both Silversea and Seabourn,saw many wearing blazer, white shirt and tie on formal nights. No one questioned their attire and, quite frankly, I didn't think they looked out of place. Just my opinion.

Both those lines are great and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either one.

One my last SS cruise, in the Med, a gentleman wearing a sports coat felt out of place on formal night (his wife told us) and left to eat in his room. His wife was resplendent in a blingy pantsuit and joined us for dinner. If your cruise is in Alaska or the Caribbean more people dress informally on formal nights. In the Med, men tend to wear a suit and tie, and many wear tuxes or dinner jackets.

Everyone can read the published dress codes; however, on most lines in this age, any presentable sports coat (light or dark) and a tie fits right in without looking out of place? Is this true of not true on Silversea? I am traveling Europe with weight limits on airlines and will have to buy and throw away whatever it is I need.
What airline do you fly that restricts your luggage weight so drastically that you have to buy clothes and throw them away? I have never encountered what you describe, so just want to be sure I don't ever fly whatever airline you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What airline do you fly that restricts your luggage weight so drastically that you have to buy clothes and throw them away? I have never encountered what you describe, so just want to be sure I don't ever fly whatever airline you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have to agree and wonder myself. We fly a lot for work and personal travel and never been faced with disposing of clothing to make weight restrictions. We manage to get back and forth to Europe with sufficient and appropriate clothing to meet Silversea's dress code. Now we don't exactly try to cruise with only one carry on bag each like some and probably overpack a bit in terms of number of bags we take (a 25" suitcase and large rolling garment bag each) but it works for us. Only once in all our travels has Mrs K had to pay an overweight fee and that was a business trip when she had some heavy binders in her checked luggage. The $50 fee was a lot less expensive than throwing away clothing to make the weight limit.

We do love to cruise.We have sailed on the Wind twice and the Cloud once before so the small ships are much to our liking.This was not the same ship.I am happy that they have fixed the problems .The ship was in a sorry state and SS should have dry docked much sooner.We always try and have a good time .The main reason to travel,but when it is hot outside and your cabin is hot it is difficult to be comfortable.When people are banging the door next to you at all times that is not acceptable.That was SS decision to use that cabin for storage. I am not going to discourage anyone for sailing with SS but I personally am not sure if we will. CC is for information I gave our experience. I am happy when others have not experienced the issues we had.I have only stated the truth people can make up their own minds about sailing.

Happy Sailing.

When was it you last sailed on the Wind?

I'm aware there had been air con problems on both the Cloud and Wind. (I experienced it on the cloud so know first hand.)

Having just got off the wind 2 days ago, I can definitely state the Air Con is working just fine. In fact it was too cold we had to increase the temperature!

As for luggage - we cut back from 2 suit cases each to 1 1/2 each this time. I came hope with so many unworn clothes it was silly. Especially as it cost us £65 out and £60 back for the extra case. I've learnt from this and will take far less and pay for dry cleaning next time if needed.

Stumblefoot, tracking me are you?! [emoji6][emoji568]I know I have been remiss about posting but it will get done over the next 2 weeks. We have been on the larger ships for a few years. I forgot how much I loved the Wind, warm, cozy and great crew. We have already booked the holidays on the Wind this year. What is not to like? OK, the bathrooms are small. Who goes on a cruise because of the bathrooms?! If this ship is not satisfactory, you do not like to cruise! P.S. I do not like the decor either. Would that send me to SB, Regent, Cunard or whomever? Nope. Please try it and form your own opinion! Bon Voyage!

Thanks for the comments. We are booked on the Wind in December. We are long time Sea Dream cruisers and are looking forward to a larger ship. If the only issue is bathroom size then we have no concerns because I can assure you that any bathroom is larger than the ones on Sea Dream.