Taxis & Uber On Our December 2016/January 2017 Stay In Miami

Keith1010

Yea I looked up the estimator online and got it.

The thing with Uber is you pay per car, not per person. So even if you were to take someone else with you, it'd be the same cost. You're right, you won't have to share.

Thanks so much!

My husband and I just recently used Lyft (which is basically the same as Uber) for the first time last month, after having the same reluctance. It was so easy and we had the nicest drivers and very clean cars both times. I highly recommend using one of these services when you have the need. We will never use a regular taxi again! Everything is handled through the app, including the fare and the tip.

I have the Uber app on my iPhone. Does the Uber app use my cell phone, iMessage, or do I need to turn on cellular service?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you can connect to wifi you can use it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure if we could order Uber when we get off our cruise at Port Everglades. Sounds like we can without a problem. Definitely much better and less $$$ than Taxi's. We did have 1 Uber last Sept. that wasn't real familiar with the area. Got there, but took a little extra time. Now, before we go anywhere, I check the route on google maps, so I know which way we should be going, and keep an eye on the driver. ust to be sure.

Edited by debshomespun

Just saw this on another site

http://themusterstation.com/uber-cruise-port-shuttle/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That Uber price from FLL to the port is incorrect.

Also, instead of actually using Uber from each airport to port, it looks like they just did estimates which are also inaccurate.

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks Keith for sharing your experience. And from that I will try Uber for my next cruise out of Port Everglades on March 26.

I'm from Calgary,AB, Canada where they don't allow Uber to operate. Which is a shame. So will try it first time when I land at FLL

One question. I assume Uber is like taxi where you can request a larger vehicle like a minivan to take 6 people? We will only have 3 luggage so a minivan or a full size SUV would work.

Hanna

Thanks Keith for sharing your experience. And from that I will try Uber for my next cruise out of Port Everglades on March 26.

I'm from Calgary,AB, Canada where they don't allow Uber to operate. Which is a shame. So will try it first time when I land at FLL

One question. I assume Uber is like taxi where you can request a larger vehicle like a minivan to take 6 people? We will only have 3 luggage so a minivan or a full size SUV would work.

Hanna

You would need to order an Uber XL, they typically cost about 135% what a regular Uber will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also from Canada and no Uber in our area either. We used Uber in Palm Springs this past fall and loved that you could see where your Uber was, who your driver would be, what he was driving, how much the fare would be, and that it was simply charged to your cc up front. The whole experience made taking a taxi seem ridiculously outdated. In some areas we hear that there is a lot of animosity toward Uber from taxi companies and drivers. (I don't blame them but taxi companies need to direct their energy toward the regulations that prevent them from competing). That being said, if we were to take an Uber from Miami airport will we have to brave a gauntlet of irate cabbies?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would like to use uber to the POM from the car rental drop off (not at the airport). Never used uber before. Do I book ahead of time or do I do as soon as we get to the car rental place? How long does it take for a ride to show up? We will need Uber XL. Does that take longer?

Thanks

I would like to use uber to the POM from the car rental drop off (not at the airport). Never used uber before. Do I book ahead of time or do I do as soon as we get to the car rental place? How long does it take for a ride to show up? We will need Uber XL. Does that take longer?

Thanks

Book when you're ready to ride. Typically a ride is there in around 5 minutes. It may take a little longer depending on where the nearest driver is.

Our experience with Uber - and one of the main reasons I am such a fan - is that as soon as you need them, and you type in where you are and where you want to go - the app will show you what vehicles are in your vicinity. It will show you the vehicle location on a map, the make model and color, a photo and name of the driver and the cost. When you accept and select your driver, the driver gets the same info about you. Its a great system; efficient and convenient. Now the few times we Uber we simply wanted to go from point a to b; just the two of us, no luggage. It may be different if your requirements are more complicated. I do know if for example you need several large SUVs to transport multiple passengers they can be booked in advance. So I imagine you could also book in advance if you are more comfortable with that.

Thanks

In FLL, it took us probably less than 10 minutes.

Thanks

The thing with Uber is you cannot book ahead of time. You have to book when you are ready.

How long depends on time of day and location.

When we used it we were in downtown Miami Hotel and received an acknowledgement in less then one minute and driver there within minutes.

Keith

Love Uber! One important piece of information, do NOT turn your phone off, it must stay on for the entire ride, that's how the information and amount is charged to your credit card. No need to tip either, they are paid from Uber!

The thing with Uber is you cannot book ahead of time. You have to book when you are ready.

How long depends on time of day and location.

When we used it we were in downtown Miami Hotel and received an acknowledgement in less then one minute and driver there within minutes.

Keith

Just an fyi---for Lyft you can book in advance--you set up a pickup time and the window is 15 minutes. We set it up this past December to be picked up between 4:00-4:15AM--driver was there right on time.

Also with Lyft, you can add the gratuity onto your credit card--Uber drivers must get cash for gratuity.

I've used both--just used Uber in Houston Thursday (Houston does not have Lyft yet).

Service and pricing are excellent with both Uber and Lyft--like both.

Just an fyi---for Lyft you can book in advance--you set up a pickup time and the window is 15 minutes. We set it up this past December to be picked up between 4:00-4:15AM--driver was there right on time.

Also with Lyft, you can add the gratuity onto your credit card--Uber drivers must get cash for gratuity.

Was not aware of that. More convenient fo us.