Celebrity Reflection January 14 to 21 2017

Bimmer09

I'm waiting for the car dealer to call me and for Youtube to upload the Segway video which has already taken One Hour....

So I'll press on with a few more pics from South Beach. One facet of life there I won't show is the number of homeless younger than usual people sleeping in the parks during the daytime and in doorways at night as of course I would be out and about with the cameras at 5 a.m next morning. Tanned bejeweled people drive by in cars costing 100 to 500 thousand dollars but these folks for whatever reason are living outdoors and wheeling their wardrobe around in rolling luggage as opposed to the usual shopping carts. I gave away a couple of cigarettes but no one asked me for money.

Carol chose all of our excursions for this cruise and the Segway was her idea but of course I was excited by it. I made the arrangements to meet our guide Mike at 2 pm. It was $95 each in cash only and there would be only two of us which I liked most of all.

He was there at 2pm by the hotel and soon we were off without crash helmets which was fine by me as I wasn't planning to crash. I wore a Go Pro Hero 3 on my wrist to capture the ride.

We stopped for a photo opportunity at the beach during our ride along the sea front. My sunglasses were in my camera bag. Doh!

32273759252_5344b2a6d1_b.jpg

It was warm and windy

32273749172_62d7b78e63_b.jpg

We rode on the footpath trafficked by pedestrians, skateboarders, people on electric scooters, weaving in and out. We drove on grass avoiding the palm trees and sleeping people and drove on the streets with cars and pedestrians to watch out for. Mike kept up a commentary to Carol who was riding closest to him. I rode shotgun so I could slow down and then put on a burst of speed and do some slalom practice as I feel very at home on these machines.

Along the Art Deco district music was blasting out of cafes and restaurants and the street had been closed off as it was (surprise to us!) Art Deco weekend and the place was mobbed.The smell of sizzling meats filled the air as there were little stands serving appetizing munchies. We rode through the thousands of people without running anyone over.

To be continued....

Norris

My goal is to have this done in 4 weeks but I have to do battle with (a) wi fi signals (b) Flickr © iMovie (d) work.

I have a ton of photos to work on in Lightroom as I shot everything on RAW files this time and rarely used the auto mode on my cameras. I am pleased with the results so far and the extra effort is proving worthwhile. I spent an hour yesterday on one photo as I am no expert in Photoshop-the one of the ship with the name reflected.

Stay for the long haul if you can and thanks for reading this far.

Norris

How fortunate for us that you hope to finish your review in the next 4 weeks because that is when we will be boarding for our first time on the Reflection(February 18 & February 25) as well our first B2B. I'm sure your review and photos will help us get a jump start on enjoying our cruise! Thanks in advance for all the info you give us in preparation! (I'm loving your photos.)

Ruth

Looking foward to your thoughts on Luminae since we are in a sky suite and will have access to it. Also, what you think of Michael's club. Hopefully you'll get that far in your posting before we sail on Saturday.

We enjoyed your posting about Silhouette last year because we did the same cruise and loved hearing your input.

Norris,

Very much looking forward to your review of the Reflection. I didn't see your Star Princess review until a couple of weeks ago, and I just finished reading it on Friday, so it's great to continue on without getting any Norris review "withdrawals".

I've been a lurker on your reviews for a while, and since there seemed to be a large number of lurkers on your Star Princess review that came out, I decided to do it on this one (and it looks like I'm the first one to come out on this review)!

We are very much Celebrity and Princess fans as well, with the majority of our cruises being between these two lines. Our first cruise in 1994 was on the Star Princess, although it was Princess' previous Star Princess that was launched in 1989 I believe. Our first Celebrity cruise followed in 1996 on the Zenith.

Can't wait to find out whether your second Celebrity cruise was as good as your first. I'm sure the Sunset Bar was home to a large part of your week. Just an awesome place to spend time!

I know both Carol and you work hard to bring these reviews to everyone, and that is why they are tops in my book! Your pictures and stories can't be beat.

Thanks....or should I say Cheers!

Bruce

jules815...

greetings from your neighbor in Schaumburg! I will be on Reflection shortly!!!

Hi lola2013!

This will be our second time sailing with Celebrity and our first time on a Solstice Class ship.

Would love to hear how you like Reflection. I've been doing my research and can't wait.

Could you grab some pics of specialty restaurants lunch menus when they are open for lunch ? Thanks ! I can't find the LCG Lunch menu anywhere or the Murnao's/TG ones.

Thanks a lot we are on Reflection in March

Looking foward to your thoughts on Luminae since we are in a sky suite and will have access to it. Also, what you think of Michael's club. Hopefully you'll get that far in your posting before we sail on Saturday.

We enjoyed your posting about Silhouette last year because we did the same cruise and loved hearing your input.

I'll get to Luminae Saturday if the fates (mainly Youtube) are with me!

You read my "Silly" review (literally) so you know I wasn't impressed by Luminae and nor was Carol. We tried it again....

Norris, Master of Suspense.

Could you grab some pics of specialty restaurants lunch menus when they are open for lunch ? Thanks ! I can't find the LCG Lunch menu anywhere or the Murnao's/TG ones.

I'm no longer on the ship and we didn't eat lunch at any of the Specialties so am unable to help you. LCG I believe is big burgers and fries for $10. I mainly ate lunch in the Oceanview Cafe (buffet)

Norris

I don't think one should be able to fly in first class until they reach a period of time when they don't scream and can sit still, play games and smile! :eek: Now I realize that some of us seniors still haven't been able to do that yet!

Can't wait for the rest of your review, as we don't sail on the TA Reflection until April 22...

Edited by Lastdance

Hello, "dgparent."

There is a post, on another thread, in which the member provides three links -- one to the Lawn Club Grill's late 2016 luncheon menu ($10) and two to photos of the huge burgers received. Here is a link to that post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51531850&postcount=6

All my chores are done-car picked up from the dealership (Perillo BMW for any Chicagoans reading) new eyeglasses picked up and the rented camera and lens returned via UPS. Picked up a week's worth of mail.

I gave up on the first Youtube Segway video after it was only 50% loaded in 2 hours of waiting. So there is another one on it's journey to oblivion as we speak

and it's our slowest section where we are driving among the pedestrians with the music playing and the food stalls-it'll give you a flavor of South Beach maybe.

Here's a few pics from the tour....

This is a cool guy called Mike who owns the business and rides a Segway with no handlebars which he let me ride for a short while. You steer it by shifting your weight and it is a dream to maneuver.

32046891410_4a05685d1a_b.jpg

32303967901_9543e21cdf_b.jpg

This model without the handlebar costs $10K while the ones we were riding cost $6.5

32273817742_674b330cdd_b.jpg

Mike stopped to show us the house owned by Gianni Versace before he was shot to death on the steps after going out to get his morning newspaper in 1997.

32046910940_fe79ea2a8d_b.jpg

31613359903_73e80a3bbf_b.jpg

Norris

Yay. You're back! Me and my glass of wine will be eagerly settling in for this next review. Been looking forward to this ever since your Silo review last year. That one was wonderful, as we took the same voyage just 2-3 months later.

Now we embark on a similar itinerary (albeit it on Silo again vs Reflection) in April. I think I just may wait until I see what your next cruise will be before I book another of my own. I like following in your wake. :D

(I still have your Alaska reviews bookmarked to read, as our 1st will be on Ruby next year.)

Edited by Flafun888

Halfway through our ride we came to the channel that we would be sailing down tomorrow on the Reflection. I hadn't sailed down this stretch of water since 1986 when I did 44 cruises as a drummer on Royal Caribbean's Song of Norway-the ship that launched the brand in 1970. We did the Western Caribbean week in and week out-my longest stretch was 32 weeks on board in 1986 when Labadee was introduced and added to our familiar Cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Cayman so this cruise on the Reflection marked my 46th time in Cozumel, my 45th in Cayman and my 45th in Jamaica (but then it was Ocho Rios) and my 33rd in Labadee (my how that has grown!!)

32273802742_5f3f65612f_b.jpg

32424869735_d1c7182ae3_b.jpg

32424897215_9e52990be8_b.jpg

32273811542_bb6e7759cf_b.jpg

There is no one on this planet you call Earth who loves ships more than I do. My dad was the Captain of a cargo ship in Northern Ireland and I have been around ships since I was 5 years old.

I stared into the distance,memories flooding back and I imagined the Reflection sailing toward me....soon we would be on it!! Hooray!! I was happy and why not? A cruise just a day away....having a cigarette in the warm breeze of Miami, ships passing by my grinning face, my trusty Segway resting under a tree, the best of company in Carol and Mike, the promise of a slap-up feed in Joe's and going to bed in the Ritz Carlton.

Norris

No stress when you fly in a day before and stay a day after.

Norris....

Present and accounted for! Looking forward to following along...

Chris-most welcome guest and long-time friend. Please, pull up a hammock and have some of this fine cyber rum! Oh, wait-I've drained the barrel! Oops! Plenty more where that came from.

Norris, on the phone to Myers

Welcome Home Norris and Carol!

I knew your trip was in January but wasn't sure of the date. I have been patiently waiting for this as your reviews allow me to enjoy a "fantasy" cruise through your adventures.

I am ready so lets geaux (go)! :D

Sandra

Sandra it's full steam ahead and batten down the hatches from here on in!

Happy to see you again!

Norris

Welcome Home Norris!

NOT :D

Been waiting for your review since we were land locked this year.

You make us feel like we were there with you.

EW

Glad to have you aboard! Once I get on the ship I will hit my stride as I always get a rush from being on a big ship and there is none more beautiful to me than an S Class vessel.

Cheers!

Norris

After the Segway ride it was 4pm and while Carol went to our room I went out on a photo safari nearby to see some of the buildings.

All of the non-zoom pics in this review were taken on the Canon 6D for the photographers among you.

The Berkeley Shore hotel undergoing renovation

32424962545_ff6e41402a_b.jpg

32273872482_3b21fbdd5e_b.jpg

31613403413_850292baa9_b.jpg

32273882242_bd39ca2590_b.jpg

32273889502_7d7364be47_b.jpg

32385188586_9d8c6b5a04_b.jpg