Celebrity Reflection January 14 to 21 2017

Bimmer09

Hi Norris,

I actually marked this on my calendar awhile back so I wouldn't forget to check the Celebrity Board today for your review. I'm more than ready for it, since I don't have a cruise planned for this year (yet!). I've found myself a nice spot along the virtual upper deck railing, and will be enjoying every bit of your cruise from there.

John

John I believe you have featured in every review I have done and I think this is number 12. Glad to have you along, as always!

Cheers and welcome!

Norris

I get a Scarface feeling when I review the Art Deco buildings. Am I nuts? Is it the Sea Breeze I am having (fully in anticipation of March 4 trip on Reflection)?? Thanks for showing me what not to miss and everything along the way.

Sincerely,

Addicted to Norris

aka Kimberly aka Golfwife 1

don't want to interrupt the thread...but we have done Equinox and Solstice and they were fabulous!

We were on the Equinox with you a few years ago. Miss cruising again with you by a week or two

Debbie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Norris

I knew it was about time for your report I have been looking forward to it to get me ready to leave in 60 days for our cruise on the Royal. The photos are great! I think you need to bite the bullet and buy the full frame camera. I did early last year and have not regretted it except the drain on the pocket book to get higher quality of glass.

I also really like the shots of the Art Deco buildings, architecture is kind of my thing to help support my addiction to Nikon, sorry I know you are a Canon guy.

FYI non cruise related but I know you like New Mexico and being a Canon guy

you need to go to Albuquerque for the Balloon Festia, Canon sponsors it and has a large display and you can play around and use some of the big lenses. Plus did I mention lots and I mean lots of balloons, like hundreds. Darth Vader included. I went last year and am going again this year and yes going to ride in one this time! GoPro time, baby! You have inspired me with the Segway videos.

Noris,

Just thought that I would check out your Reflection "Reflection" as I saw your invite from the Alaska Review Thread.

Happy Cruising!!!

Mark

P.S. I used the Joby Gorilla on my recent 19 Day LA to LA Roundtrip on the Island Princess and it was great! I left my old camcorder filming from the balcony railing while I was out with the newer one filming at different locations on the ship. We got great footage in the locks and throughout the canal this way.

32304066281_66451f5596_b.jpg

32304071811_054600fa32_b.jpg

32385256616_e64115fb15_b.jpg

Royal Palm patio

32304082711_3149e61700_b.jpg

I was returning from my brief walk to meet Carol at the hotel so we could take a cab to Joe's Stone Crab for dinner. Stone Crab is probably Carol's favorite food.

We usually eat after 10 pm at home but today it would be 5 pm. Our last meal was some airport sandwiches on the flight down at 8.30 am so we were hungry.

Joe's despite being a huge restaurant has lines after 7 pm so we wanted to beat the rush and eat when their dinner service starts at 5.

I'm returning to work today after being gone for 12 days so will continue with our story early this evening. As I write Youtube is finally loading the Segway video and once it does that it will clear the decks for the Joe's video.

Norris

Norris

I knew it was about time for your report I have been looking forward to it to get me ready to leave in 60 days for our cruise on the Royal. The photos are great! I think you need to bite the bullet and buy the full frame camera. I did early last year and have not regretted it except the drain on the pocket book to get higher quality of glass.

I also really like the shots of the Art Deco buildings, architecture is kind of my thing to help support my addiction to Nikon, sorry I know you are a Canon guy.

FYI non cruise related but I know you like New Mexico and being a Canon guy

you need to go to Albuquerque for the Balloon Festia, Canon sponsors it and has a large display and you can play around and use some of the big lenses. Plus did I mention lots and I mean lots of balloons, like hundreds. Darth Vader included. I went last year and am going again this year and yes going to ride in one this time! GoPro time, baby! You have inspired me with the Segway videos.

Hi and thanks for the comments on the architecture photos. We do a leisurely walking tour of them after the cruise so there will be more pics to come at the end.

I use Canon but it could just as easily have been Nikon. I actually have a 30 year old Nikon SLR film camera but gave up film years ago. I hope to have the Canon 6D by the time of our next cruise which is in_____? I don't need one until then.

I began my upgrading by adding an L lens to my current camera the Canon T3i.

The Full frame camera's ability to see better in low light via high ISO is what I value the most as I take pictures in the dark a lot, especially early in the morning. I also committed to shooting RAW files this trip and that has worked out well too. Lightroom remains my savior.

Yes we'll get to the Albuquerque Ballon Fest at some point. We did hot air ballooning there when there were only 5 balloons aloft and that was impressive.

Cheers!

Norris

Yay. You're back! Me and my glass of wine will be eagerly settling in for this next review. Been looking forward to this ever since your Silo review last year. That one was wonderful, as we took the same voyage just 2-3 months later.

Now we embark on a similar itinerary (albeit it on Silo again vs Reflection) in April. I think I just may wait until I see what your next cruise will be before I book another of my own. I like following in your wake. :D

(I still have your Alaska reviews bookmarked to read, as our 1st will be on Ruby next year.)

We don't have anymore cruises booked (yet) for 2017 but we are free to take one as we didn't get tickets for this year's Bayreuth Festival in August.

We booked two X cruises while onboard the Reflection but they are in 2018- Silhouette to Norway and 2019 Equinox on a new Caribbean itinerary.

Canada and New England might be a possibility this October with Princess.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Norris

I was so happy to get the invite from the Princess boards! I'm looking forward to reading your review. Looking at a X cruise Winter 2017. Also looking at sailing out of Miami- Looking forward to seeing your views- we have always stayed in Fort Lauderdale.

Cheers!

Gabrielle

Bimmer...loving your review! I know Perillo well; my brother bought a beemer from there and we work across the street from the Caddy dealer in Schaumburg. Also, if you are thinking about Princess for Canada/New England, I give it thumbs up. Did it several years ago on Caribbean Princess. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate... beautiful days, but only one leaf had turned in September. I think I saw more fall colors on the drive through Busse Woods on the way to the airport.

DJSchib...wow, we meet again!

Golfwife1 and Cruisekrazykaze...see you guys in 39 days as we board Reflection.

Susan

We booked two X cruises while onboard the Reflection but they are in 2018- Silhouette to Norway and 2019 Equinox on a new Caribbean itinerary.

Canada and New England might be a possibility this October with Princess.

Norris

Following your journey again Norris!

So, the fact that you've booked two more X cruises must mean that you are hooked and had another great experience. ;) We're considering Norway also. Which sailing did you book?

Kim :)

I see you are contemplating a Canada/New England cruise.

I hope you pick the cruise that includes Sydney, Nova Scotia, that way you'd be on Cape Breton Island and a must see tour would be the Cabot Trail. I would suggest October so the colors should be beautiful.

After the Segway ride it was 4pm and while Carol went to our room I went out on a photo safari nearby to see some of the buildings.

All of the non-zoom pics in this review were taken on the Canon 6D for the photographers among you.

The Berkeley Shore hotel undergoing renovation

32424962545_ff6e41402a_b.jpg

32273872482_3b21fbdd5e_b.jpg

31613403413_850292baa9_b.jpg

32273882242_bd39ca2590_b.jpg

32273889502_7d7364be47_b.jpg

32385188586_9d8c6b5a04_b.jpg

Working on learning more about cameras! What lens? You listed earlier your camera body was EOS rebel T3i.

I am interested in the Cannon 10 - 22 lens and its capability.

-------

Also, what a great story about being a drummer on Royal Caribbean.

We are planning to eat at Seaside on our next trip to Fort Lauderdale when we get on Silhouette!!! I am with you on crab from your Silhouette trip report!

Edited by shipshape sam