6AM Track Opens

bkpjlp

How strict is the 6AM opening of the track each morning? I naturally wake at 4:30AM and would love to start my workout right away instead of laying awake in bed. If anything, can I go out to a deck and do body weight exercises to kill time before I can start my run?

One more question - is it safe to assume there are showers in the fitness center if I decide to shower there after a workout to free up valuable bathroom space in our cabin?

BK - you can run on the track, but it will be low light and perhaps dewy. You will need to keep your eyes open for shipmates (yes, some folks party late) and crew using the same space to get here and there. Unless you have a spa pass (if open at that time), no shower for you and the pools will be closed (water features d/c too).

Deck chairs will be stacked at that time so squat, pull, push, jack til sunrise. I'd be sleeping :)

How strict is the 6AM opening of the track each morning? I naturally wake at 4:30AM and would love to start my workout right away instead of laying awake in bed. If anything, can I go out to a deck and do body weight exercises to kill time before I can start my run?

One more question - is it safe to assume there are showers in the fitness center if I decide to shower there after a workout to free up valuable bathroom space in our cabin?

You didn't specify the ship, but I'd hate to be trying to sleep in a cabin under the jogging track with people running it at 5am! :eek:

Granted, though, most of the time the jogging track is above other public spaces, not cabins.

Which ship? Which deck? What is below that deck?

You may well find that the track is not open till later and that they clearly monitor it if there are complaints from people in staterooms below.

On the Sun in South America we were not allowed to walk round the promenade before the appointed 8am in case we disturbed the other guests. Absolutely stupid as they power washed the deck there before I wanted to walk at 6am!! The stern was roped off and I had to go through the ship.

On the Star from Rome to Singapore it took a couple of days before we were able to stop someone running leaden footed on deck 13 well before 6am disturbing a number of people on 12.

Thanks for the responses! There are no cabins around and it looks like the fitness center is below it, so I shouldn't disturb anyone. I can't wait to take in an amazing sunrise while running!

Follow the posted rules on the ship. Do not violate the rules.

You're on a cruise. Sleep in and go eat 4 stickybuns for breakfast.

Every cruise I bring work out clothes and every cruise they come home unused. I do have good intentions but just cant bring myself to put them on;)

Thanks for asking the question. I am a power walker and wake up at between early to hit the streets... er deck. I have asked the crew if it is a problem and they have always said no, so long as I am courteous and cautious. Just need to mindful that you watch for cabins under the track and be mindful of the crew working or others just hanging out. Waking up and walking in the morning is my drug. Its my time. It makes my whole day better. As for going during the day that doesn't work because 1) DH and DS say that it family time and its not fair to them and 2) much prefer to do it when as few people are around because really hate getting the stares and comments from others.

To the OP -

I am not sure of what NCL ship you are sailing on for your vacation.

But,on the Breakaway, the track is in an odd place.

The restaurant, I think it is now Margaritaville is adjacent to the track. Often,people exit from the restaurant right on to the track.

Less considerate passengers have been known to stand on the track,discussimg where or what they will go to next without regard for walkers or runners.

Also, deck chairs are placed near the track as well as the rock wall.

It can be a congested area.

I would suggest if you have such a track location,that you use it as early as possible to avoid the non-runners and non-walkers.

However,the track can be wet in the early AM as someone has mentioned.

On the Breakaway, the fitness center is divided into two sections by a hallway.

Treadmills etc are on one side, weight machines etc on the other. I did not notice any shower facilities nearby.

You can walk/run on the Waterfront deck.

It is a U shaped walkway,so you will be changing direction.It is not a full go -around space.

Also,smokers congregate at the Maltings outside bar area for morning coffee and a cig.

I applaud you for trying to maintain an exercise routine on a cruise.

My DH and I have been taking cruise vacations for over thirty years. We have always tried to get in our morning walk and have used the stairs ,not the elevators.

In our mid 60's now, we continue our walks and use the stairs to go down to the decks.

Going up on the stairs is limited to creaky knees,but we keep moving !

Check the ship's deck plans so you know where the walking deck is and what is around it.

Enjoy the cruise !

How strict is the 6AM opening of the track each morning? I naturally wake at 4:30AM and would love to start my workout right away instead of laying awake in bed.

One more question - is it safe to assume there are showers in the fitness center

if I decide to shower there after a workout to free up valuable bathroom space in our cabin?

IMHO

Since you give no info about what cruise you are on, and who you will be with...

I suggest you start your workout a.s.a.p.(bring a small flashlight),

then take shower in your cabin, before fellow pax wake up.:)

Edited by $hip$hape

Agreed! Follow all the ship rules!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone while driving down I95.....

..... at 95mph.....

:D;)

Once I met a fellow runner who would go to the track early,

since he liked the early morning fresh air.

He smoked a cigarette whilst jogging, and did not want others to notice his addiction.:o

:eek:

Edited by $hip$hape

For some people, having the freedom to get up and work out at 5 or 6 am is therapy. I am almost always in bed by 10 pm on our vacations. Maybe not asleep but blissfully going there soon with the television on and/or talking to the family about the day.

I get up early and LOVE the feeling a run or jog up top or speed walk around the Waterfront gives me. Gets the adrenaline and endorphins going as well as the metabolism for the food and many drinks I plan to enjoy that day.

I used to be of the other mindset, believe me but now I couldn't imagine not getting up to work out. I'd feel terrible the rest of the day. Its all a matter of preference.