QM2,Tipping?

threeoverthree

Apparently, my understanding of how gratuities are distributed on Cunard ships was also incorrect. The gospel, as it were, is written on this locked "sticky thread" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2413808

As the poster who originally suggested that Bell Boy's post be elevated to a "sticky" I had no confidence that this would become gospel for all.

Posters will accept it as accurate: as I do because all the other theories seem to be basically unworkable, others will still have their own views, as is the case with much here.

David

As the poster who originally suggested that Bell Boy's post be elevated to a "sticky" I had no confidence that this would become gospel for all.

Posters will accept it as accurate: as I do because all the other theories seem to be basically unworkable, others will still have their own views, as is the case with much here.

David

I guess I can't accept it as gospel because I heard differently on the actual ship (QM2) from the Guest Services people.

• 1 year later...
Doesn't the steward get paid a wage to do that.

Yes like in all hotels and they dont charge extortionate gratuities and more often than not nothing at all and leave it to the discretion of the guest to leave a gratuity as it should be. Wages of staff in land based hotels can be as poor as on ships in some countries so that cannot be used as an excuse.

That is a serious sum of money. Out of my league. Each to their own. I am in steerage on QM2 in March, have to raid my piggy bank for a few tips then.

Way out of my league as well. If everyone tipped as generously the crew would be earning an enormous amount of money!

The last time I posted on tipping I got a rasher of to put it nice Bologna, But I am going to do it one more time. I believe that the staff on board the ships are not always highly paid, often have family back home and could use a bit extra. I am happy add a cash tip in addition to the auto tip if the service has been excellent, which it usually is. My rule is $10 per day for the butler, $ 8 per day (rounded to the nearest 10) for his second. The waiters get $5 per day (rounded up to the nearest 10). I also tip the bartender in the Grills Lounge, and I usually get outstanding service. If I go for cocktails in the Commodore and get the same waiter and good service I give him or her $20. If I need an adjustment in my dinner table, I give the Matre d'hotel $50. I have also on one occasion not added a cash tip for a Butler who thought I was supposed to do his job.

As a UK resident I am unable to access the numerous ‘perks’ available when booking in USA. As someone who leaves auto gratuities in place and tips extra, can someone explain what happens to the shortfall for those who benefit from free gratuities as a perk? Do staff receive less as a consequence or do Cunard pay the difference as I have got to say that the free gratuities and drinks package for some really grates on my nerves!

As a UK resident I am unable to access the numerous ‘perks’ available when booking in USA. As someone who leaves auto gratuities in place and tips extra, can someone explain what happens to the shortfall for those who benefit from free gratuities as a perk? Do staff receive less as a consequence or do Cunard pay the difference as I have got to say that the free gratuities and drinks package for some really grates on my nerves!

From what I understand, Cunard will Guarantee and top up to a certain amount agreed with their staff. So the more guests that take auto Grats off the more Cunard have to put in the pot. However no one except The Cruise company know the exact formula.

From what I understand, Cunard will Guarantee and top up to a certain amount agreed with their staff. So the more guests that take auto Grats off the more Cunard have to put in the pot. However no one except The Cruise company know the exact formula.

I've heard various "explanations" - but I've never heard this. None of the various stories include Cunard supplementing the tip. Nor on any other line. I've only heard that the crew member does without.

NOT saying it's the case here, but if one was looking for an excuse not to tip, it would make an excellent fantasy.

- Mark

It also really annoys me and all Cunard says is differing markets have differing offers with no explanation of why US cruisers get better deals than those in the UK. Also what gets me is Americans when they say UK cruisers are "tightwads" for removing auto gratuity and say they are "stiffing" the staff when they sit there with free gratuities and drinking as much as they want at no extra cost.

That is why it is in Cunard's interest for you to keep auto gratuities on to boost their profits and they try and brainwash cruisers into feeling guilty about removing them. They are not interested how much staff get paid as long as it doesnt cost them much and boosts their own profits.

I've heard various "explanations" - but I've never heard this. None of the various stories include Cunard supplementing the tip. Nor on any other line. I've only heard that the crew member does without.

NOT saying it's the case here, but if one was looking for an excuse not to tip, it would make an excellent fantasy.

- Mark

It has been widely commented on in various forums on the net and from UK cruisers that both Cunard and P&O have in the contracts of some staff guaranteeing them a "minimum wage" and if they do not receive this they cover this loss themselves. This is not a convenient "fantasy" as an excuse not to pay auto gratuities and if enough start to remove them like they have been doing then Cunard will have to respond and remove auto gratuities and include auto gratuities in other ways like P&O are doing from next May.

I have always enjoyed complimentary gratuities. That should not be equated with taking the auto gratuity option off. My gratuities are covered by the ship. I hand out envelopes on each leg of a TA round trip to the wait staff and wine steward on the 2nd. or 3rd. night after I get to know their names. My stateroom steward is tipped weekly, thus doubling their tips. How the gratuities are divied up is their concern. “ No one ever got rich stiffin a waiter”. Liz Smith

The staff works hard, extremely hard for our enjoyment.