Anyone stay in a Porthole cabin?

PlanoDebbie

We're looking at booking a 4 day cruise on Valor out of Galveston. There are 3 Porthole cabins on Deck 1 at the front of the ship that look interesting. They appear to be the same size as any other OV or Balcony cabin, but with 2 small port holes.

The Cabins are 1216, 1220 and 1221.

We usually book a balcony cabin, but for a quick 4 day cruise we wanted to see if anyone has had any good or bad experience in one of these.

Not sure what's below that deck, but it has all cabins above it.

Please tell us the good, the bad or the ugly about what we may encounter. I've never been booked on anything that low on a ship.

TIA

We are just off Conquest and had a porthole cabin, 1216. It was exactly like the ocean views except for having two portholes instead of the picture window. We actually enjoyed being on deck 1 -only two floors down from the dining room and one from debarkation. We were very comfortable and saved a bunch. it was very quiet except for the occasional, but very loud, sound of what i suppose were the engine thrusters or some such. We had some very rough seas that affected he entire ship, and we hears the noises mostly when it was rough.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by simplelife

They can be pretty noisy, especially on port days, and you are going to feel ALOT of motion.

Assuming you don't sleep in on port days, and you don't get sea sick easily these can be a good choice. Personally I love the PT cabins becuase you save (pay for the interior rate) and you get a little natural light into the room. They are not exactly big enough to see out of, but plenty big enough for light.

I've had one of these cabins twice in the past and my next cruise will be in one as well!

We just stayed in a porthole for the first time on our last cruise (cabin E8 on the Fascination) after only previously having balconies. It was just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to book one again, especially on a port-intensive cruise. I have heard that they can be loud being so near the front of the ship, due to waves hitting the boat, or when it docks, but we never experienced either. My advice, just choose one on the highest deck possible. Our was on deck 7, so that may have attributed to it not being loud at all. We also felt no movement, but that may have been due to calm seas. I was actually disappointed that I didn't get rocked to sleep!

Edited by bakersdozen12

As a sometime solo cruiser, this is my cabin of choice! I love the PT cabins. Depending on seas, you can be rocked to sleep or not. You will hear thrusters when docking. And I like the little extra walking to the front of the ship! Go for it! How can I add pictures? Edited by DanusLight
To ask about pics

I've stayed in a PT cabin on either Inspiration or Imagination. I loved everything about it! Well, except this very LOUD clanging, something hitting the boat hard every morning. I think, not sure, it was the anchor. I don't really recall being bothered by the motion. We wear the sea sick patch, could be why.

They are okay, wouldnt be my first choice. Yes, you can see out through the port holes, but it's not like a big picture window obviously. You have to go and stand right by the window and look out - kind of reminds me of looking through a telescope or something. We did it for a five day, and it wasn't bad for that, and the price was right. I'm not really fond of being that far forward though - I prefer aft! I guess it's better than having no view - but would rather have an ocean view.

They are okay, wouldnt be my first choice. Yes, you can see out through the port holes, but it's not like a big picture window obviously. You have to go and stand right by the window and look out - kind of reminds me of looking through a telescope or something. We did it for a five day, and it wasn't bad for that, and the price was right. I'm not really fond of being that far forward though - I prefer aft! I guess it's better than having no view - but would rather have an ocean view.

Understand but it is nice to pay for inside and get a couple of small windows and larger cabin

Stayed in one on the Vista for the first-time. It was an 11day repositioning cruise and I had no problems. When traveling solo, I will definitely book this cabin again.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

I was in one for the NYC inaugural cruise! I was in 1206 and loved it. Someone from our roll call organized a cabin crawl and those that visited my cabin were genuinely shocked that the forward porthole cabins were as spacious as they were. AND, I had more closet space!!

stayed in one last year. 1221 (i believe) on the Glory, so similar ship. Was a great value and did not feel closed in as I would have in an interior. Only issue we had was we sailed through the middle of tropical storm Bonnie, and felt every minute of it. Lots of motion and noise from hitting large waves (they were high enough to wash over the top of our portholes.) First time I have ever been seasick. But barring a natural disaster it is great. Ill be in another one this April on the Elation

We only book these cabins as they are a great deal. Others are correct that the view is not as good as an outside but pay a lot less.

I believe you have crew cabins below you and passenger cabins above you so they are quiet. We have never experienced loud noises on ours but we are early risers.

Good luck!

We stayed in a porthole cabin and we only had problems with motion one night when the seas were particularly rough. You also do get a little bit of noise when the ship is docking, but if that isn't a deal breaker for you I would highly suggest a porthole cabin! The price is right and they're bigger than interior rooms, plus how much time do you actually spend in there anyway? :)

We stayed in a PT HOLE cabin one year...we quite liked it...spacious...had a couch in it also ....only thing was when we docked in the morning....that ANCHOR DROPS....and it's WAKE UP TIME....we also found it very rocky being right at the front of the ship...the drawers in the desk were flying open and shut as we went UP AND DOWN. lol .but could have just been bad seas on those nights....enjoy it...