Clueless newbie needing major handholding

It seems like what you are trying to do is to see if this is possible. You may not have this opportunity to go on this type of cruise in the next foreseeable future, so I can see why you are trying to see if you can get this all to work. I don't know when your classes are scheduled, if the call in time is flexible, but you may possibly be able to find an internet café while you are in port. Look at the schedule of your classes and see if any of your call in times coincide with when you are in port. Most port cities have internet cafe's.

Suitcase: can you borrow one, or buy one from a thrift store?

clothes: a dressy pair of pants or dressy crops, a few cami's and a dressy sweater to wear over the cami's. Some casual clothes to wear around the ship, a skirt that could do double duty, like wear at night and during the day. Some casual t-shirts that you could also wear as a pajama top.

shoes: good walking shoes, could be a Teva type pair of sandals that you do exploring in. A dressier pair of sandals to wear at night. Maybe some flipflops.

I love planning my clothes. Again, if you need something go to a Goodwill or thrift store.

You have some time yet to plan it out. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted. I'm rooting for you to keep on trying to figure it all out.

Good luck,

Karen

A few notes about the cost of doing the classes.

If you are using your cell phone to dial a number to listen in to the classes, forget it. Some ships do give you a signal, but $3 - $6 per minutes. When you land at a port, you will be able to use that country's cell towers. Some US phone companies sell you packages for use in that country or even for the ship but still very expensive. Phone cards help only if you already have a free line (e.g. you're calling overseas from your home town where it is free or very cheap to dial a local number).

For Internet, you need WiFi enabled devices (laptop/table/smartphones). Most RCL ships charge $15 - $20 per day per device for unlimited usage. You have the option to make calls using WiFi as well - there are apps that let you call a number via the WiFi Internet. But as everyone said the Internet is slow and unreliable. Downloading a file is OK, watching live broadcast or making calls through the WiFi will not be acceptable.

Yes, your partner and the kids will be disappointed if you don't go. But it is unfair to make you go if you absolutely cannot be away from the classes.

Edited by toras

Can your child go on the trip with your partner and his kids and you stay home? If so, this may be a win-win. Your child gets to experience some of Europe and you get some alone time to focus on school and work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by fletch5727

I'll go a step farther and ask, does your partner not know your worries? If so, why a cruise overseas, where it requires extra time? Why not something closer to home, with less days missed of work. Also, could this be a fake posting? Haven't seen a comment back yet either.

I was wondering the same thing about nothing further from the OP...

I'll go a step farther and ask, does your partner not know your worries? If so, why a cruise overseas, where it requires extra time? Why not something closer to home, with less days missed of work. Also, could this be a fake posting? Haven't seen a comment back yet either.

I was wondering the same thing about nothing further from the OP...

Most fake posts try to create controversy. There is very little of that in this thread. Also, it has only been one day. Most new posters don't live on CC.

Edited by Cuizer2

I second all those who feel this just may not be the time for you. Wait and book it as a celebration for your class completion... maybe you'll book a year in advance so you can be saving each month.

Europe is not exactly cheap! Plus we just renewed our Passports and I can tell you, that would cost an additional $110 per person, plus $25 if the post office processes it for you and $15 if they supply a photo...and this is a necessity. Plus you would need to start this process at least a couple months before you cruise.

Then your hotel/s and food ashore etc. not to mention your flight.:eek:

Pick up that larger case also, very hard to get everything you'll need into a carryon.

It will happen someday when the timing is right and then you can be picking everyone's brain here while you're saving money to go.:D

Good luck and stand firm with your significant others. Don't feel pressured into doing something that might ruin your vacation.

While I don't disagree with the above posters who are essentially saying, "This trip at this time seems wrong", I'm going to say something different:

Why don't you opt instead for a Caribbean cruise? They have several things going for them:

- The pricetag is cheaper.

- Depending upon where you live, you may not need to fly; you may be able to drive, which is so much cheaper for most of us.

- Assuming you're Americans and are cruising from /returning to an American port, you don't need passports.

- More options exist, so you will have more date options, meaning that you might be able to opt for a date that would allow you to miss fewer days of school.

Regardless of what you do, here are a couple thoughts:

- If you can't afford a suitcase, you probably can't afford the cruise.

- A carry-on is enough space for a cruise.

- I say this because you're a complete newbie: Keep in mind that the cruise is not all-inclusive (people ask about that all the time; it's a pervasive urban myth). Be sure you budget for tips, any excursions you might take, and drinks.

- I can't help with internet; I've never bothered with it onboard, but I also never needed to take a class.

- Do you have any option to "work ahead" and avoid the work during your vacation? How about doing it during the summer (I know, the problem is that the prices go up).

When we did the Med, I made a spreadsheet listing all the things we wanted to do with the cost associated with them. This included passports, air fare, shore excursions to see all the sites we wanted to see along with hotels and transportation. Then we figured out when we could do it. We pretty much do the same thing for every trip - make a spreadsheet with all the costs. We wanted to do a short trip this April but between cruise fare, gratuities, the drink packages, internet etc we figured out we needed to wait until June.

So like others have suggested, have a talk with your partner about finances and see if it makes sense. Try looking at a Caribbean cruise or a shorter 5 day. Our first cruise was a 3 day to see if we liked it.

If you decide to go, thats great. But you'll need the internet. I have done classes from home and even with a cable modem I've had connection issues, so keep in mind you may miss some of the discussion if you have technical problems. Also try talking to the professor and see if you can get information ahead of time, depending on the teacher they might.

They would only need the internet package on their phone if they are capable of WiFi calling. Otherwise internet will do them no good on their phone and they'll be forced to use the ship's cell towers to make/receive calls via their phone.

Which will add an additional cost of $2-$3 per minute.

OP although I agree with most of the previous posts I am not sure if it has answered your question other than the Internet could be spotty. Your only question seemed to be is the class possible from the ship. I can tell you that most likely no. We took a cruise with my daughter when she was in 8th grade but taking a couple of online classes at the community college. She only had to sign on each day and read and respond to posts not at a certain time and no streaming required. This was a while back and you paid by the minute and you were constantly be dropped and would have to sign back on. We wound up having to find Internet when we were in ports because it was to hard to do it on the ship. Since then the Internet has improved considerably on the ships and has come quite affordable to us comparatively, however there are still times that we get disconnected and have to sign back on or it is running slow that we need to disconnect and reconnect (on ships that now sell it as the surf & stream voom package).

Now about streaming, sometimes you can, most times we have not been able to (except on a brand new ship). As recent as last October my husband really wanted to watch his alma matter play football. It was on a station the ships do not get so no big deal we were going to stream it through an app. Could not get enough bandwidth with the stream and surf package to stream it at all. We had 3-4 options and none would work. The first half of the game we could get sound only through a radio station on the internet but second half of the game we could not even get that.

Now for your phone. I have a part time job that is very flexible and when you want time off you call it in the morning of, you do not give reasons, you have so many days a quarter and they roll into the next but each day you take off you have to call it in that morning. I have talked to HR and they said if I emailed them each day they would call it in for me, however I would feel better if I called it in myself. I have tried from the ship on my cell phone and before I could even get through all of the automation to leave my message and information the call was dropped. Tried twice and could not do it. I just sent my emails and hoped for the best.

If you were to go I would make sure you know where you will be for each class you need to sign in for and what your options will be for each day. I would also talk to the person teaching the class and see what the repercussions are going to be if you cannot get connected. If you are going during the summer my suggestion would move it to either a week after your class is over or go before your class starts

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for the answers. Sorry I haven't been on in a minute. OK so here goes....

The cruise was intended as celebratory for two of his children who are graduating. Thus he's footing the expenses. I just pay for passport for daughter and I. I couldn't really say no because I kind of felt I owed him. Flawed, but I am warped that way. ;) And I didn't want to deny daughter. I'd just let her go as she could without me as far as excursions. I can miss ONE class, but not two, so that part was what I was worried about. I've been going cuckoo for cocoa puffs to stay AHEAD with papers and classwork so I could enjoy. To the poster who said download as much as I could, thanks. I hadn't thought that part. I printed all the modules and external readings and I have a few of my books on iPad. My only worries were live classes. I have heard I could skip the platform and do Skype. That would skip the cell phone which would be awesome. I have seriously vacationed on budget, having done WDW on $10 and then seeing if I could go serious budget and enjoy, and I managed. I know it's not europe. LOL....

anyway, then the best thing ever happened. The europe plans fell and we have changed it over to the caribbean. That is way shorter, same time line and packing, suitcases, hassles and the like are much less. So I can do that, likely catch some classes, pay less for phones and internet. YAY! God always provides. We have decided to do a solo cruise to europe just the two and I will have graduated by then. I'll still be broke but the mental hassle is not there.

Whoever said it would not be enjoyable was partly right. I would have enjoyed the sites, but the worries and stressors would have been a weight. Anyway, having never cruised, this is a great intro. My child enjoys the cruise experience, visits someplace she's talked about for years of going to instead, and she gets a happy mom. Win win

You should consider a 4 to 5 day Caribbean cruise to wet your cruising feet. The money you save in airfare can go towards additional expenses like internet package etc. it will also be a lot easier to come up with usable timetable to schedule your online classes.

With your financial situation and the added pressure of having to do classes with a minimum of 6 hour time difference is just a bad idea and bad planning.

thanks dear. I just added an update and it's exactly as you said. My problem is I HATE to disappoint others. But when the decision was out of my hands and changed, well win win. I love the caribbean

nope Im here. Just uber busy. And yes, I wasn't thrilled with the choice of this year. Wasn't MY choice at all. I hate turning down a gift horse or disappointing anyone. Luckily things seem to worked itself out

Most fake posts try to create controversy. There is very little of that in this thread. Also, it has only been one day. Most new posters don't live on CC.

yeah I am afraid I haven't figured out how to make it alert me that I have new posts so I happened to come on since I am sitting in one place working on a paper. I will get a hang on this at some point. Time on the other hand, who knows. :)

It seems like what you are trying to do is to see if this is possible. You may not have this opportunity to go on this type of cruise in the next foreseeable future, so I can see why you are trying to see if you can get this all to work. I don't know when your classes are scheduled, if the call in time is flexible, but you may possibly be able to find an internet café while you are in port. Look at the schedule of your classes and see if any of your call in times coincide with when you are in port. Most port cities have internet cafe's.

Suitcase: can you borrow one, or buy one from a thrift store?

clothes: a dressy pair of pants or dressy crops, a few cami's and a dressy sweater to wear over the cami's. Some casual clothes to wear around the ship, a skirt that could do double duty, like wear at night and during the day. Some casual t-shirts that you could also wear as a pajama top.

shoes: good walking shoes, could be a Teva type pair of sandals that you do exploring in. A dressier pair of sandals to wear at night. Maybe some flipflops.

I love planning my clothes. Again, if you need something go to a Goodwill or thrift store.

You have some time yet to plan it out. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted. I'm rooting for you to keep on trying to figure it all out.

Good luck,

Karen

thanks Karen. That was a huge part of it. When I was married and better financially, no opportunity to travel. Now I sort of have it, but no money and worse, less time. :')

So now it seems that we are staying local, so to speak. I can pack for that. I think we have enough clothes for that. I didn't have suitcases to pack for two people for a week with so much formal wear and shoes. But four days, I imagine I have a formal dress or two, but hopefully the one little black dress will do ya. I can do shorts, sneakers and sun dresses for us both.

Just unsure quantity for 4 days with two in the caribbean. But I have two small suitcases that work for weekend, to 3-5 days out and about. YAY! I am also going to figure out inventory and definitely check out thrift store.

thanks for understanding and most of all, your kindness. It's hard to say no and disappoint daughter and others. Even poor. Which looks like will be close to life long endeavor. ;) But guess I like the education too.

Someone asked about sending her alone wth them before, um, her father would have went bananas. The less involved they are, the more dramatic, kwim?

Do you even have a passport? $$$

Nope made the appointment. Yes I have money for that. :') I don't have a lot for the extras, but visas are covered by him, my daughter and I eat light, and we are used to walking. Just a trip is enough for us, so luxury is not something we are looking for.

Sorry y'all. I tried to get back to each of you but I think I went bananas doing it. I think next year will be europe and nope, I'll be broke, but have more experience and my wallet stays back. I will be a sponge all the way. Hahahahahaha.

But y'all have given me much to think about and I will try and keep some money on hand for souvenirs and an excursion here or there, just in case.

Whew what a relief to go from 7 days to 4. YAY