Departure port tips... San Juan

Deatsch

The first in the series. Perhaps we can get a collection? Your mileage will vary I'm certain. The following are our personal experiences:

Since we live in the frozen north and always cruise in the winter we always go to our departure port a day early. One never knows...

When you arrive at SJU it's a good idea to get a porter at the luggage pick up area. They are very helpful and will take you right to the cab station and help you out.

Once you are at your hotel your vacation begins! Hooooray!!

We always arrange to arrive at the port in San Juan about noon. You will see several lines outside the port. The first one is often for luggage drop off but if you are in a rewards program for your cruise line there might be a second luggage line for you. The third line will be for after you've dropped off your luggage and will be the one to get into the terminal.

When it's time to head back to the airport from your cruise it's a good idea to get a porter when you arrive at the airport. They will breeze you and your luggage through the 'agricultural' inspection and then get your luggage to your airline counter. This is the best $10 tip you'll ever spend, trust me.

The TSA line at SJU can be amazingly long and slow. The folks do a good job but remember you're arriving with a ton of other cruise ship people so it can be backed up.

I do hope this helps some folks.

Hi Jim & Judy, 2 questions, pls.

1) We travel only with a carry on. Which line shall we choose for checking in at the pier?

2) What's the earliest the check in process starts? 10.30??? We'll spend 4 days pre-cruise in SJ, and we'll be eager to board ASAP :D

Thanks, Dani

Edited by dani negreanu

Dani,

If you don't have luggage to check then I imagine you could bypass the luggage line.

As stated, we always get to the port right about noon. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by Deatsch

I have to imagine this is 100% no longer the case... but:

Last time I was sailing from San Juan, maybe 17 years ago, the world's largest cruising loophole was in place. We sailed on the Monarch, and the terminal was set up such that you went through security pretty early back in the terminal, vs. at the ship entrance, and then walked *right past* the duty free liquor shop, and then onto the ship free and clear, nobody even guarding the entrance to the ship to speak of, since you had already been through security.

Except we didn't walk "right past" duty free liquor at all. Instead we made a few trips off the ship into the liquor store and right back on. Hey you can only carry so much booze in one trip :) Basically our stateroom looked like a liquor store when we were done. What a great cruise, 5 southern ports if I recall. And plenty to drink.

Last time I was sailing from San Juan, maybe 17 years ago, the world's largest cruising loophole was in place. We sailed on the Monarch, and the terminal was set up such that you went through security pretty early back in the terminal, vs. at the ship entrance, and then walked *right past* the duty free liquor shop, and then onto the ship free and clear, nobody even guarding the entrance to the ship to speak of, since you had already been through security.

Except we didn't walk "right past" duty free liquor at all. Instead we made a few trips off the ship into the liquor store and right back on. Hey you can only carry so much booze in one trip :) Basically our stateroom looked like a liquor store when we were done. What a great cruise, 5 southern ports if I recall. And plenty to drink.

Nope. Nothing has changed, We make a stop before boarding. We plan on doing it again for our April Cruise.

Nope. Nothing has changed, We make a stop before boarding. We plan on doing it again for our April Cruise.

Never sailed from San Juan, but are you sure this is still accurate? I've saw some conflicting info on other threads. Would be awesome if this is still true though :D

Hi Jim & Judy, 2 questions, pls.

1) We travel only with a carry on. Which line shall we choose for checking in at the pier?

2) What's the earliest the check in process starts? 10.30??? We'll spend 4 days pre-cruise in SJ, and we'll be eager to board ASAP :D

Thanks, Dani

1) If you only travel with a carry on that fits through an airport scanner, then just go straight to the line to get into the terminal.

2) In all likliehood the earliest you can start checking in will be about 11am - keep in mind that you probably won't be able to board the ship until around 11:45am (just depends on how they are doing on the cruise to cruise turn around.

Dani,

If you don't have luggage to check then I imagine you could bypass the luggage line.

As stated, we always get to the port right about noon. Your mileage may vary.

1) If you only travel with a carry on that fits through an airport scanner, then just go straight to the line to get into the terminal.

2) In all likliehood the earliest you can start checking in will be about 11am - keep in mind that you probably won't be able to board the ship until around 11:45am (just depends on how they are doing on the cruise to cruise turn around.

Thanks, J2 and cruzgryphon, for your detailed replies.

Never sailed from San Juan, but are you sure this is still accurate? I've saw some conflicting info on other threads. Would be awesome if this is still true though :D

I researched this a bit too and it sounds like the biggest change is that instead of walking onto the ship w/o seeing a cruise line employee, now there is a table to collect alcohol you volunteer or that they happen to see (without benefit of a scanner?)

So it sounds like what one should do is put purchases in backpack or carry on before leaving the store. This is the environmentally friendly thing to do anyway of course, why waste a plastic bag :)

I remember those days. And tons of free samples. We were pretty toasted just getting back on the ship with our bottles of liquor that we took to our room to consume during the week.

Thanks for the tips...also on the same cruise, can't wait. A little over a week!

We are flying in Saturday too, although not as early as I wanted, landing about 3 instead of the originally scheduled 1. I really want to do a fort, but sure I won't have time Saturday. Do you suggest doing this Sunday before going to the ship since they open at 9 or after the cruise (my flight is at 4:20)?

Thanks for the tips...also on the same cruise, can't wait. A little over a week!

We are flying in Saturday too, although not as early as I wanted, landing about 3 instead of the originally scheduled 1. I really want to do a fort, but sure I won't have time Saturday. Do you suggest doing this Sunday before going to the ship since they open at 9 or after the cruise (my flight is at 4:20)?

Personally, I'd do that before the cruise. That way if there are any issues when you leave, you've done it. Most hotels will hold your luggage after you check out- as they fully know the cruise drill. And since departure is so late, there's no real hurry to get on board.

Then again, we are not people who have to be on the ship first- we are ok with arriving to board just about 1pm.

BTW, when you depart, it's easy to be in Old San Juan by 10am, and the shops open between 10 and 10:30 for the other ships that are arriving at the port.

My other overall suggestion- if you arrive enough days prior- there's more to Puerto Rico than Old San Juan. A lot more.

I would recommend you do it Sunday but after going to the ship. If I am not mistaken, they ship doesn't sail until 8PM. If you check in early enough on Sunday you will have plenty of time to wander in Old San Juan before needing to be back on board. They'll be plenty of taxis, and while you will probably pay more to go to Old San Juan than they are legally allowed to charge, it's still worth it IMO.

What I posted was our last experience for our March/April 2015 Adventure B2B Cruise. I guess I'll find out before we board April 2017 B2B Cruise on the Jewel. If we decide to purchase the BP then we won't even bother with the terminal shop. We have our diamond drinks every evening but still like wine in our cabin before heading out for the evening.

Edited by davekathy

I researched this a bit too and it sounds like the biggest change is that instead of walking onto the ship w/o seeing a cruise line employee, now there is a table to collect alcohol you volunteer or that they happen to see (without benefit of a scanner?)

So it sounds like what one should do is put purchases in backpack or carry on before leaving the store. This is the environmentally friendly thing to do anyway of course, why waste a plastic bag :)

I embarked in SJ in December and there was no table like that. Once you got through security you could easily turn left and go into the shop then go to the lines to fill out your health questionnaire and check in.

What I posted was our last experience for our March/April 2015 Adventure B2B Cruise. I guess I'll find out before we board April 2017 B2B Cruise on the Jewel. If we decide to purchase the BP then we won't even bother with the terminal shop. We have our diamond drinks every evening but still like wine in our cabin before heading out for the evening.

Okay-tell me more. Is that something that you can easily see (the Duty Free Store), or is it easy to walk past? I've never been to the terminal but we are leaving from San Juan on Adventure in Feb.

I embarked in SJ in December and there was no table like that. Once you got through security you could easily turn left and go into the shop then go to the lines to fill out your health questionnaire and check in.

Thanks for sharing your experience. As a matter of fact after all the B2B producers were completed on turn around day for our B2B Adventure Cruise, we were issued an in transit pass so we went back to the terminal store and bought two more bottles of wine and re-boarded. No problems again. That was our experience.

Okay-tell me more. Is that something that you can easily see (the Duty Free Store), or is it easy to walk past? I've never been to the terminal but we are leaving from San Juan on Adventure in Feb.

Once you pass the terminal security look left before heading over to the check-in lines/counter. Or just follow the others that are heading to the store. ;o) We really like the Adventure. Enjoy your Cruise.

Edited by davekathy

As of a year and a half ago, this was still the case [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How is the wine selection at the terminal liquor store? I'm wondering if I should buy it in OSJ the day before and bring it with us to the pier, or just wait and buy it inside the terminal? Thoughts?

Not a wide variety of wine. If you have the time, I'd go to one of the supermarkets for a better selection.