Steamer

chester2012

I always bring Downy Wrinkle Release. You'll find it in the laundry section of your grocery store and it also comes in a travel size. Works great on most fabrics. Spray it on, smooth out fabric and wrinkles gone.

Tracy

This is the same product my wife uses to get rid of wrinkles when we travel.

You can make your own wrinkle release as well. There are many recipes online. I use white vinegar, distilled water and essential oils and if works perfect. Don't panic, vinegar smell goes away quickly. Bonus is no nasty chemicals.

Yes, you can bring a garment steamer. I always use my travel sized one to remove the wrinkles from packing!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

From NCL FAQs

Irons / Ironing Boards and Steamers

Guests are not permitted to bring and use their own irons or steamers onboard. Norwegian Cruise Line carries a limited number of irons and ironing boards which can be loaned to guests for a few hours at a time. They can be requested through housekeeping or Guest Services Desk.

Irons and steamers would both be taken from guests at embarkation and returned at the end of the sailing.

we've taken our small steamer on all 6 NCL cruises and never had an issue.

Then you have been lucky, or something else, since it states VERY CLEARLY that you can't bring a steamer on board.

I think it all has to do with how you use it. We pack it in our suitcase, take it out to use it, then repack it when we are done. Never had an issue.

this is the one we have

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Enrichment-PureSteam-Fabric-Steamer/dp/B00ORC2Z2S/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1485877668&sr=1-8&keywords=travel+steamer

I think it all has to do with how you use it. We pack it in our suitcase, take it out to use it, then repack it when we are done. Never had an issue.

this is the one we have

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Enrichment-PureSteam-Fabric-Steamer/dp/B00ORC2Z2S/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1485877668&sr=1-8&keywords=travel+steamer

LOL

When your bags go through x-ray, they clearly didn't notice it, or it would have been confiscated.

It has nothing to do with how you use it, or where you stash it when not in use.

Clearly, you are not allowed to bring steamers on board.

LOL

When your bags go through x-ray, they clearly didn't notice it, or it would have been confiscated.

It has nothing to do with how you use it, or where you stash it when not in use.

Clearly, you are not allowed to bring steamers on board.

Clearly, you have never taken a steamer on a cruise. I've taken my mini steamer on all my cruises, including NCL and never had it confiscated. And I left it out in plain sight after using it, so it would cool down.

Clearly, you have never taken a steamer on a cruise. I've taken my mini steamer on all my cruises, including NCL and never had it confiscated. And I left it out in plain sight after using it, so it would cool down.

ROFL

Clearly I have never taken a steamer on a cruise because CLEARLY it is not allowed.

ROFL

Clearly I have never taken a steamer on a cruise because CLEARLY it is not allowed.

Then you shouldn't be giving advice about something you've never done. How is that useful to the OP?

Clearly, the advice given is helpful to the OP if that person is someone who follows the rules, and doesn't feel that they are entitled and the rules don't apply.

I worked for NCL, I know the policy, and I know the reality. Steamers, and all other appliances that produce heat are not allowed. The only exception are hair care appliances, and if the lines felt they could get away with it, they would ban these as well, to reduce their insurance premiums.

And before anyone comes back with the old saw about "my steamer doesn't have an exposed hot metal surface like an iron, so its safe", the problem is not the exposed hot surface, but the "auto-off" switch that many proclaim as the solution. These auto-off switches are notorious for failing, Mr. Coffee almost went out of business back in the 80's-90's from the lawsuits over home fires caused by their switches. The coffee makers and hair dryers that NCL provides are routinely taken out of service for inspection and maintenance, and I know of one case where a coffee maker went up in flames in the electricians' shop during testing.

The fact that a cabin steward, who is dependent on the occupant of the cabin for their wage, and for performance rating towards future employment, doesn't mention that the steamer is not allowed is not surprising, nor is the fact that shoreside security, port authority "mall cops" do not care about something that is not an obvious weapon.

Clearly, the advice given is helpful to the OP if that person is someone who follows the rules, and doesn't feel that they are entitled and the rules don't apply.

I worked for NCL, I know the policy, and I know the reality. Steamers, and all other appliances that produce heat are not allowed. The only exception are hair care appliances, and if the lines felt they could get away with it, they would ban these as well, to reduce their insurance premiums.

And before anyone comes back with the old saw about "my steamer doesn't have an exposed hot metal surface like an iron, so its safe", the problem is not the exposed hot surface, but the "auto-off" switch that many proclaim as the solution. These auto-off switches are notorious for failing, Mr. Coffee almost went out of business back in the 80's-90's from the lawsuits over home fires caused by their switches. The coffee makers and hair dryers that NCL provides are routinely taken out of service for inspection and maintenance, and I know of one case where a coffee maker went up in flames in the electricians' shop during testing.

The fact that a cabin steward, who is dependent on the occupant of the cabin for their wage, and for performance rating towards future employment, doesn't mention that the steamer is not allowed is not surprising, nor is the fact that shoreside security, port authority "mall cops" do not care about something that is not an obvious weapon.

Amen! I used to pack an iron - not a travel iron - a full size iron. Took it on every vacation, every cruise. Had no idea that it was not allowed it was just something I packed when I traveled. Didn't try to hide it and never had it confiscated - would leave it on a top shelf in the cabin so the stewards definitely saw it. When I found out that they were not allowed and the reasons, I never brought one again. It is so simple to call and have them bring an iron/ironing board and then hang everything up.

Then you shouldn't be giving advice about something you've never done. How is that useful to the OP?

OP asked if steamers were allowed. The question was answered correctly as far as the cruise line is concerned. The OP can decide to follow the rules or not.

This thread reminded me of something funny that happened our last cruise.

We were a group on the Epic this past March. One older lady in our group, in a solo cabin, was using her steamer one night & set off the smoke detector. She said a dozen crew, including 3 officers, all arrived within minutes with her just in a nightie. She was warned that steamers, for that reason, are not allowed.

this is the one we have

You are an on board fire waiting to happen. Flagrant violation of the rules is uncalled for, and if you are caught you could be removed from the cruise without recourse. Please let the rest of us know when your are sailing so that we can avoid those cruises.

Thank you to those who oh so gently slapped my hand or scolded me for my clearly incorrect answer! Apologies to the OP for an incorrect response based on NCL rules.

The rule must have changed since I read it last, because when I looked it up before the first time I brought my steamer, it just said no irons. I was not aware it was not allowed!

My travel garment steamer has an auto off setting when it runs out of water or if it tips over, so I do not believe it ever was a fire hazard, but I can imagine some are. I have always left it out after using it and no one has ever even mentioned it was not allowed, or I would not have used it.