Princess Cruises exploiting and ripping off Pacific Islanders

Seeing Isle of Pines and Duck Island now is so sad how it is all flattened and dead.

I kind of wish the cruise lines were more proactive in educating people not to ruin the coral for everyone else by walking on it because you are lazy!

This is an excellent idea.

Why shouldn't the cruise lines run reef awareness classes? Where do reefs come from. What to do on the reef. What lives on the reef. Things to be beware of. Things to do and not do. That sort of stuff.

Even snorkel classes for the littlies in the pool.

I think I'll drop it in the suggestion box next cruise.

No I am not confused. I think you have totally lost control of your train of thought on this one.

I would not begrudge the cruise lines taking a profit from places like selling tickets from Jinek Bay if they were to reinvest all that money into benefiting cruise lines and tourism in the entire island. A cruise line could easily purchase that island and they have the money in profits to make it better but they choose not to improve the facilities or do little and nothing to help.

How difficult is this to understand for you?

Not difficult at all. It's just doesn't make much sense, and is quite different from your original argument, the reality of the situation which you were initially incorrect on, and what has been discussed. Nobody has said they need to profit from selling tickets, and your original post was an accusation instead of the above which resembles a suggestion of an alternative approach.

Now you're making claims that they should purchase Lifou though! I am sure that the inhabitants and residents would have a different view about whether that "could easily be done." Let alone whether it should. As for how it will be profitable for RCL to run an established island... the mind boggles! (This isn't like previous ones which have been uninhabited.)

Plus if they own it that would most likely remove Carnival cruises from accessing it, which I'm sure will be of concern to the residents and potentially other cruise passengers.

So yeah, your odd accusations and musings have taken an even more bizarre turn. Happy to see your business case though, if you have anything beyond " A cruise line could easily purchase that island "...

Hahaha!! I hadn't read this thread for a while, it's gone from "Princess ripping off the locals" to a cruiseline buying the island, I am sure that will solve everything:rolleyes:

Thanks Lynda for posting the facts:)

Hahaha!! I hadn't read this thread for a while, it's gone from "Princess ripping off the locals" to a cruiseline buying the island, I am sure that will solve everything:rolleyes:

Thanks Lynda for posting the facts:)

If they buy the island, they could put a 'Diamonds international' and a 'Senior Frogs' there as well.

Not difficult at all. It's just doesn't make much sense, and is quite different from your original argument, the reality of the situation which you were initially incorrect on, and what has been discussed. Nobody has said they need to profit from selling tickets, and your original post was an accusation instead of the above which resembles a suggestion of an alternative approach.

Now you're making claims that they should purchase Lifou though! I am sure that the inhabitants and residents would have a different view about whether that "could easily be done." Let alone whether it should. As for how it will be profitable for RCL to run an established island... the mind boggles! (This isn't like previous ones which have been uninhabited.)

Plus if they own it that would most likely remove Carnival cruises from accessing it, which I'm sure will be of concern to the residents and potentially other cruise passengers.

So yeah, your odd accusations and musings have taken an even more bizarre turn. Happy to see your business case though, if you have anything beyond " A cruise line could easily purchase that island "...

You have totally lost the plot and are making ridiculous assumptions. Stop fabricating things and get back to reality.

I simply made the point the the cruise lines have the money to invest heavily in those islands and make tendering and access more practical instead they are not doing that and are still trying to reap in as many profits as they can with no concern for the islands.

If you cannot understand this then something is seriously wrong and there is nothing more I can do for you to make it clearer.

Perhaps I have misread something here, but it seems that Princess is charging the $15 'access fee' (for that is what it really is) and that this amount is handed on to the islanders/community (I presume through some kind of electronic transfer to a bank account somewhere - certainly it won't be in cash). This amount is the same as what the islanders have been charging (in cash).

Am I mistaken in assuming that this means that the island received the same amount and there is no ripping off? The only time this could happen is if those who have the control of the bank accounts for the community do not use it for the community's benefit, which in some places is not unheard of. IMO the same thing can happen with the cash though with it being used for the benefit of only some members (again happens).

If the islands are for sale, I wonder how much they are?

If a few of us pool our money, do you think we can buy one?

I have several ideas for how we can run it for a profit.

We can charge tourists $15 to be assessed on their ability to snorkel. If they pass the test, they can then swim without reef shoes or flippers for an additional $15 or $60 dollars with the reef shoes or flippers (Note: there is an additional $15 fee for hiring these items). Fines will be issued if any coral is damaged.

No food or drinks are allowed to be brought on the island so we have a captured audience to sell drinks and food to. Cans will be $5 each unless you want them cold, then they are $10 each. Coconuts at $10 each with a$5 surcharge for opening one.

Shade umbrellas and towels are for hire for $20 per item (Credit card has a 20% surcharge).

These are just a start, anyone else with any ideas.

So I guess what we can get from all this as per all posts above and everyones info and experience there is......

Swimming and snorkelling at Jinek Bay used to be free.

At some time perhaps after 2013 $5 was collected by the locals.

Carnival Corp in conjunction with the locals began a project whereby a Marine Pass is issued to control numbers to protect the reef and build and maintain infrastucture, this includes, P&O, Princess and Carnival.

Tickets are issued on the ship for $15, numbers are limited.

RCl, Celebrity and other lines are not involved in this program. Cruisers can swim at Jinek bay and locals collect the money.......

and the locals have stated that if you arrive on an early tender before those that have paid they will let you swim for free:rolleyes:

P&O and Princess do not "rip off the locals". On the contrary, they are very generous (as they should be).

According to the video clip from P&O, they put in the stairs and viewing platform at Jinek Bay. I don't doubt it.

P&O put in a jetty at Dravuni Island, only to have it destroyed not long after in a cyclone. Then they built another jetty there. The locals told us that P&O was putting in the jetty - well we should say that they contracted with a company to have it built. I also understand that P&O paid for the jetty at Mystery Island.

I have also seen on numerous cruises to these isolated islands that the locals go on board the ship to have medical check-ups and treatment. This was over the last couple of decades, but I haven't been on a cruise to these remote islands in the last couple of years to see if it is still happening (due to increased security issues).

P&O and Princess do not "rip off the locals". On the contrary, they are very generous (as they should be).

According to the video clip from P&O, they put in the stairs and viewing platform at Jinek Bay. I don't doubt it.

P&O put in a jetty at Dravuni Island, only to have it destroyed not long after in a cyclone. Then they built another jetty there. The locals told us that P&O was putting in the jetty - well we should say that they contracted with a company to have it built. I also understand that P&O paid for the jetty at Mystery Island.

I have also seen on numerous cruises to these isolated islands that the locals go on board the ship to have medical check-ups and treatment. This was over the last couple of decades, but I haven't been on a cruise to these remote islands in the last couple of years to see if it is still happening (due to increased security issues).

When we visited Dravuni Island last November, I noticed the Princess medical staff doing check-up's of the locals on the Island.

When we visited Dravuni Island last November, I noticed the Princess medical staff doing check-up's of the locals on the Island.

Tom, I didnt notice, that is great!!

Our CC group took supplies over......I saw one lady dragging a suitcase over!

Another on our tender was having a whinge because she wasnt told and could have bought stuff from her cabin she didnt want....not sure what that might have been!!

Tom, I didnt notice, that is great!!

Our CC group took supplies over......I saw one lady dragging a suitcase over!

Another on our tender was having a whinge because she wasnt told and could have bought stuff from her cabin she didnt want....not sure what that might have been!!

Formal wear?:p

Formal wear?:p

Prizes from trivia quizzes?

I can just see our next visit there, locals dressed in formal wear, lanyards around their neck, sipping from logoed drink bottles:p

I am sure a few striped beach towels get left behind;)