Norwegian Star broken down near Melbourne; cruise ship to be towed and repaired

Well apparently the captain has announced all is good and they are ready to go! I'm assuming they would have had state of the art equipment/ lights etc to examine the Azipods!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would have been very difficult in the middle of port phillip bay without a dive boat in support

As I write they are shown as at anchor

regards

John

they have started moving according to marine traffic doing 5.4kn

Lets watch her after she drops the pilot outside of the bay and see what speed she works up to the forecast is for nice weather so its her chance to make a fast passage if she is "All Fixed"

Regards

John

She dropped the pilot at around midnight last night.:D

Yes they have a wonderful trip round the bay .....

So yes lets hope they have done a nice job and she will be all the better for it , how much better though if they had delayed her in Melbourne before she was stranded and done the job then .... Hastings and Tom Tough have earned their owners a nice little bonus

Regards

John LtCmdr RN Retired ......and for a long time now ,,,this aging process is not nice ,,,darn it off to pain Clinic at the hospital today ..and I had better be ok to Board Explorer of the Seas on March 4th

Yes they have a wonderful trip round the bay .....

So yes lets hope they have done a nice job and she will be all the better for it , how much better though if they had delayed her in Melbourne before she was stranded and done the job then .... Hastings and Tom Tough have earned their owners a nice little bonus

Regards

John LtCmdr RN Retired ......and for a long time now ,,,this aging process is not nice ,,,darn it off to pain Clinic at the hospital today ..and I had better be ok to Board Explorer of the Seas on March 4th

Hope you can recover in time.

I would have thought getting it fixed back in December (Singapore?) would have been much better.

Hope you can recover in time.

I would have thought getting it fixed back in December (Singapore?) would have been much better.

I just cannot get over how lucky she was , and no mercenary minded salvage tug waving Lloyds open form from his bridge in half a gale of wind... I can just hear it in ch16 "You do know your drifting dont you" ....I expect you get the picture :D

Regards

John

Shouldn't that be the SS Norwegian Mousse?

You know a Norwegian moose once bit my sister!

I must admit my mistake I did not mean to castigate the Norwegian people as a country.

However I do leave this as evidence of my in difference to those from the lower lands LOL

I have noticed on Marine traffic there has been nothing recieved and still shows the norwegion star on the outskirts of Bass Straight

That would be the last position reported via her AIS (automatic identification system) as it went out of range of land based AIS stations. With a paid subscription to Marine Traffic, she is visible some 165nm (at the time of writing) to the east still on track for NZ via satellite AIS.

Should appear again, all being well, on the free version of marine traffic approaching Cape Reigna (Northern tip of NZ) in a couple of days.

(sorry Portbelly - was typing as you posted)

Edited by spirit28
Edit

John

Funny you should be going on Explorer of the Seas - that's the ship Norwegian Star backed into in Bermuda in 2012 when she broke her moorings!!!! Bad luck ship? but the Gods certainly were kind to her last Friday. Sooo lucky with the weather down here. :cool:

Been on the explorer, it's the one cruise I wish I could forget. It was the ex's birthday, planned with her parents to be on the ship as a surprise.

It started off good, tears flowed, she couldn't believe I pulled it off. As we were leaving Miami, her mother tells her, in a condescending tone "oh we're only here for your birthday" as the ship sailed and from that second it was the longest 7 days of my life. All her mom did was bitch, the foods bad, the shows are bad, the ports are bad, the ships bad, the tours are bad, it was like having your teeth pulled out a rusty pliers. Her dad loved everything, he even broke two ribs on a shore excursion and as we left the ship, he said he couldn't wait to go on another one.

My brother lives near Miami and picked us up, we were going to stay a couple of days at his place. They flew home right after, and my brother asks, were to first, all four of us said the airport and we dumped their tails off at the curb, to get away from her.

I wish I could forget those 7 days of pure torture on the explorer of the seas in 2003, have been on RCL since.LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on the 16th Jan cruise. Disembarked early in Cairns because of change to itinerary. Does anyone know if both azipods are operating now ?
I would say yes to 2 azipods working. She was doing 20+ Knots after leaving Melbourne.