Norwegian Star broken down near Melbourne; cruise ship to be towed and repaired

I don't understand their reluctance to do things better and fix their PR mess.

I am becoming more and more convinced that companies like this that are US based think Australia is a bit backward and will think any cruise ship is wonderful.

you sometimes get the feeling when folks from the US post on these boards that they expect Australia to be wild, lawless and colonial!

I am wondering if we are going to see some NCL bargains on the El cheap cruises thread in a while.

If you are game:

Norwegian Star Auckland to Singapore 18th Feb 19 nights

$1535 guarantee inside for single, and about the same pp for twin.

You could take it on as a mystery cruise. Unknown ports, unknown arrival times.

If you are game:

Norwegian Star Auckland to Singapore 18th Feb 19 nights

$1535 guarantee inside for single, and about the same pp for twin.

You could take it on as a mystery cruise. Unknown ports, unknown arrival times.

What a shame I can't book. It conflicts with my cruise on a ship that will actually make it to its scheduled ports without the new to go via Bunnings!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am becoming more and more convinced that companies like this that are US based think Australia is a bit backward and will think any cruise ship is wonderful.

Some of the worst complaints I've read were from Americans who had paid a lot of money to travel over to Asia for these cruises. I think one poster was doing a B2B :eek:

Yes, that is what I was thinking.. I would go on the jewel.:D

But would you risk it? Will you have the cabin you booked? Will the ship break down 20 hours from landfall in rough seas? It could happen (perhaps) wilth any cruise line but is it worth the risk with a company who have proven they will push on regardless of broken propulsion thingies?

The Tug "Hastings" is about 2 hours away and the Tug " Tom Tough" is about 6 hours away....

Darn lucky with the weather they could have been blown ashore at Cape Liptrap or the Prom

So the Next Old Lady to come down here Carnival Splendor joins P&O has a previous history of breakdown ... I south pacific can be very unforgiving and bass strait an absolute bitch when it wants to

No More OLD LADIES please!!

I just cannot get the words "LLoyds Open Form" out of my mind

Regards

John

The Carnival Splendor is only about 6 years old. We sailed her twice and sailing her again in November. Yes she had a bad history but not old.

Wonder if one of the betting agencies is taking bets on the Star making it to Auckland on time. My money says no :eek:

It appears NCL is offering all passengers a flight to Auckland. On another thread thread someone reported that Singapore has the only dry dock capable of fixing up the NCL Star. Maybe she'll have temporary repairs in Melbourne and limp to Singapore?

But would you risk it? Will you have the cabin you booked? Will the ship break down 20 hours from landfall in rough seas? It could happen (perhaps) wilth any cruise line but is it worth the risk with a company who have proven they will push on regardless of broken propulsion thingies?

On another NCL ship yes, the Epic was wonderful.:D.

The Carnival Splendor is only about 6 years old. We sailed her twice and sailing her again in November. Yes she had a bad history but not old.

Carnival Splendor is nearly 10 years old. My time flies.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were scheduled on the Star in April 2015 for a 2 week LA to Miami/Panama Canal cruise when the sailing was cancelled 3 days before sailing. NCL refunded our cruise, and any fees associated with cancelling the air and hotels and gave us 50% off what we paid towards a future cruise. We had some paperwork to file to get the air and hotel refunds and everything was paid within 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not very good PR. Unless they turned the tap on hard with free booze it would be hard to wipe this stain away. Very lucky there is not bad weather coming up. If I was onboard I would be very annoyed. Only so many chairman of the boards one can drink!

You think free booze is the answer to offset this problem?

I think the pax impacted upon should have got a free cruise, never mind the 50% offer. Of course they will get a full refund of he current one, if they want to disembark.

How long will the azipod repairs take I wonder? No doubt a few will stay on board whilst repairs are going on.

Lucky somewhat that the ship broke down in calm waters, imagine breaking down in a rough Bass Strait/Tasman Sea. !!!

I think the pax impacted upon should have got a free cruise, never mind the 50% offer. Of course they will get a full refund of he current one, if they want to disembark.

How long will the azipod repairs take I wonder? No doubt a few will stay on board whilst repairs are going on.

Lucky somewhat that the ship broke down in calm waters, imagine breaking down in a rough Bass Strait/Tasman Sea. !!!

The present sailing has got 100% refund whether they disembark or not. 50% is towards a future cruise. If they disembark they have been given extra money for flights to NZ or to make changes if they want to fly directly home from Melbourne. All cruises with itinerary changes have been compensated depending on the impact to the itinerary. I have just cruised on the Jan 5th&Jan 18th cruise. I booked a few days ago to cruise on the Feb 18th cruise using my FCC from the Jan 16th cruise. I also met passengers on my last two cruises who had booked and paid with their refund from the Dec 11th cruise.