Norwegian Star broken down near Melbourne; cruise ship to be towed and repaired

Interesting how they say everyone was offered the same compensation whether they stayed or left the cruise.

Even if they stayed, the holiday is pretty much ruined so they get full compensation.

They're just offered to leave early if they want since the holiday is ruined. No point paying them more if they leave early though. And a bit rude to discount the ones staying.

Interesting how they say everyone was offered the same compensation whether they stayed or left the cruise.

If you were from AUS the compensation of the refund + the remainder of the cruise and 50% off next cruise sounds pretty good but, you would not know unless you were affected!!

If you are from the states or any where else well that is another matter altogether.

If you were from AUS the compensation of the refund + the remainder of the cruise and 50% off next cruise sounds pretty good but, you would not know unless you were affected!!

If you are from the states or any where else well that is another matter altogether.

That was my point. I know that blanket statements say that everyone is equal, but reality is that some will be happy with the offer and others will not.

The story so far

Azipod problems

Norwegian Star docked in Kauai, Hawaii in 2002, before the application of hull art

Damage to the forward thrust bearing in Norwegian Star's Azipod system in April 2004 caused the suspension of trips to Fanning Island, Kiribati.[29] Because of the damage, the ship was restricted to 18 knots (33 km/h; 21 mph) instead of the 25-knot-speed (46 km/h; 29 mph) needed to make the journey around Hawaii and to Kiribati in the week allotted for the cruise.[29] The stopovers in Kiribati were required under the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 whereby non-U.S. flagged ships are prohibited from departing and returning to a U.S. port without first calling at a foreign port. The penalties associated with skipping a foreign port were waived for NCL on account of the damage.[29] A revised itinerary with stops in Kailua and Lahaina was substituted until the end of April, and the repositioning cruise to Vancouver was cancelled to allow Norwegian Star to go into drydock early.[29]

Additional problems with the Azipods forced NCL take the Norwegian Star out-of-service for two weeks in April 2015, and cancel its repositioning cruise through the Panama Canal.[30] In December 2016, problems with one of the Azipods delayed the Norwegian Star's departure from Singapore and forced the curtailing of additional itineraries.[31] Three months later, the ship's Azipods failed off the coast of Victoria, Australia requiring it to be towed to Melbourne.

Regards

John

That was my point. I know that blanket statements say that everyone is equal, but reality is that some will be happy with the offer and others will not.

That'd be the same anyway. Even if there was different compensation, which doesn't make much sense, there'd still be some unhappy, and some happy.

That'd be the same anyway. Even if there was different compensation, which doesn't make much sense, there'd still be some unhappy, and some happy.

True but more may be unhappy, as others got more or better compensation than them (as what has happened between different cruises.

I read somewhere here that I cannot find that the so called refund does not include port taxes & charges thus it is less than what was actually paid for, is there any truth to this?

Sorry if I have my wires crossed with another thread.

And God bless all who sail in her!

I read somewhere here that I cannot find that the so called refund does not include port taxes & charges thus it is less than what was actually paid for, is there any truth to this?

Sorry if I have my wires crossed with another thread.

And God bless all who sail in her!

I'm thinking you're right as my refund/Future Cruise Credit for the 16th was the fare before taxes and port charges were paid. We also got a refund on the unused port taxes.

From someone on board in another thread

"Captain is speaking now. He says the technicians need a little more time before we depart. Then we will be testing slow, then a little faster, then faster, then we anchor in Port Phillips for 3 hours for divers to inspect us."

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Forums mobile app

From someone on board in another thread

"Captain is speaking now. He says the technicians need a little more time before we depart. Then we will be testing slow, then a little faster, then faster, then we anchor in Port Phillips for 3 hours for divers to inspect us."

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Forums mobile app

Hard for divers to work underwater in the dark , cannot see a dive boat alongside or near you

any ideas??

Regards

John