Norwegian Star broken down near Melbourne; cruise ship to be towed and repaired

First Azipod broke down 10th December, so they've been limping for 2 months. Great plan NCL!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So what's new? The USA sends another elderly, busted ship down under to fill up with unsuspecting Aussies !!

When P&O's Aurora broke down in Auckland a few years ago , she was here for about 4 days while parts that were flown out were fitted. During that time the line put on free busses and took the passengers on day tours in and around Auckland and the surrounding area.

The Australian Maritime Safety people need to take a close look at this ship before it departs on the next cruise. All main propulsion systems need to be working.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Naaa they need a bit of paper from the Bahamas telling us the ship is ok :o

This cruise should really have been cancelled. Feel sorry for all those who didn't cancel and take the refund. Hope they haven't run out of alcohol! The news is all over it now - PR nightmare. I predict some really good prices next summer.

Sadly there was no refund before the cruise began. It was a future cruise credit which is not the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Apparently it had a busted propeller when it got here recently unfortunately Bunnings doesn't stock props for that model cruise ship,

Props R Us was shut over the weekend it was here so they sent down some divers with some really tough old skins from the custard in the MDR to try to tack over the issue.

Unfortunately they didn't realise that custard skins are considered a delicacy by the seals that live off Wilsons Prom whereby the ship met its not so sticky end and is currently adrift.

There are unconfirmed reports of seals circling the ship on their backs clapping their fins in a show of thanks for the custard.

There are also unconfirmed reports of passengers lining the rails clapping back at the seals for stopping them crossing the Tasman in a pastry shell

:D:D:D

You are hysterical! I'm sure that sense of humour gets you through a lot in life. Good on 'ya!

Wikipedia reports the Star was out of action in April 2015 for two weeks due to Azipod problems and her departure was delayed in a cruise out of Singapore in December 2016 due to the same problems so it looks as though the present problems were waiting to happen

I did a Google search and came up with azipod troubles in 2094, 2005, 2012 and 2015 in addition to the current problem. Sending the lemons to Australia!

Edited by Blue Elephant
Edited to change adipose to azipod. LOL!

Apparently it had a busted propeller when it got here recently unfortunately Bunnings doesn't stock props for that model cruise ship,

Props R Us was shut over the weekend it was here so they sent down some divers with some really tough old skins from the custard in the MDR to try to tack over the issue.

Unfortunately they didn't realise that custard skins are considered a delicacy by the seals that live off Wilsons Prom whereby the ship met its not so sticky end and is currently adrift.

There are unconfirmed reports of seals circling the ship on their backs clapping their fins in a show of thanks for the custard.

There are also unconfirmed reports of passengers lining the rails clapping back at the seals for stopping them crossing the Tasman in a pastry shell

:D:D:D

I thought Bunnings sold everything.

Yes, first they send the old ones to those of us in California where they have a fire and the passengers are stranded in poor conditions (think no toilets, no refrigeration for fresh food, no air conditioning) for 3 days.(Carnival Splendor) Then they send them to you in Australia!

Feel so bad for the people on board the ship! Hope everything goes safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did a Google search and came up with azipod troubles in 2094, 2005, 2012 and 2015 in addition to the current problem. Sending the lemons to Australia!

I didn't know google could predict the future [emoji14]

Hopefully by 2094 ncl will send us a new ship!

I notice Spirit of Tassie is doing some circle work outside Port Philip Bay while they get the SS Dutch Custard through the rip and out of the way of seaworthy vessels.

Luckily wave height is approx 1 m at the moment. It can get quite lumpy around there and I believe it is rated as #5 in the world for most dangerous currents etc

I notice Spirit of Tassie is doing some circle work outside Port Philip Bay while they get the SS Dutch Custard through the rip and out of the way of seaworthy vessels.

Luckily wave height is approx 1 m at the moment. It can get quite lumpy around there and I believe it is rated as #5 in the world for most dangerous currents etc

According to BOM slack time was 15:04 local, so they timed it well. The rip is predicted to be over 5 kn out at 18:00!

Quite a little flotilla around the luxury barge. Melbourne ports, coastguard, Victoria police, not to mention the 3 tugs. The Pacific Jewel is heading out, wonder if the CD will tell the passengers to look port......

We're feeling very sorry for everyone booked on upcoming Star cruises but we can't help feeling relieved. We booked an exceptionally well located balcony cabin last May for the B2B Singapore to Venice via the Suez Canal. In September someone in the Sydney office sold our deposit paid cabin to people in Dubai. NCL were not interested in looking after us at all. Not even the head honchos in Miami were interested, so we cancelled. To say we were disappointed is an understatement and to top it off, NCL took forever to refund our deposit. It's not a good start for NCL entering the Australian market.

We're feeling very sorry for everyone booked on upcoming Star cruises but we can't help feeling relieved. We booked an exceptionally well located balcony cabin last May for the B2B Singapore to Venice via the Suez Canal. In September someone in the Sydney office sold our deposit paid cabin to people in Dubai. NCL were not interested in looking after us at all. Not even the head honchos in Miami were interested, so we cancelled. To say we were disappointed is an understatement and to top it off, NCL took forever to refund our deposit. It's not a good start for NCL entering the Australian market.

I don't understand their reluctance to do things better and fix their PR mess.