Norwegian Star broken down near Melbourne; cruise ship to be towed and repaired

Agreed. Brisbane is likely to get an upgraded port and there is a lot to support it; well located, close to infrastructure and so on.

Gold coast was looked at, but is not viable.

It's a pity that the air terminals are on the north side of the airport. If they were on the south side, you could have just about stepped off the plane onto the new cruise terminal.

The latest:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbanes-100m-luggage-point-cruise-ship-terminal-to-be-ready-by-late-2019-20170222-guj1yr.html

Australia gets the hand me down SHIPS because our market is so small.

There is nothing wrong with the current older SHIPS we have permanently in Australia.

We also get more modern SHIPS during the summer.

The idea that the Gold Coast should have a cruise SHIP port has been proved to be unviable on cost alone. The new Brisbane cruise terminal opposite the grain berth will no doubt go ahead as the deep water berth & turning basin is already available.

I do agree that the current ships out here are sufficient but the fact of the matter is that the better ships and itinerary's leave from the southern state!

Although Brisbane has P&O based in Brisbane they take advantage this as no other cruise line leaves from here regularly .

All P&O Itinerary's from Brisbane are ALWAYS more expensive than the eastern states due to this.

Sorry off topic

Edited by SuitesRbest
Addition

I

All P&O Itinerary's from Brisbane are ALWAYS more expensive than the eastern states due to this.

Never noticed this before...always wondered why people said P&O are cheap - they sure aren't here. But when there is no competition I guess you can charge what you want

International cruise goers would line up to have the GC for a port on an Australian Itinerary don't you think?

I disagree. Most overseas people don't even know where the Gold Coast is. If it was popular, cruise lines would already run day trips to the Gold Coast from Brisbane. Most popular attractions seem to be the city of Brisbane, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Brisbane or the Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast.

...just letting everyone know we had a wonderful day in Port Kembla/Wollongong. We had a free shuttle into Wollongong with volunteers onboard each bus to explain what we could do, another free shuttle around the town. Some of us hopped off and went to the botanical gardens, then got back on. There were friendly volunteers all around town to answer questions, give directions or just have a chat. The city beach was easy to walk to- lovely surf beach with nice clean sand. Lifeguards/ flags marking the safe supervised areas to swim. You could also walk or take the free shuttle to the North Beach. We all commented how surprised we were and what a great day we all had. Some went to art galleries, the mall, walked along the esplanade , lunches at the lifesaving club or the many restaurants or takeaway cafes along the beach etc. Swimming in the salt water pools between the two beaches. Us Aussies actually thought it was better than a stop at Brisbane. We also had a beautiful sunny day!

Thanks for that report. Yes, the 'gong is not the hellhole some suggest. Whilst it would not likely be a port one would have high on their wishlist, reality is there is a lot to do & see there. Last year we travelled down there from Sydney for a music event, and spent a nice day there beforehand, including a nice lunch at the surf club. I think some people are only happy when they are complaining!

It's a pity that the air terminals are on the north side of the airport. If they were on the south side, you could have just about stepped off the plane onto the new cruise terminal.

The latest:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbanes-100m-luggage-point-cruise-ship-terminal-to-be-ready-by-late-2019-20170222-guj1yr.html

I was surprised at the photo of a cabin as shown in the Brisbane Times article. I suspect it is a room in the medical centre. It certainly doesn't look like any cabin I have seen. :)

I

Never noticed this before...always wondered why people said P&O are cheap - they sure aren't here. But when there is no competition I guess you can charge what you want

I've done two P&Os- one from Sydney, one from Brisbane and I don't need to do anymore. P&O ships and my stomach just don't get on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

karoo - glad to hear you had a good day at Woollongong- lovely place. Good to hear the locals are supportive

I think this was only the second cruise ship to stop at Port Kembla. The locals have been having a comedy field day on radio but they're out in force to ensure the dollar keeps coming :) And the volunteers at Wollongong aren't the only ones working hard in the newer Aussie ports. In Busselton, WA the whole community is involved every time one of the ships drops anchor in Geographe Bay. And they're not just helping you get to the Margaret River vineyards.

But closer to the Gong, recent storms over the past 12 months have seen quite a few cruise ships sheltering in Jervis Bay. Look out for Nowra to start lobbying to become a cruise port! Bega/Eden is already on the map and wishing for more opportunities. The South Coast of NSW has a lot to offer and is ready and eager to welcome us all.

I was surprised at the photo of a cabin as shown in the Brisbane Times article. I suspect it is a room in the medical centre. It certainly doesn't look like any cabin I have seen. :)

Technically it does say a "room" rather than a cabin. ;)

Agreed, not a regular passenger cabin. I go for spa as the bed adornment is unlikely to be in the medical centre.

Not that this comment is about the ship breaking down, but just letting everyone know we had a wonderful day in Port Kembla/Wollongong. We had a free shuttle into Wollongong with volunteers onboard each bus to explain what we could do, another free shuttle around the town. Some of us hopped off and went to the botanical gardens, then got back on. There were friendly volunteers all around town to answer questions, give directions or just have a chat. The city beach was easy to walk to- lovely surf beach with nice clean sand. Lifeguards/ flags marking the safe supervised areas to swim. You could also walk or take the free shuttle to the North Beach. We all commented how surprised we were and what a great day we all had. Some went to art galleries, the mall, walked along the esplanade , lunches at the lifesaving club or the many restaurants or takeaway cafes along the beach etc. Swimming in the salt water pools between the two beaches. Us Aussies actually thought it was better than a stop at Brisbane. We also had a beautiful sunny day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the report.

I disagree. Most overseas people don't even know where the Gold Coast is. If it was popular, cruise lines would already run day trips to the Gold Coast from Brisbane. Most popular attractions seem to be the city of Brisbane, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, Brisbane or the Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast.

Actually next Saturday, 4 March QM2 whilst in Brisbane is operating shuttles to Surfers Paradise, actually a shorex, leave you there for 5 hours then take you back to the ship. Cost $62 pp. So Gold Coast exposure, it is already happening.

Actually next Saturday, 4 March QM2 whilst in Brisbane is operating shuttles to Surfers Paradise, actually a shorex, leave you there for 5 hours then take you back to the ship. Cost $62 pp. So Gold Coast exposure, it is already happening.

...subject to traffic conditions. When we did it many years ago the traffic was at a standstill and by the time they had dropped folk off at Theme Parks and a shopping centre on the way , we only had about 1 hour at Broadbeach before we had to set off on the return journey so as to get everyone back to the ship on time.

That is good to hear and a good price for shorex direct from the ship.

Hope passengers get longer at the Coast than David's one hour.

...subject to traffic conditions. When we did it many years ago the traffic was at a standstill and by the time they had dropped folk off at Theme Parks and a shopping centre on the way , we only had about 1 hour at Broadbeach before we had to set off on the return journey so as to get everyone back to the ship on time.

That is not good young David, we won't be taking that shorex to the GC anyway, going to take the Cunard complimentary shuttle into Queen St Mall area in Brisvegas CBD, late morning to have lunch with brother and sister. I advised them not to come to the ship after being forewarned on here of traffic congestion at Fishermans Island on other big ship visits, like last week, Ovation of the Seas,:halo:

Would be worse on weekends, more cruise tragics on the road.

That is not good young David, we won't be taking that shorex to the GC anyway, going to take the Cunard complimentary shuttle into Queen St Mall area in Brisvegas CBD, late morning to have lunch with brother and sister. I advised them not to come to the ship after being forewarned on here of traffic congestion at Fishermans Island on other big ship visits, like last week, Ovation of the Seas,:halo:

Les, the reported congestion was on the other side of the river where people went to see the ships, not near the wharf where the ships were tied up.

Les, the reported congestion was on the other side of the river where people went to see the ships, not near the wharf where the ships were tied up.

I still think it is a better plan to meet in town for lunch than have them meet you, the roads around the grain terminal are a headache at the best of times.