Gem 10 night questions

Momof3gurlz

Heading out soon on the Gem 10 night Eastern itinerary and I have a couple of questions. Anyone know which 2 nights are the Dress Up or Not/ Norwegian's Night Out nights? We did this cruise 2 years ago when it was a 9 night and I do remember the 2nd night of the cruise being one of the optional "formal" nights, but don't recall when the second optional dress up night was. Also since it's now a 10 night itinerary, not sure if they've changed. I've also seen some conflicting information about shorts in the dining rooms. If I understand correctly, they are allowed in Magenta, but not in Grand Pacific or any of the specialty venues. Hoping someone can clarify so I can finalize packing. Thanks in advance!

Your information about shorts is correct. As for as Norwegian Night Out and Dress Up or Not nights - yes, the first one is usually the first day at sea. I have no idea when the other one is because we NEVER dress up on NCL but most likely it will be a sea day. Do bring something for the girls to wear to the White Hot/Glow party. In addition to white clothes, you might bring glow in the dark deely boppers or makeup or hair lights or temporary tattoos - there are all kinds of crazy glow in the dark items that would make the White Hot/Glow party fun for them.

Your information about shorts is correct. As for as Norwegian Night Out and Dress Up or Not nights - yes, the first one is usually the first day at sea. I have no idea when the other one is because we NEVER dress up on NCL but most likely it will be a sea day. Do bring something for the girls to wear to the White Hot/Glow party. In addition to white clothes, you might bring glow in the dark deely boppers or makeup or hair lights or temporary tattoos - there are all kinds of crazy glow in the dark items that would make the White Hot/Glow party fun for them.

Every NCL cruise I have been on my husband was allowed to wear shorts in all restaurants except Le bistro and the aft main dining room.

We were on the Gem Jan.18 for a 10 day Eastern cruise and, to be honest, I don't remember seeing more than a few people dressed up. I know that on one of the "Dress up or not nights", we were in Cagney's and everyone there seemed to be dressed in casual clothes. I do admit that I may not be the best person to respond to your post as we no longer dress up for dinner and really don't pay attention to other cruiser's atire. My days of dragging formals and heels on board are over! That's why we love NCL. No requirements. I can tell you that we had a great cruise. Food was very good. The shows were entertaining, in particular a comedian named Tim Kaminski was fabulous.

The staff were friendly an we enjoyed great service. We loved this cruise so much we booked again for this May.

We're doing our first NCL cruise on the Gem in a couple weeks. Can you expand on what the White Hot/Glowparty is.

Heading out soon on the Gem 10 night Eastern itinerary and I have a couple of questions. Anyone know which 2 nights are the Dress Up or Not/ Norwegian's Night Out nights? We did this cruise 2 years ago when it was a 9 night and I do remember the 2nd night of the cruise being one of the optional "formal" nights, but don't recall when the second optional dress up night was. Also since it's now a 10 night itinerary, not sure if they've changed. I've also seen some conflicting information about shorts in the dining rooms. If I understand correctly, they are allowed in Magenta, but not in Grand Pacific or any of the specialty venues. Hoping someone can clarify so I can finalize packing. Thanks in advance!

We were on the January 18th cruise and did get dressed up for our dinner at LeBistro on the 2nd night. I saw a few other tuxes that night but not too many. I don't remember a 2nd Dress Up or Not night although that could have been because of the UBP.

Every NCL cruise I have been on my husband was allowed to wear shorts in all restaurants except Le bistro and the aft main dining room.

I will be going on my 2nd NCL cruise this May on the Jade. Will this same rule apply?

I didn't pay attention to what others wore last cruise or for that matter what end of the ship we dined at,so going forward is it the standard that the Aft main dining room is "dressier" on all ships?

DH prefers to wear what I consider resort casual shorts and a button up shirt. If this is not appropriate for the dining area I would like to make some packing adjustments.

Thank you for you input

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Dress code has become even more relaxed than it was a couple years ago - which was already pretty relaxed. A couple years ago I witnessed people being turned away from Grand Pacific because they were wearing shorts. Not this time around. Shorts, t-shirts, jeans, baseball caps - all fair game. Not in Le Bistro, admittedly; but that was a more mature crowd and perhaps the neater dress was due to that, although even there jackets were once predominant for men, but no longer.

Dress code has become even more relaxed than it was a couple years ago - which was already pretty relaxed. A couple years ago I witnessed people being turned away from Grand Pacific because they were wearing shorts. Not this time around. Shorts, t-shirts, jeans, baseball caps - all fair game. Not in Le Bistro, admittedly; but that was a more mature crowd and perhaps the neater dress was due to that, although even there jackets were once predominant for men, but no longer.

I have had times in the Gem & the Jewel where they sent people from the relaxed dining room to the aft dining room even with shorts as there were long waits for the relaxed dining room. But just this past January on the Jade they strictly enforced the no shorts rule in the aft dining room. There were people in jeans and baseball hats but they turned away older gentlemen in shorts and polos who looked much nicer.

But the rule is usually no shorts in the formal (aft) dining room or in Le Bistro.

• 2 weeks later...

This recent 2017 GEM Freestyle Daily page has the written guideline, resort casual wear are fine everywhere except Grand Pacifica (AFT MDR) and LeBistro after 5 PM. Thus, shorts can be worn even for Cagney (steak house) for dinner - whether it's strictly enforced or not, that's not for anyone on the sideline to predict with absolute certainty unless onboard ... sometimes at the discretion of the host/ess on duty.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8y9swg1w6d6h99a/FSD-Day%20SF%20Hours%20%26%20Schedule%20-%20Gem.jpg?dl=0

One of our niece's hubby was turned away 2 years ago on the Breakaway for dinner in the AFT MDR - Manhattan one evening but last year, there're quite a few wearing shorts for dinner. A clean & neat pair of khaki pants or Docker slacks with polo collared shirt usually suffice - I travel & pack those in the carry-on backpack, taking minimum space & won't wrinkle easily. Neatless to say, no flip-flops or beach sandals but dark colored boat shoes or slip-ons always get me into places, including F lounges at the airports. Just a matter of looking neat, presentable and blended into the surroundings.