Kids Menu on Ruby Princess?

DeloreanGirl

Hi all!

My husband and our 3-year-old son will be sailing in a few weeks on Ruby. I've searched the net for kids menus on Princess to no avail. Do these exist? Or is the buffet in order for him? He's in that toddler/picky eating stage. Our plan was to feed him dinner at the buffet and then have him play in the kids club while we at in the main dining room if the MDR didn't have simplistic kid foods. Any tips/tricks/pics are appreciated. Thanks!

The kid's menu includes: hot dogs, spaghetti with a huge meatball or 2, mac & cheese, chicken bites, stuff like that.

Dessert includes the volcano (massive banana split - pictures have been posted here), jello, plus usual kid type desserts.

BTW: anyone can order from the kid's menu. If you meet resistance from your waiter, ask to speak to the head waiter or maitré d'.

I've ordered the volcano myself.

Your son can mix items from the kid's menu and the adult menu if you see anything that he may want to try.

Me too. It's much larger than my usual creme brulee desert but had to try it at least once. The waitress at the time lit up and really loved that I had ordered it. :D

Edit: Looked around a bit. This isn't new but is likely still pretty accurate:

ALPHABET SOUP

Pasta letters swimming in a sea of chicken broth

GARDEN SALAD

The Power Rangers flex their muscles on the greens plucked from the Princess vegetable patch

SPAGHETTI SNAKES

Slippery, slithering rattler noodles with meat balls and tomato sauce

HIGH SEAS HOT DOG

A real "Wiener"! Our plump, 100% beef hot dog is served on a bun with all the condiments, including coleslaw, potato chips or steak fries

BUCCANEER BURGER

The juiciest quarter pounder afloat. Served plain or with cheese and a big side order of French fries

CHICK-CHICK-CHICKEN FINGERS

A hands-down favorite at Princess Cruises dipped in BBQ sauce or ranch dressing

FISH STICKS

Swords from the sea wage a winning battle with ketchup or a creamy tartar sauce and a heap of shoestring potatoes

LOVE BOAT VOLCANO

A mountain of ice cream erupting with heaps of hot fudge, sliced banana and whipped cream with a bright red cherry on top

CRUISE CHIPS

A delicious, chewy cookie packed full of rich chunks of chocolate to be scarfed down by themselves or as a sandwich with vanilla ice cream

FRUIT SALAD

The fresh, juicy colorful mix that makes Barney big, strong and happy

ORANGE JUICE, APPLE JUICE, OR A GLASS OF "MOO" (We have chocolate syrup too....)

Me too. It's much larger than my usual creme brulee desert but had to try it at least once. The waitress at the time lit up and really loved that I had ordered it. :D

Edit: Looked around a bit. This isn't new but is likely still pretty accurate:

ALPHABET SOUP

Pasta letters swimming in a sea of chicken broth

CHICK-CHICK-CHICKEN FINGERS

A hands-down favorite at Princess Cruises dipped in BBQ sauce or ranch dressing

The chicken fingers are REALLY GOOD. My travel companion sometimes orders a double order of them for his meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...and don't be afraid to ask for things that you don't see on the menu, (assuming that your son isn't looking for unusual items like a duck egg omelette and alligator hash). The ship's galley is full of common items that can be prepared for you. Sometimes it helps to ask a day in advance. But in terms of whipping up something relatively "plain" (sorry, I'm trying to come up with a less pejorative term but am failing at the moment) for a 3 year old, the galley staff should be able to help you out. For example, if spaghetti with tomato sauce isn't up his alley, but noodles with butter and cheese is his favorite, just ask and I'll bet it will appear. The restaurant will serve a ton of fettuccini Alfredo each night. No doubt they can turn that dish into buttered noodles for a 3 year old.

The menu posted looks like the one I remember. My DS was 3 when we took him on his first cruise, he's now 11. He loved the spaghetti and meatballs. He ordered it almost every night. The fruit is good as is the alphabet soup. His absolute favorite thing on the kids menu are the cruise chip chocolate chip cookies, we often took them back to the cabin for a late night snack. (mom and dad will never admit to eating them after he went to sleep) The strawberry soup on the adult menu is also a favorite of his. No worries you will find plenty for him to eat.

Happy Cruising!!!

Sent from my D6708 using Forums mobile app

. For example, if spaghetti with tomato sauce isn't up his alley, but noodles with butter and cheese is his favorite, just ask and I'll bet it will appear. The restaurant will serve a ton of fettuccini Alfredo each night. No doubt they can turn that dish into buttered noodles for a 3 year old.

We traveled with a 7 year old once who ordered butter and noodles every meal. She was accommodated with no questions and nothing pre-arranged. You are right, they are very accommodating.

And their chicken fingers are very good. they are made of real chicken breast strips. And the spaghetti is good. Really - I do order off the adult menu most of the time :)

Hi all!

My husband and our 3-year-old son will be sailing in a few weeks on Ruby. I've searched the net for kids menus on Princess to no avail. Do these exist? Or is the buffet in order for him? He's in that toddler/picky eating stage. Our plan was to feed him dinner at the buffet and then have him play in the kids club while we at in the main dining room if the MDR didn't have simplistic kid foods. Any tips/tricks/pics are appreciated. Thanks!

My youngest was super picky as a kid. Even so he rarely ordered from the kids menu. He did at first, but he liked what his older brother got too. So, we found he liked the idea of picking his own food. We usually requested the kids menu and let him check both out (yes, at 3) :) We would persuade him but he didn't always listen.

We made sure he ordered enough to eat, but not to waste. Now at 9, he eats a lot from the non kid menu. He's not a heavy kid, just a hearty eater. :)

The burgers in the MDR are different than what they serve at the Grill and it's a different burger nightly in the MDR too, if your son likes burgers.

I think your son will have lots of choices in the MDR, before you think you have to go the buffet and fill him up, try the MDR and see how he likes it.

I think your son will have lots of choices in the MDR, before you think you have to go the buffet and fill him up, try the MDR and see how he likes it.

Thanks! I think we might try MDR with him on one or more of the nights. My worry was more about him trying to stay put and sit still for an hour. We sailed Disney last May with him when he was 2.5 and he made it through those dinners only because they were themed and/or with characters. I'm sure once we get on Ruby, we'll have a mish-mash of dinner types between MDR/Lido/etc with him. :)

Save

Thanks! I think we might try MDR with him on one or more of the nights. My worry was more about him trying to stay put and sit still for an hour. We sailed Disney last May with him when he was 2.5 and he made it through those dinners only because they were themed and/or with characters. I'm sure once we get on Ruby, we'll have a mish-mash of dinner types between MDR/Lido/etc with him. :)

Save

Yes, attention span... I had forgotten about that part. Well, as dreadful as it is, what about an iPad to help keep him busy? Not ideal but he might willingly sit through dinner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, attention span... I had forgotten about that part. Well, as dreadful as it is, what about an iPad to help keep him busy? Not ideal but he might willingly sit through dinner?

It's true that an iPad might keep him busy, but that's one of those slippery slope things. Once you let kids bring their electronics to the dinner table, it's pretty hard to put a stop to it. You end up with kids totally focused on their screens.

It's true that an iPad might keep him busy, but that's one of those slippery slope things. Once you let kids bring their electronics to the dinner table, it's pretty hard to put a stop to it. You end up with kids totally focused on their screens.

Oh, I completely understand that it's not ideal but it was what I could think of that could work for a 3 year old.

My kids don't bring electronics to the table but they are older and their attention span can last a dinner. If bringing an iPad was the only way we could get my youngest to keep it together for dinner, then I would do it.

It's a balance. You want to do something that isn't disruptive to others but allows your family to enjoy a meal

Sav

If I remember correctly, the back of the kids menu can be used as a coloring book/page and the waitstaff has colors.