British Airways

dickinson

I believe it refers to the hardware that runs the entertainment on the seat back TV screens. It restricts the amount of under seat storage space for personal items.

Does it totally take it away or can you just store your undersea storage in the upper bin?

Question, since I haven't done it. Is the cost, on BA, of picking one's seat so prohibitive for your S ticket class, that you find it unreasonable. Or are you just pinching pennies, which is OK also? I'm over 6' 1" , and if I was flying the cheap seats in economy, I wouldn't hesitate to pay a reasonable amount to choose my own seats to obtain a bit of comfort on that 8 hr TA flight! As was mentioned before, I would also explore a move up to PE , if offered on that flight. It would be interesting to see what that cost is for upgrade from S to PE.

FWIW, later this year, I'm flying on AA non stop from FCO to PHL, then on to BNA! No stops at LHR! Advantage of taking the air credit and booking it yourself. Primarily because of the outrageous taxes for flying through LHR, the only time I do is when I'm going to London. Because of those taxes, AA/BA is typically non competitive on any flights where they attempt to route one through LHR, particularly in Business Class where the tax exponentiates!

Outside of the principle, How much does it cost to call BA and pick one's seat pre-24 hours?

If one doesn't want the worry and hassle the OP is going through, how much does BA charge to do early seat assignment for regular economy seating?

I googled it myself. Unless the price has gone up recently it's $42 per ticket, so $84 total for the two of them to have early piece of mind.

Let principle roar! The OP admits she's short and for her it doesn't matter. For me, at 6'1", it'd be reflex without any thought, pay the money and have a better opportunity at a more choice seat!

Edited by pinotlover
Googled it myself

I have never had to pay for seats before so it is the principle.

OMG. A dozen years ago, one never paid for checked baggage. Guess it was supposed to be locked in stone for perpetuity. Just like free seat assignments.

Also seems that the principle wasn't important enough to check out and confirm before you bought through Princess.

Why is the 787-8 the least comfortable in economy? This is an almost 8 hour flight for us. My dh is 6' with long legs and never very comfortable on most aircraft as his knees just barely hit the seat in front of him. He likes aisle seats. I would want to sit next to him but I am short and have no problem. Is it the pitch of the seat that is the issue or are they hard seats so therefore uncomfortable? Where should we pick our seats?
It's the width of the seats - these are the narrowest long-haul seats in the fleet. I've seen cabin crew comment that they've never seen so many people choosing to stand in the cabin just to get out of the seats - and on the one occasions that I was on a 787-8, I saw some of that myself.

But if you're prepared to pay, you may get some seats that are less uncomfortable.

I believe it refers to the hardware that runs the entertainment on the seat back TV screens. It restricts the amount of under seat storage space for personal items.

It can also restrict space for your legs.

I would never fly economy on such a long flight --done it too many times when we were younger! Premium economy makes a world of difference.

At this point you are going to have limited choices on seating as many folks will have paid to ensure their aisle seats in advance. Can you see what is still available?

Primarily because of the outrageous taxes for flying through LHR, the only time I do is when I'm going to London. Because of those taxes, AA/BA is typically non competitive on any flights where they attempt to route one through LHR, particularly in Business Class where the tax exponentiates!
You don't pay UK Air Passenger Duty if you're simply connecting at LHR. So routing through LHR shouldn't in itself add greatly to the cost.

Kind of off topic, but the new KAL 787s have the hardware built into each seat!! This allows standard legroom at each seat.

If one touches LHR there is still an additional tax. If one originates or ends at LHR the tax is greater. The question becomes does AA or BA , or even Star Alliance, opt to eat the tax to make the flight more cost competitive. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Most often NO. That's why AA was offering flights through places such as Dusseldorf to avoid LHR and offer cheaper fares. Problem was the connections were with Air Berlin which has often horrible results .Qantus, Cathay Pacific, and others are getting tired of the issues! Hell, I have to call the platinum line, to get pricing, because their stupid computer system spits out insane prices for certain routing. Even their own agents bitch about the way their insane computer system is pricing certain routes, and they have to toil to get reasonable rates. If you're not high status, you can never get the help for reasonable rates. I still fly AA a lot, but it gets more stressful as time goes on to do so! Senior Mgt has taken a nose dive at AA. The only question is will the board eject them before that plane crashes? The loser USAirlines, and their previous management mentality, along with their older planes, is killing the AA logo.

The loser USAirlines, and their previous management mentality, along with their older planes, is killing the AA logo.

Even some of the newer ones. I would much rather fly on an AA A321 than a recently delivered, ordered by USAir A321.

If one touches LHR there is still an additional tax. If one originates or ends at LHR the tax is greater.
This is still wrong. With one exception, it is either not true or nothing to do with the journey touching LHR rather than anywhere else.

If you take two flights to your destination instead of one, you will probably pay more in taxes, fees and charges than if you take a non-stop flight. But the total of those for connecting at LHR are broadly the same as the total for connecting at comparable airports.

For example, if you fly from NYC to Berlin on 30 October on the lowest economy fare, these are the taxes, fees and charges payable today for connecting at the following airports:-

CDG $423.76

LHR $442.06

FRA $445.66

If you fly from NYC to Paris on 30 October, the taxes, fees and charges payable today are as follows:-

Non-stop $366.56

Connecting at LHR $412.56

Connecting at FRA $417.66

As you can see, connecting at LHR is no more expensive in TFC than connecting at CDG or FRA. Connecting at LHR or FRA is more expensive in TFC than a non-stop, but this is to do with there being two flights rather than one.

The exception is if you start a journey at LHR, in which case you pay UK Air Passenger Duty. This is not payable if you end a journey at LHR or if you connect at LHR.

We're soon to fly BA for the first time (booked through EZair) and when I logged on to BA website I got a msg saying free seat assignment so I picked our seats! I'm now paid in full and have since changed some of the seats. I hope 2hr5min is enough time to transfer at Heathrow since we have to go through security again I hear.

I hope 2hr5min is enough time to transfer at Heathrow since we have to go through security again I hear.

2hrs 5mins is enough to cover the legal minimum connection time for all LHR connections. Of course whether or not you make the connection is another matter. I had a 4hr BA-BA connection within T5 last summer and missed it because my incoming flight was delayed. 1200 Euros in compensation softened the blow.

You will need to clear security again, follow the purple signs for Flight Connections when you land.

I had no problem with picking seats Rome to LHR. My flight from LHR to home was the issue I think because it is a code share flight with American Airlines but on BA. Right now we are debating which seats to purchase. I hear this aircraft is jammed with seats. Our connection is 2 hours too. Didn't know we had to go through security again! Hope we don't miss the flight!

What is your routing?

I'm not Athonyy7 but I'm curious as to why routing matters. Our connection is 2 hours too (BA Rome to LHR and then LHR to Baltimore all on BA). Will we have time (assuming plane is not late)? We are scheduled to arrive into LHR around 1:40 pm and new flight is 3:40 pm. We will be purchasing seats (as much as I dislike the idea we can't work around it) but will be near the back of the plane.

I'm not Athonyy7 but I'm curious as to why routing matters.
The main thing the question screens for is whether there's a terminal change. But even without a terminal change, there are differences between different types of connection. For example, some (but not many) intra-T5 connections don't require security screening. The type of connection you have can also have an effect on the recommended route through T5.

The main thing the question screens for is whether there's a terminal change. But even without a terminal change, there are differences between different types of connection. For example, some (but not many) intra-T5 connections don't require security screening. The type of connection you have can also have an effect on the recommended route through T5.

Thanks. Can you tell from my info I've posted if I'll have to clear security again? I assume we won't be one of the lucky few who don't have to do so.

Can you tell from my info I've posted if I'll have to clear security again?
Yes, you will. The exceptions to this are domestic-to-international connections. But your routing has you both arriving at T5 and departing from T5, so you should be fine with your timing.

Thanks, Globaliser. Now all we have to do is go and pay for the awful seats on this plane. I can't believe how bad they are. I went to Flyer Talk yesterday and read a lot and all the complaints. Sounds inhumane to cram people in so tightly especially on a long haul flight.

We're flying LAS-LHR-ATH, BCN-LHR-LAS on the return. We are sitting in the back in the row with 2 seats so it will take some time to disembark the 747. Is the security just for those in transit or is it mixed in with those coming in off street as well? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums